Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,246,450 times

Advertisements

So I have some family in Upstate NY. My cousin is a dentist so he makes big bucks. He wants to move to SoCal for the weather, but doesn't like LA. He's thinking about SD, but from what I have heard, there are not many Jewish people down there. I was told that there are only like three temples in the whole county. Is that true?

Well, let me get into the details. He wants to live near the beach in a lively environment. Maybe a place like Ocean or Pacific or Mission Beach. He has two kids, one in middle school and one in high school. They are looking for, preferably, a 4 bedroom home under 1mil, but would go down to 3bed/2bath if necessary since the older son will be in college soon and they can hopefully get a better location or larger home. He wants to live somewhere where he won't feel out of place being Jewish, but doesn't need to be surrounded by Judaism. Also, he is quite liberal, so being in a more liberal city is a plus. I know SD isn't conservative, but to me being Jewish and from LA, it is a little bit...not like OC though. If any of you know the Jewish religion, he is Reformed, the most basic sect of Judaism, so he, as well as the rest of my family, only go to temple during holidays, so that strong Jewish presence isn't necessary, but a liberal and open minded community that will be welcoming to Jews is nice.

However, if there is no place that fits that, then schools, safety, a beach, and a fun environment are what he is looking for. I know about MB, PB, and OB, but don't know details. Would he be able to find anything on Coronado? IB? Is La Jolla to quiet or expensive?

Thanks for any help and I can't wait for him to move out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 AM

490 posts, read 1,549,896 times
There are Jewish people all over SD La Jolla has quite a few, Del Cerro up the hill from SD State Univ. , Crown Point area of the Beach. North of Garnet Ave. in Pacific Beach. Coronado is nice, family oriented. And I have several Jewish friends from NYC that are established here now. Then in North County, Del Mar, Carlsbad, Rancho Sante Fe- - - Welcome and Enjoy

Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM

9,521 posts, read 30,346,826 times
Del Mar has probably the largest Jewish community in San Diego nowadays. The historical movement of the community has been from Rolando/College to Del Cerro to Del Mar.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:23 PM

365 posts, read 1,414,433 times
I have a bunch of Jewish friends that live and work in La Jolla. Most of them attend the Adat Yeshurun congregation off La Jolla Scenic. There are large 4-bedroom condos in the high 700s within walking distance of Adat Yeshurun where my friends live. There are plenty of great areas. The diversity there would have your cousin feeling very welcome.

Which areas in LA did he look at? I ask because my dad is a dentist and works with many dentists there that are very open and really neat people. Most of them also share the Jewish faith.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,246,450 times
He has visited me several times and loves some things about LA, but also dislikes many. For example, he likes the rich areas he could afford, the weather, the people, the scenery, and the beaches, but the high crime of the ghettos, dirty neighborhoods, and crowded everything bothers him; coming from a small town in rural NY state, that's not surprising. I realize SD has these same problems, but on a smaller scale, so he is going right to SD.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,414,649 times
I would check out La Jolla, seems like there is a fair amount of Jews there. Somebody already mentioned that congregation off of La Jolla Scenic. Also the Raplh's in La Jolla Village Square has a pretty big Kosher section from what I remember, much larger than any other grocery store I've seen, so I would assume there has to be a lot of jewish people in the area.

La Jolla tends to be more conservative as it's wealthy BUT the Windansea/Bird Rock area seems fairly liberal. I remember seeing the 2004 election broken down by census tract and there was a lot of blue in that area. That area is also right down the road from Pacific Beach and Mission Beach too. I wouldn't try to head much farther north than La Jolla/Del Mar b/c it tends to get more conservative overall in North County.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,343,662 times
I was just driving today, and drove past this large Jewish community center by UCSD. Various links and such.

Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center, JACOBS FAMILY CAMPUS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego