U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 10:30 AM

63 posts, read 37,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
San Diego is awesome but the job market isn't. That's why I'm leaving. Coming here without a job in hand, you're gonna have to accept way less than you want.
I've been working with a staffing agency and recruiter to land the right job/salary. Thanks for letting me know. Salaries are lower in Chicago as well (in Quality Management).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
This sounds disastrous. Horrible plan. You will never find a decent place in a safe area with a good high school that won't kill your savings....that utopia just does not exist here. Furthermore, you will be hard pressed to find a landlord that will rent to you without a job....during COVID to boot.

You could very well end up on the streets in six months, but hey, it's San Diego and the weather is great, so living in a van down by the river is not such a bad option.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but finishing with your last statement didn't help. I came on this forum genuinely seeking guidance...you didn't need to mock me.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I kind of wanted to post the same thoughts but didn’t have the heart. The chances of this plan, iall coming together is pretty remote and just too much to lose. If it was just the OP, maybe, but with 3 kids, I just don’t see it. No income, hasn’t worked in like 4 years, could burn thru any nest egg really fast, then what? His expectations and his situation just don’t match up. He sounds like a very caring father but some dreams should just stay as dreams. There are other places he could move that would be more affordable than SD. Maybe NC, SC. I mean, in 2 weeks they will be homeless. This is a very sad situation.
It's ok to tell me the plan isn't sound, I came here for guidance. Thank you. By the way, I'm a SHE not a HE, and I have 2 kids , not 3.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
I'm guessing we'll never back from OP.
I'm here, soaking in all the comments.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:40 AM

4,269 posts, read 1,839,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBlue20 View Post
It's ok to tell me the plan isn't sound, I came here for guidance. Thank you. By the way, I'm a SHE not a HE, and I have 2 kids , not 3.
Your obstacles remain the same.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
It really helps to know where you would work. As a senior quality manager, I'm thinking you might land a job in Sorrento Valley, Torrey Pines, Miramar, Kearney Mesa Area, or maybe South Bay near the border. That's a wide geographic dispersion.

Problem is your goals are mutually exclusive. It would help if you prioritized them, put in a budget range, and then identified what kind of housing, schools, and walkability you would be willing to settle for. Unless you have millions, you are going to be making compromises. We need to understand which compromises you're most willing to make.
Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
It's the new math. Buy high. Sell low.
Seriously? Unbelievable.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Is there any chance your daughter is going to need additional medical care and/or that your ability to work may be limited? With your situation and the general wider situation (high housing prices, COVID, etc) I would not be moving across the country with kids to a HCOL area where I had no professional network or personal support system and no job lined up.

Is your quality background in pharma? At a bare minimum, I suggest you immediately apply to every conceivable quality job in the San Diego area and your current area and see what type of response rate you get.
I'm in Pharma and working with a recruiter and staffing firm to secure a job before I come out. Thank you very much.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
Rental properties are going very quickly here in San Diego. My daughter and her friends were looking in March for an April 1st move in date and every rental they went to see in the area they wanted to be in (UTC) was snapped up the day it was listed. They lucked out with the townhome they ended up getting because the owner had it priced too high originally and since it was empty he dropped the price and they were able to qualify. They were fortunate that the landlord would let me daughter's friend have her parents cosign since she is self employed.

I'm not sure your budget is going to be enough for a 3 bedroom place. Daughter and her friends are paying $3,200 and one of the 3 bedrooms is an office with no closet although they do have a 2 car garage.
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 04-30-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Your obstacles remain the same.
I agree. Just clarifying the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego