Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 10,369 times

Advertisements

Hi there

We are looking to relocate to the greater San Diego area and found that RSF has all the elements were are hoping to find in our next home -- ie. custom home, great schools that support 504 plans for children, social supportive environment, politically well adjusted to variety of opinions, welcomes "new money", down to earth people.

We are in our early 50s, white with a 9 yr old son who has ADHD. Husband works from home (virtual office), and we have a small dog.

Questions:

which neighborhood would suit us best -- Bridges, Fairbanks Ranch or the Crosby?

We don't know anyone there so I'm looking for an easy adjustment and a recommendations base for doctors, schools, hair stylist, where to buy things, etc. I really would like down to earth women who are not "plastic and full of themselves to only downgrade other women types", husband would like a cycling buddy, playmates for my son.

We felt that Cielo was too far from everything, only track homes in Carlsbad/Encinitas, didn't care for the horse area of Olivenhavin, didn't like the landscape and vibe of SantaLuz.

Please share your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 PM

673 posts, read 465,835 times
Welp, if you can affort RSF then go for it. But, there are no grocery stores close by so it is a bit of a hike. It's nice but guess where most of the business are? Encinitas and Del Mar

Olivenhain is in Encinitas. You don't like horses?.........hmmm

Old 02-21-2018, 05:26 PM

381 posts, read 344,539 times
Sounds like Solana Beach/Cedros may be more your thing. More “earthy” than old money RSF.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
"only track homes in Carlsbad/Encinitas"

Far from true. You need to get a realtor to show you around.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:57 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Good morning! And congrats on deciding to move to our beautiful corner of the world. :-)

Okay, so we have family in RSF, plus we are semi-active real estate professionals, and we're curious explorers that like to check out every nook and cranny of the area, so I definnitely have some personal and professional opinions about all three areas.

First of all, the Bridges, the Crosby, and Fairbanks are all beautiful in their own way. The Bridges would be considered the most prestigious of these, and the prices of the homes would reflect that. The Crosby is like a somewhat less expensive version of the Bridges, and the setting is also quite beautiful, but I do find that the non-custom homes have a definite tract home building quality unless they have been well upgraded. Custom homes are a different ballgame, of course. Both the Bridges and the Crosby have active golf and tennis clubs where you could meet neighbors, although I can't attest to the nature of the people you'd meet. You could always look into additional RSF social groups and clubs that meet in the little village, depending on your interest (I would be totally into the garden club, for example, but that's just me).

Fairbanks feels very different from the other two, with mature trees lining the streets and the homes being of various architectural styles. It feels a bit more like a California version of an East Coast luxury community. I will say that you can get some enormous homes for a great price in Fairbanks because some of them aren't to the latest interior design styles and need some refreshing, so if you're interested in a cosmetic fixer (which I've known people to do), then it could provide a great value for you. Also, keep in mind that Fairbanks doesn't have the Crosby's high Mello Roos school bonds, and there is an Elementary School *inside* the gates of Fairbanks where kids from the neighborhood and surrounding area attend. We have friends that live there who love that aspect of it. FYI, those friends may well be moving this summer and looking to sell their home -- it's not even on the market yet, but they did completely redo an older home top to bottom, and it's stunning, as well as single-story, which is really nice. There seem to always be a few great homes available in that area too.

So here's my rundown:

Bridges: You'll meet more super wealthy people (lots of Fortune 500 owners), most expensive and prestigious. Whether those people are genuine and down the Earth, you don't know until you meet them. :-)
Crosby: Gorgeous custom homes, decent tract homes, great club facilities, also newer and, like the Bridges, very Spanish-Mediterranean. Close to lots of shopping and dining.
Fairbanks: Established, tree-lined, traditional homes. Many large mansions. School inside the gates, no Mello Roos. Closer to the 5 freeway, Del Mar, and downtown RSF village.

Hope this helps a bit. PM me with any additional questions!

Old 02-26-2018, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,369 times
If we wanted to rent a home to research this over a longer period of time, where or who is a good rental agent? I'd prefer to rent in the area that we are most likely to buy and that would be RSF.

Does any one have a great property management co or a real estate agent that does rentals?

thanks! you all have been so very helpful!

Old 02-27-2018, 06:08 PM

160 posts, read 155,494 times
There are many many beautiful homes for sale in the Crosby. I am not sure why they don't sell faster other than high mella roos and HOA fees that don't exist in other neighborhoods.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
>I really would like down to earth women who are not "plastic"

I would stay out of RSF. Encinitas, Cardiff, Solana Beach, maybe Del Mar. If you only saw tract housing in Encinitas, you were in the eastern part of the city and you should check out Old Encinitas, the part along the 101 near the ocean. It's beautiful and definitely down to earth while still quite affluent.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Default I love Fairbanks Ranch and wouldn't live anywhere else!

I moved to Fairbanks Ranch with 2 small boys 25 years ago. I chose Fairbanks for several reasons that remain true today. I grew up on the East Coast and So Cal density and all the concrete around me was a bit much for me. Fairbanks feels like an east coast neighborhood with the trees. I also chose Fairbanks because of the wide streets for children to ride bikes. (Del Mar Country Club's streets are more narrow). A third reason I chose Fairbanks is the lake and clubhouse and walking trails that surround the lake with a wooded walking trail (that reminds me of the east coast) that goes to the Equestrian center. I wanted my boys to have the childhood that I had---run out the front door and explore. The boys loved growing up in this neighborhood.

There are all different kinds of women in Fairbanks Ranch. There are some that aren't my type and others that are. I met my best friends here when our kids were small and they are still my best friends today. (Not fake competitive friends, GREAT friends). I would also say that Fairbanks is international, with families from around the world. Since there are 700 lots, you are bound to find women that you like.

The security is great. As the years pass, the security has become even more important. At this point, I wouldn't live in a community that wasn't gated with security. On the NextDoor App, I read about people in surrounding areas getting their cars broken into every week.

I find the Bridges too far away, and we aren't a golf family.

There was something odd I read a few years ago about who owned the Crosby pool--it seemed like the story was saying a third party owned/ran the pool complex and there were some financial issues--so check that out.

Fairbanks is just a short hop in 3 different directions to shopping at 4S Ranch, Carmel Valley shops on the 56, or Del Mar Highlands.

AND, I am just 2 miles from my favorite place, Rancho Valencia.

I love the neighborhood and wouldn't live anywhere else.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:44 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
The Covenant of RSF is a nice place to hang yer hat. Occasionally, I'll ride a motorcycle through there. (Don't worry, most of my bikes are whisper quiet.) I don't want to spook the horses. Track bikes are never on the street.
Yep, a very nice area. And the gas station in the "village" has 100 octane unleaded gas, for your exotics! (Don't ask about the price!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego