U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 05:10 PM

63 posts, read 37,824 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I finally got the courage to make the move from Chicago to San Diego! I’ve looked online at apartments and it’s definitely discouraging with the price range only really because I am not an employee right now. I am a professional, a senior quality manager, but I have been unemployed since 2018-I left my job because my daughter needed medical treatment and then 24/7 care For almost a year. After that Covid hit and since then I have not been able to get back into my career. Living in San Diego has been my dream for over 10 years, my kids are finally old enough and they want to move as well so I am selling my house and coming out there with my kids in the next month.

It’s definitely scary not having a job and making the move, but I do have money I’ve saved which can get me through the next six months but I would rather land a position and also find a place for the three of us that’s not $2700 a month.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions of where I can live and if there are resources I should be looking into outside of just the standard online apartment hunting sites, and anything related to jobhunting there. My firsts priority is finding a decent place in a safe area with a good high school, that doesn’t kill my savings.

Thank you in advance for your guidance and assistance or just encouragement!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 10:42 PM

4,269 posts, read 1,839,729 times
Let's get your job secured before you put your house up for sale. This makes the most sense. You'll be burning thru your savings at a rapid rate with 3 people. (Unless you have multi-millions stockpiled.) I'm only partially kidding on this.

Old 04-27-2021, 11:12 PM

63 posts, read 37,824 times
My house is sold. I had to get out from it and sold it at a healthy profit. Considering I was under water. I have to move out in 2 weeks. It’s unconventional but that’s been my life and now I need to make a move, like in chess, not checkers. May have some short term loss but just get me there with some guidance. We just need to know the best place to land, high walk ability so the teens can be independent.

Thank you!

Old 04-28-2021, 02:58 AM

4,336 posts, read 11,317,828 times
It really helps to know where you would work. As a senior quality manager, I'm thinking you might land a job in Sorrento Valley, Torrey Pines, Miramar, Kearney Mesa Area, or maybe South Bay near the border. That's a wide geographic dispersion.

Problem is your goals are mutually exclusive. It would help if you prioritized them, put in a budget range, and then identified what kind of housing, schools, and walkability you would be willing to settle for. Unless you have millions, you are going to be making compromises. We need to understand which compromises you're most willing to make.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:50 AM

714 posts, read 660,794 times
Is there any chance your daughter is going to need additional medical care and/or that your ability to work may be limited? With your situation and the general wider situation (high housing prices, COVID, etc) I would not be moving across the country with kids to a HCOL area where I had no professional network or personal support system and no job lined up.

Is your quality background in pharma? At a bare minimum, I suggest you immediately apply to every conceivable quality job in the San Diego area and your current area and see what type of response rate you get.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:38 AM

4,787 posts, read 6,467,822 times
Most rental property managers in the San Diego area won't rent to someone without a stable stream of income. It's difficult to evict someone in California so property managers are very cautious who they rent to.

Old 04-28-2021, 09:52 AM

428 posts, read 271,058 times
Rental properties are going very quickly here in San Diego. My daughter and her friends were looking in March for an April 1st move in date and every rental they went to see in the area they wanted to be in (UTC) was snapped up the day it was listed. They lucked out with the townhome they ended up getting because the owner had it priced too high originally and since it was empty he dropped the price and they were able to qualify. They were fortunate that the landlord would let me daughter's friend have her parents cosign since she is self employed.

I'm not sure your budget is going to be enough for a 3 bedroom place. Daughter and her friends are paying $3,200 and one of the 3 bedrooms is an office with no closet although they do have a 2 car garage.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:55 AM

8,784 posts, read 28,045,667 times
What kind of quality management?

If you are talking pharma manufacturing or medical device, there is a fair amount of that here, mostly in Carlsbad, La Jolla and Kearny Mesa area. Most of the bigger production facilities are in Carlsbad with more coming on line. There are a lot of CROs and R&D labs in La Jolla and Sorrento Valley, but most of the pharma names you'll see just have offices for business, sales & marketing though.

For software QA, there is some here, and it's growing, but its not nearly as big or as fast growing as the biopharma side of things and it tends to skew really young if that matters. Think bay area style small companies with a few really good engineers and dozens of entry level sales reps and account reps getting shuffled in and out on a monthly basis. A lot of marketing agencies and small consultancies that make software on some level but aren't really "career" type jobs.

For traditional manufacturing, there is a fair amount in the National City and San Ysidro area, mostly centered around aerospace, logistics (due to the border), and shipbuilding, that whole sector is shrinking faster than the others and has been shrinking for decades.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:38 PM

4,269 posts, read 1,839,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBlue20 View Post
My house is sold. I had to get out from it and sold it at a healthy profit. Considering I was under water. I have to move out in 2 weeks. It’s unconventional but that’s been my life and now I need to make a move, like in chess, not checkers. May have some short term loss but just get me there with some guidance. We just need to know the best place to land, high walk ability so the teens can be independent.

Thank you!
Well, you kinda put the cart before the horse, here.
Now that it's a done deal, you'll need to secure a job PRONTO. No landlord is going to rent to someone without an income stream. Especially when there are lots of folks WITH an income stream, seeking housing.
You've got no job, so buying a place is out the window, unless you have a pile of cash you're sitting on. (Hey, it's possible.)

Also, how'd you sell for a healthy profit, if you're underwater?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 6,467,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Also, how'd you sell for a healthy profit, if you're underwater?
It's the new math. Buy high. Sell low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego