Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we move our family
Solana Beach 3 42.86%
Old Carlsbad 1 14.29%
Other: Del Mar, Encinitas, etc .... 3 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 11:35 AM

10,137 posts, read 6,572,956 times

Advertisements

OP~

Here's a good choice~

3871 Margaret Way
Carlsbad 92008

2019sqft.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M1818445121
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 08:51 AM

771 posts, read 828,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~

Here's a good choice~

3871 Margaret Way
Carlsbad 92008

2019sqft.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M1818445121
Nice place -- but looks like it could be a flip? I'm always suspicious of flips because the flipper and potential buyer have such opposite pulls/desires. I've seen a lot of "lipstick on pig" flips in SD.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:55 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,357,165 times
So if you want kids and wine with neighbors, you want the newer, master-planned areas because those areas are mostly younger families with kids. In the "old" areas close to the coast, you have a mix of older, retired, young, vacation rental etc. Anyone young is going to be very wealthy. In fact, given the prices of homes, most families are priced out of those areas and sort into the more family-friendly areas anyway. Given the rising cost of housing a lot of people just stay put vs. sell as they age. Even a development from the 80's like Village Park or Lomas Santa Fe, you are going to find a lot of older residents.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 6,572,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Nice place -- but looks like it could be a flip? I'm always suspicious of flips because the flipper and potential buyer have such opposite pulls/desires. I've seen a lot of "lipstick on pig" flips in SD.
I rode by yesterday evening. And, you're right. It does appear to be a "lipsticked pig." Too bad too, as it's in a PRIME location. Oh well, onward and upward!

Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,810,082 times
I lived in Encinitas for many years. Personally Solana Beach never held any attraction to me as far as its vibe. There’s really no “downtown” area. Wealthy area, squeezed between Del Mar and Encinitas, and always seemed kind of snooty IMO. Lots of strip mall shopping except for the Designer District. Amtrak and Coaster Service is right there. I mean, if someone gave me a house there I wouldn’t complain but I’d probably sell it. It’s probably a more prestigious place to live than Carlsbad if that matters.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:36 AM

6,439 posts, read 6,868,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colete00 View Post
Considering relocating from Phoenix.
We currently live in Arcadia, which is a social - "Friday night wine on your neighbor's patio" type place.
Old houses, big yards ... Social, laid-back, everyone has a cruiser bike ...
We are looking for the same thing by the ocean.

Solana Beach& Old Carlsbad
(if you have other ideas let me know)

Priorities
Top Notch Schools
Older Neighborhoods, Good Yards (6500SQFT+)
Kids Playing Outside - we have a 7th grader and a 3rd grader
Friendly, Laid-back, Good Family Feeling (all ages, not just littles)
Walkable - Walk to Dinner @ a handful of places
Small Town Feel - Run into people you know
Close to the beach (0-3miles) - not interested in going inland
Good Little League and other kids activities

Budget - 1.8-2M ... Home Size 2500-3000SQFT

Which one do you think I should consider? Do you know of any super fun streets I should target. Typically the ones that go all out for Halloween are good ones

=========
Here are a few neighborhoods I was considering - not the houses specifically

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
============

Notes:
- not into huge tract home neighborhoods, though I might consider a new neighborhood if the proximity was right and amenities were worth it ... but we prefer older houses.

- commute is not a factor, as we have a good job market in both of these places '

Please Help
The Arcadia neighborhood feel is pretty hard to match anywhere. Encinitas is the closest. $2 million should not be out of your budget unless you are inflexible on the size and age of the house. There are plenty of beautiful houses around $2 million.

Also, Carmel Valley (east of the 5) has many more kids and is cheaper, still very upscale, but kind of modern and characterless. The rugged scenery makes it look less cookie-cutter than a similar area in, say, Kansas City. Many young families wouldn't live anywhere else, but I'm an old beach guy and I only go to CV to shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego