Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:01 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times

Advertisements

I was initially hating my new life here in SD but things are getting better and I am so happy to find some great restaurants that I love. I'd like to share them with you:

Buon Appetito (Little Italy, 1609 India St.)
-omg I had no idea Italian food could be this good, and good is an understatement, I'm in luv

Mitsuwa Marketplace (4240 Kearny Mesa Rd.)
-cafeteria style eating in a supermarket but go for the Japanese ramen! hands down the best and most authentic ramen in San Diego

Super Cocina (Normal Hts. - 3627 Univ. Ave.)
-in a shabby part of town 10 minutes or so from Hillcrest, but it's the best Mexican food I've ever had, dine in eating available and home style Mexican cooking, try the spicy pork... drool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:33 PM

54 posts, read 196,012 times
One restaurant that I love going to since I moved here 4 years ago is this low key Japanese restaurant called "Tomodachi" It's in south San Diego off of the second Palm Ave on I-805. This place offers good food at a good price, I love it.

Terri Cafe - This is a good place for lunch. mini-cute, if you haven't been to this restaurant yet, there's one on Clairmont Mesa Blvd diagonally across from Ranch 99 Asian market in the Ethan Allen strip mall. They offer really good, authentic ramen and other lunch specials too. I use to go there every Thursday for their lunch special, the terriyaki chicken and california roll.

Miguel's Mexican Restaurant is a good place to. My husband and I usually go to the one in Eastlake Chula Vista off of Otay Lakes Road (or is it Telegraph Canyon?) Their white creamy sauce for chips is just delicious. It probaby kills me faster but it's so good.

The sad thing is I have yet to find a good burrito place here in San Diego, this is San Diego!!! Any recommandations?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,554 times
We like Indigo Grill (Little Italy), Kemosabe (Hillcrest), Roppongi (La Jolla), Blue Point for seafood (downtown), Bombay (Hillcrest).

I like Saffron noodles for casual Thai (drunken noodles!) and Chopstix for casual Japanese (Kearny Mesa)

Haven't tried the new "Frida's" in Eastlake but I've heard good things about their ribeye tacos and posole!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
Oh I've got to try these places, esp. Terri Cafe. Thanks for the recs.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
I'm a big fan of Mitsuwa Marketplace, as well, and yes, the ramen and soba noodles are delcious. It's a good sign when everyone around you is speaking Japanese. Have you been to Marukai down the street? It's a small 3 building complex that houses a Japanese supermarket, appliance store and 99cent store. Check it out!

Here's a short list other favorites of mine:

Fast/Quick food -

Sombreros (Lots of locations) - 24 hour drive-thru Mexican
L & L Hawaiian Barbeque (Lots of locations)
Rakadeka (Grantville) - Thai
Viva Pasta (Hillcrest)
El Zarape (University Heights)
Mama's Lebanese Bakery (North Park)
Baguette Express (City Heights) - cheap Vietnamese sandwiches (Banh Mi)
Yoshinoya (Kearny Mesa) - (Japanese) love the beef bowls

Casual -

Neighborhood (East Village) - good burger
Burger Lounge (Kensington) - same as above
Crazy Burger (North Park) - same as above
Saigon (City Heights) - Vietnamese
Basic (East Village) - pizza
Bronx (Hillcrest) - pizza
Chilango (Hillcrest) - Mexican from all over Mexico, ie, Oaxaca, Mexico City,
Amarin Thai (Hillcrest)
Khyber Pass (Hillcrest) - Afghani
Hash House A Go Go - (Hillcrest) - Huge portion comfort food
Soltan Banoo (University Heights) - Middle Eastern
Emerald (Kearny Mesa) - Dim Sum
Toro Sushi - (Grantville)
Tajima (Kearny Mesa) - Japanese open till 3:00am!!!

Dessert

Yog-Art (Hillcrest)
Extraordinary Desserts (Hillcrest/Little Italy) - Just go!!
Red Mango (Mission Valley) - the original tart yogurt (Pinkberry's mom)

There you have it, some places out of my "Little Black Book"

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM

54 posts, read 196,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
We like Indigo Grill (Little Italy), Kemosabe (Hillcrest), Roppongi (La Jolla), Blue Point for seafood (downtown), Bombay (Hillcrest).

I like Saffron noodles for casual Thai (drunken noodles!) and Chopstix for casual Japanese (Kearny Mesa)

Haven't tried the new "Frida's" in Eastlake but I've heard good things about their ribeye tacos and posole!
We went to Frida about 2 weeks after it opened. At the time they haven't gotten their liquor liscense yet so that was a huge disappointment not having margaritas the wash the food down my throat. The ambiance was good. They had a huge bar and a lounge area. I had salmon, which was pretty much the best salmon I've had. The sauce was just amazing I was really surprised especially at a Mexican restaurant. The portion is a bit small by today's restaurant standards, but it was the right portion for me so I didn't over eat. My husband had the ribeye tacos, saw there was no cheese, asked for cheese and was told that authentic tacos do not use cheese, so they didn't prepare cheese. He said it wasn't the best tacos he's ever had but it was pretty good. We're going there again this Saturday so perhaps we'll try different dishes and see if they're equally good.

By the way, it seems like a lot of good restaurants are in Hillcrest, but everytime I go to Hillcrest I have to deal with the parking, is there some secret parking place I didn' tknow of?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,554 times
sdurbanite: I second "Hash House A Go Go", "Saigon" and "Extraordinary Desserts", yum! I take all my out of town friends there for something decadent. Where is Grantville?

Freecia: My neighbor really enjoyed Frida's rib eye tacos. She said they "melt in your mouth". The restaurant is so beautiful, I've walked by it several times. I may try it this weekend as well.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecia View Post
By the way, it seems like a lot of good restaurants are in Hillcrest, but everytime I go to Hillcrest I have to deal with the parking, is there some secret parking place I didn' tknow of?
Besides the few paid surface lots that you see, you're pretty much driving around the block multiple times just like the rest of us. And don't forget that it's ok to park in the yellow zones after 6:00pm.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM

288 posts, read 919,084 times
I've only been here for less than a year, and I don't eat out a lot, but here are some restaurants I really like:

Gen Lai Sen (East Village) -- Hakka Chinese food, great seafood
Neighborhood (East Village) -- great for a burger and a beer
PB Sushi (Pacific Beach)
Pho Hoa (City Heights) -- They only serve pho here
Valentine's (East Village) -- Good, cheap mexican food
The Kebab Shop (East Village)
Mama Testa's Tacqueria (Hillcrest) -- Awesome salsa bar, good selection of tacos
168 Restaurant (Kearny Mesa) -- Taiwanese food

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
sdurbanite: I second "Hash House A Go Go", "Saigon" and "Extraordinary Desserts", yum! I take all my out of town friends there for something decadent. Where is Grantville?
When I think about it, paying between $8 to $10 for a slice of cake at Extraordinary Desserts seems absolutely ridiculous, but all of that goes away once I'm peering into the into the glass case trying to decide which one to eat. You definitely overpay for the way it's delivered on the plate (rose petals, 1 foot chocolate dipsticks , etc), but the energetic atmosphere (moreso at the LI location) helps to make up for it!

Grantville is the non-descript, commercial area where Mission Gorge Road cuts through north of the 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego