Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 07:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times

Advertisements

This sounds disastrous. Horrible plan. You will never find a decent place in a safe area with a good high school that won't kill your savings....that utopia just does not exist here. Furthermore, you will be hard pressed to find a landlord that will rent to you without a job....during COVID to boot.

You could very well end up on the streets in six months, but hey, it's San Diego and the weather is great, so living in a van down by the river is not such a bad option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 11:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I kind of wanted to post the same thoughts but didn’t have the heart. The chances of this plan, iall coming together is pretty remote and just too much to lose. If it was just the OP, maybe, but with 3 kids, I just don’t see it. No income, hasn’t worked in like 4 years, could burn thru any nest egg really fast, then what? His expectations and his situation just don’t match up. He sounds like a very caring father but some dreams should just stay as dreams. There are other places he could move that would be more affordable than SD. Maybe NC, SC. I mean, in 2 weeks they will be homeless. This is a very sad situation.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:31 PM

Seems there a lot more to this story, but I’m hoping there are people somewhere, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, friends, church, that he could reach out to for help. Florida might be a better option, and there’s palm trees and beaches there too. Also be open to other lines of work.

Last edited by loveautumn; 04-29-2021 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Add comment

Old 04-29-2021, 12:53 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
You can get a jobby job about anywhere but something that pays well is going to be a stretch. If they have a relative here they could use that as an address.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:59 PM

425 posts, read 647,230 times
I have moved around a LOT for my career and I can tell you that if OP insists on living in SD he has to move here first to find a job. Remote job hunting simply will not work....maybe if he had a local connection here and could fake a local address that might swing it, but it doesn't sound like the case here.

OP has to sublet for 3-6 months from someone who is OK taking in his family. I agree nobody will rent to him. Once here he needs to hustle to find a job. Very stressful, not recommended but we all take chances.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I kind of wanted to post the same thoughts but didn’t have the heart. The chances of this plan, iall coming together is pretty remote and just too much to lose. If it was just the OP, maybe, but with 3 kids, I just don’t see it. No income, hasn’t worked in like 4 years, could burn thru any nest egg really fast, then what? His expectations and his situation just don’t match up. He sounds like a very caring father but some dreams should just stay as dreams. There are other places he could move that would be more affordable than SD. Maybe NC, SC. I mean, in 2 weeks they will be homeless. This is a very sad situation.
Yeah, my reputation is pretty much shot on this board so I have no problem expressing my views.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:52 AM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
I'm guessing we'll never back from OP.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:36 AM

I was thinking the same thing this morning.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
San Diego is awesome but the job market isn't. That's why I'm leaving. Coming here without a job in hand, you're gonna have to accept way less than you want.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:25 AM

69 posts, read 54,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Well, you kinda put the cart before the horse, here.
Now that it's a done deal, you'll need to secure a job PRONTO. No landlord is going to rent to someone without an income stream. Especially when there are lots of folks WITH an income stream, seeking housing.
You've got no job, so buying a place is out the window, unless you have a pile of cash you're sitting on. (Hey, it's possible.)

Also, how'd you sell for a healthy profit, if you're underwater?
I wasn't underwater when I sold. I was underwater back when the market crashed, and it took years to come back. Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego