Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 67,275 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I grew up in La Mesa & El Cajon during my childhood days (15 years ago). My family however ended up moving to Connecticut, which is where I currently reside today.

At the moment, I commute to Manhattan and work as an investment banker for a prestigous investment firm. Now that I saved some money & work experience, I want to move back to the San Diego area.

I'm hoping to land a job in downtown San Diego at a financial services firm because I can't afford La Jolla at the moment, so I figured I would look at homes in La Mesa. I am shocked by the prices!!! How do people in California afford paying $500,000 for an average home? It seems to me as if these homes are over-priced by 30-40%. When should prices fall? My budget is $300,000. What can I buy with this amount?

The last place I would want to ever move to is El Cajon, I remember viewing that place as a dump when I was a kid.

Also, how long would the commute be from La Mesa to downtown San Diego?

Thanks,
Uconn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:19 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky View Post
It seems to me as if these homes are over-priced by 30-40%. When should prices fall? My budget is $300,000. What can I buy with this amount?

Also, how long would the commute be from La Mesa to downtown San Diego?
Prices have fallen, just not very much, especially at the entry-level. Personally I don't think median prices are going to fall much more than another 10% over the next year, and starter SFH will remain around the 4-500k mark.

You should be able to find a modest 1 or 2BR condo in La Mesa or nearby for around 300k. Commute to Downtown should be about 30 minutes max.

Personally, if I had a 300k budget I would be looking at 1 and 2BR condo conversions in either El Cajon or the City of SD itself. La Mesa has very few for-sale condos.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:09 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 692,179 times
Your commute could be as short as 15 minutes on a good day, but I would allow 30 minutes, depending how far you are from the freeway of course, time of day you commute and what freeway you take.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 PM

20 posts, read 118,204 times
yeah, i'm thinkin' w/that budget you need to go condo.

We have a very modest house in Lemon Grove-right next to La Mesa.
1500 sq ft 3/2 and it was just appraised for 500K.
If I had to buy right now, I couldn't even afford my own house!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:17 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
If you're going to work downtown, seriously consider buying next to the trolley. There are several more trolley lines than there used to be so you have more choices than simply the line to the border. Spare yourself the drive. You must be doing MetroNorth right now, so this will be old hat to you.

As for housing/condo prices, they've already dropped 10% - 15%, so I agree maybe 10% more, max, over the next year.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
The trolley (sdcommute dot com) from amaya to downtown is around 40 minutes. My DH used to take the trolley commute .. There are some condos listed at 200K next to that stop. Theyre called central park. the apts are nice and you can walk to albertsons and less than 5 min drive to grossmont center. they allow dogs (no pitbulls allowed in la mesa).also you don't have to leave your car at the stop as some regular parkers claim most stops have bad break-in problems. I've never had trouble tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego