Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 10:45 PM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times

Advertisements

I am hearing serious air traffic from Miramar. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 11:29 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
“Sound of freedom” buddy … at least that’s what all the neighborhood bumper stickers say. Big chunk of my life

Up north here I am near the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station … manage to get my fill.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:18 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
“Sound of freedom” buddy … at least that’s what all the neighborhood bumper stickers say. Big chunk of my life

Up north here I am near the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station … manage to get my fill.
I love it. Those 15s get some serious sound going on hard turns. Sounds like hydraulic. I've flown some planes but they didn't have any of this cool stuff.

Old 06-25-2021, 05:35 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,583,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The F15 is like the BMW of fighter planes. For some real noise, listen to an F4. It's the unmufflered Harley of fighter planes. The F4 was the work horse fighter plane of the Vietnam War. The F4 needed full afterburners just to get off the ground. The F15 is like a Whisperjet on takeoff. I spent a lot of time with F4's flying over my head and on take-offs.

When I was exiting the Air Force, my out-processing officer noticed my hearing loss in the same audio range my wife talks. He said to me "cruitr... because of your F4-caused hearing loss, I'm awarding you a 30% lifetime disability." That means I would have received 30% of my paycheck in a monthly check as a civilian. I refused to sign the form.

Since my hearing loss is in the same range as my wife talks, I consider that a blessing. When she talks, I can't hear her. So for the rest of my life I could blame my lack of attention to my wife on those damn F4's from my Air Force days. Sounded like a good deal to me.

Looking back, I should have taken the money. My wife doesn't talk much any more. She just sends me text and emails. Her long continuously-updated 'honey do' list is now digital. In addition, I could have used my 30% disability to get free healthcare benefits at the local VA Hospital.

When friends ask me how I could put up with my wife for over 45 years, I just say "Thank God for those noisy F4's."

Last edited by cruitr; 06-25-2021 at 05:47 AM..

Old 06-25-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I love it. Those 15s get some serious sound going on hard turns. Sounds like hydraulic. I've flown some planes but they didn't have any of this cool stuff.
When my sons looked at photos of me in service with some of my planes, they quipped: “You crewed in WWI!?” My first two squadrons were last of the recip attack craft used in action Loud as those jets are, 18 cylinder radial engines were roughly 2500 hp. Watch the props and no mufflers, eh? And “eh?”, again. Ears still ringing … But they could fly tree-top, turning tight slow circles fully loaded … perfect for covering chopper rescues … while jets took miles and miles to turn each pass.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:08 AM

1,082 posts, read 834,755 times
My dad was an F-4 pilot. I grew with a huge love for all things military aviation. Yes, they are LOUD. Glad to hear F-15 s are making noise. Hopefully it's not followed by nuclear warheads on the American people (Biden's words, not mine).

Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
The F15 is like the BMW of fighter planes. For some real noise, listen to an F4. It's the unmufflered Harley of fighter planes. The F4 was the work horse fighter plane of the Vietnam War. The F4 needed full afterburners just to get off the ground. The F15 is like a Whisperjet on takeoff. I spent a lot of time with F4's flying over my head and on take-offs.

When I was exiting the Air Force, my out-processing officer noticed my hearing loss in the same audio range my wife talks. He said to me "cruitr... because of your F4-caused hearing loss, I'm awarding you a 30% lifetime disability." That means I would have received 30% of my paycheck in a monthly check as a civilian. I refused to sign the form.

Since my hearing loss is in the same range as my wife talks, I consider that a blessing. When she talks, I can't hear her. So for the rest of my life I could blame my lack of attention to my wife on those damn F4's from my Air Force days. Sounded like a good deal to me.

Looking back, I should have taken the money. My wife doesn't talk much any more. She just sends me text and emails. Her long continuously-updated 'honey do' list is now digital. In addition, I could have used my 30% disability to get free healthcare benefits at the local VA Hospital.

When friends ask me how I could put up with my wife for over 45 years, I just say "Thank God for those noisy F4's."
Haha cruir . I got F-4 stories too. Breaking sound for a prank, near waterline low along side a carrier. Got pilot grounded … left deck crews knocked down with tinnitus for life.

You can go back even today and reopen that claim. Your loss was reported at discharge physical, it’s on record. VA will still honor it … but not retroactive … that would be a nice check after all these years, bud

My late wife was born profoundly deaf … and I sign ASL fluently so my own hearing loss was never an excuse

Old 06-25-2021, 07:33 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,583,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Haha cruir . I got F-4 stories too. Breaking sound for a prank, near waterline low along side a carrier. Got pilot grounded … left deck crews knocked down with tinnitus for life.

You can go back even today and reopen that claim. Your loss was reported at discharge physical, it’s on record. VA will still honor it … but not retroactive … that would be a nice check after all these years, bud

My late wife was born profoundly deaf … and I sign ASL fluently so my own hearing loss was never an excuse
When you come to our house, our Mr and Mrs neighbors across our street are both deaf. If you can ASL, you will be a hero in this neighborhood.

Many people have told me to take my DD Form 214 and go to the local VA hospital for reassessment. I may just do that. The Army Ranger who fixes iphones down the street was given 100% disability just for asking.

I had handouts but I guess I paid the price.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
When you come to our house, our Mr and Mrs neighbors across our street are both deaf. If you can ASL, you will be a hero in this neighborhood.

Many people have told me to take my DD Form 214 and go to the local VA hospital for reassessment. I may just do that. The Army Ranger who fixes iphones down the street was given 100% disability just for asking.

I had handouts but I guess I paid the price.
Ran into a Deaf friend a little while back … chatting was a bit emotional as I realized how much I miss signing and the Deaf community.

I’ve assisted a number of vets in attaining various benefits over the years … from 10% hearing loss claims to 100% multi-disability cases who didn’t want to come back inside the wire and lived like feral cats when they could have had rent and food money. Thing is: it’s not a handout. It’s earned benefits guaranteed in original terms of service the day you enlisted. There are plenty of politicians retired from Washington DC who get checks for life … and all they ever did was gum up the works worse.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:00 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,754,786 times
Quote:
Same. It’s cool but makes me wonder what’s up. Those hard turns sound like dinosaurs to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego