Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times

Advertisements

I've lived here in SD for 36 years. It seems like our summers have gotten more and more delay, from June-August in the past to now starting around August-October. Also, seems like the hottest time of day is 4-6pm, not 12-2pm. Am I imagining things, or do others agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 03:29 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Since our nights are usually cool, mornings are also usually cool and take time to heat up . Assuming no shift in winds or other factors, a sunny summer day hasn't reached its peak at noon; it will continue to get hotter until the sun descends to an angle at which it's no longer adding much heat. Then it slowly cools down.

For the same reason, the coldest time of night isn't at midnight, it's well after that--usually just around sunrise.

As for the months, I've been in OC for 52 years and recall that June has always been a cool, overcast month (this year being an exception), July was a transition, and August-October were hot. As kids, we were always hoping it would cool down and be cloudy by Halloween (because that seemed spookier and costumes tended to make us hot), but it rarely happened.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I've lived here in SD for 36 years. It seems like our summers have gotten more and more delay, from June-August in the past to now starting around August-October. Also, seems like the hottest time of day is 4-6pm, not 12-2pm. Am I imagining things, or do others agree?
I'm a noob. I've only been in San Diego for about 20 years. The summer heat in coastal San Diego (85 degrees) has always started right around the 4th of July. With September being our hottest month and most humid month.

My house does not have central A/C. We usually setup a few portable A/C units in August and remove them in October.

If anything, we seem to be getting higher and higher Dewpoints. High Dewpoints are my Kryptonite. I sometimes sleep in my car with the A/C on COLD during high Dewpoint nights.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:37 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I'm a noob. I've only been in San Diego for about 20 years. The summer heat in coastal San Diego (85 degrees) has always started right around the 4th of July. With September being our hottest month and most humid month.

My house does not have central A/C. We usually setup a few portable A/C units in August and remove them in October.

If anything, we seem to be getting higher and higher Dewpoints. High Dewpoints are my Kryptonite. I sometimes sleep in my car with the A/C on COLD during high Dewpoint nights.
I hope it's not in the garage

Old 06-16-2021, 05:47 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
When you put a pan of anything on the stove, and it doesn't boil for 10 minutes, instead of 10 seconds, why IS that?

Think of the ball you're currently riding upon. It's a "heat sink." It take A LOT of energy to heat it up. That's why it takes months to change from snow shoveling, to swimming. (Unless you're in Colorado during Springtime, then I don't know what the Hell to tell you!)

Old 06-16-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
When you put a pan of anything on the stove, and it doesn't boil for 10 minutes, instead of 10 seconds, why IS that?

Think of the ball you're currently riding upon. It's a "heat sink." It take A LOT of energy to heat it up. That's why it takes months to change from snow shoveling, to swimming. (Unless you're in Colorado during Springtime, then I don't know what the Hell to tell you!)
THE biggest reason I moved from CO was a Spring blizzard that knocked out all power for weeks and we had snow in the ditch on the 4th of July. That and a month of below zero and a high of -17.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:58 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:

There's been some hot Aprils some years, and others we've had cool Julys. I do agree that yesterday was as you described where it actually got hotter in that 4-6pm time slot. That was unusual. I think part of the reason was the breeze died down and the high cloud cover kept all the humidity locked in for that greenhouse effect. --at least it was where I'm at. Although once the sun went down, it cooled off quickly. All in all a weird weather day.

It seems we're on track for a pretty hot summer.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:10 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I heard SDGE figured out how to shift the hottest parts of the day until later, and then they pushed the "peak" pricing until 9pm.

Bastards.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I heard SDGE figured out how to shift the hottest parts of the day until later, and then they pushed the "peak" pricing until 9pm.

Bastards.
Ha

Ya notice they are already talking the rolling blackouts. They've had years to increase capacity yet crickets. The "plans" they offer just try to get you off 4-9 pm so they won't have to deal with it. Their "plans" don't save squat, it is designed to save their hides.

Old 06-17-2021, 12:19 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
THE biggest reason I moved from CO was a Spring blizzard that knocked out all power for weeks and we had snow in the ditch on the 4th of July. That and a month of below zero and a high of -17.
I joined a Navy buddy of mine for a cross country trip to his new orders in Quantico VA a few years ago and remember after driving through Independence Pass and down to Denver we got caught in a snowstorm right down into entering the city. It was mid-June. WTF?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego