Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 12:36 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I think even Goodwill won't accept anything now due to Covid.
I've donated to Goodwill twice in the last year, most recently a few weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2022, 07:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Goodwill won't do pickups anymore. That's the big change. Same was true of Salvation Army right after the pandemic but maybe they've reverted the policy now. They were the least picky of the bunch, never once leaving something behind. Right now, we're using Vietnam Vets-something-or-'nother because they'll still bring a truck. They are a bit selective though. We also use a local 'buy nothing' group like someone else mentioned. I stopped putting up freebies on OfferUp and the likes because there are way too many flakes and weirdos. At least with local groups, it's mostly neighbors which is nice for a lot of reasons.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:56 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Goodwill won't do pickups anymore. That's the big change. Same was true of Salvation Army right after the pandemic but maybe they've reverted the policy now. They were the least picky of the bunch, never once leaving something behind. Right now, we're using Vietnam Vets-something-or-'nother because they'll still bring a truck. They are a bit selective though. We also use a local 'buy nothing' group like someone else mentioned. I stopped putting up freebies on OfferUp and the likes because there are way too many flakes and weirdos. At least with local groups, it's mostly neighbors which is nice for a lot of reasons.
We always use Amvets. For everything else it goes out on the curb and gone very quickly.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:13 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We always use Amvets. For everything else it goes out on the curb and gone very quickly.
I had former neighbors that threw a lot of baby stuff out, and AMVETs came out and picked it all up.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:53 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Our group, which is rather large, camps, hunts, off roads, hikes, fishes, etc. and stores like Big 5, Cabelas, Bass Pro blows REI out of the water for prices. I do realize it is nice for the convenience of having a store you can walk into here in San Diego but other stores (read more outdoor related, aka guns and stuff) have been driven out of California with the "policies".

But hey, if paying more for something is your gig, good on you. They aren't exactly a mom and pop shop. There are 139 active stores. They are a big box store just like most others. We hunt and travel all over so these other stores are easily within reach.
It's nice that you have other stores that carry that sort of thing. We have no other options here. But truthfully, we have gone into every REI every time we go into a city that has one. Has nothing to do with price, we shop clearance and sales. BF buys a lot of gear from the "garage sales", and the very generous return policy is a big plus. We don't consider them a "big box" store here, clearly we have a very different opinion of the store, and I imagine that is based on our differing locations. Bass Pro sucks for us, we care nothing about fishing or hunting so we never bother to go there. Like I said - different strokes.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It's nice that you have other stores that carry that sort of thing. We have no other options here. But truthfully, we have gone into every REI every time we go into a city that has one. Has nothing to do with price, we shop clearance and sales. BF buys a lot of gear from the "garage sales", and the very generous return policy is a big plus. We don't consider them a "big box" store here, clearly we have a very different opinion of the store, and I imagine that is based on our differing locations. Bass Pro sucks for us, we care nothing about fishing or hunting so we never bother to go there. Like I said - different strokes.
That's too bad. I have Amazon Prime and usually get whatever the next day, if not same day. They also take anything back no questions asked. I have a return store less than a mile away. If I'm looking for just specific hiking things like freeze dried food or a water purifier there are a couple of actual small mom and pop owned stores here that are on par price wise with REI.

I realize only big Cities have a bunch of options. I usually just review the heck out of stuff online and order it. If I don't like it, no big deal. I can have something else the next day.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you just want it out of your hair right away, take it to a thrift store, and they are accepting donations now.
Most are getting so much stuff they are turning stuff away. I helped my sis try to unload some furniture and no place would take it. It sucked we had to take it to the dump. They were going on vaca and didn't want to leave it by the curb for two weeks. Especially with rain.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:03 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
Quote:
Most are getting so much stuff they are turning stuff away. I helped my sis try to unload some furniture and no place would take it. It sucked we had to take it to the dump. They were going on vaca and didn't want to leave it by the curb for two weeks. Especially with rain.
Yeah at one consignment shop someone got Pissy with me and I never returned . I give away designer clothes and high end accessories. I don't need a pat on the back but attitude while receiving is not a good look.

In NYC I used to go up to homeless people and give them things from my bag hand to hand. I don't trust organizations to do the right thing for the most part. Some do but people be needing $$$$ so they hustle just like everyone else.

In SD one day me and a buddy loaded his trunk with Little Cesar Pizza and gave it out to homeless people.

THAT is grassroots.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:45 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Yeah at one consignment shop someone got Pissy with me and I never returned . I give away designer clothes and high end accessories. I don't need a pat on the back but attitude while receiving is not a good look.

In NYC I used to go up to homeless people and give them things from my bag hand to hand. I don't trust organizations to do the right thing for the most part. Some do but people be needing $$$$ so they hustle just like everyone else.

In SD one day me and a buddy loaded his trunk with Little Cesar Pizza and gave it out to homeless people.

THAT is grassroots.
I'm sure that AMVETS would pick them up, but you have to schedule it online, and they email you a pickup date.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:53 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,426,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm sure that AMVETS would pick them up, but you have to schedule it online, and they email you a pickup date.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego