Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move to San Diego in 2021?
Yes 39 29.55%
No, I'd like to but I couldn't afford it 31 23.48%
No, I'd like to and can afford it, but it's not worth it 22 16.67%
No, I don't want to live in San Diego 40 30.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 02:22 PM

148 posts, read 104,976 times

Advertisements

My mom and most of my friends live here. I was also born and raised here. For those reasons it is difficult to leave. If I was inclined to have the typical suburban family life, then I would be more likely to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 02:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Can't you just live smaller? That's what we do. Assess what is most important and get rid of the rest. I guess it depends on what you're into. My sister has an RV, a pool, some dirtbikes. I don't have any of that, just surfboards and a sup. Yeah it would be nice to have more space and have a kayak too, but I'd just that kayak maybe once or twice a year, and the inflatable SUPs work ok. Think about how many of the items you have that you actually use that often. If you're able to move into a smaller home, it may not be as much of a financial shock.
We can go smaller sure, but it’s not like we have to move either. Imo, it makes more sense to stay here but my husband is tired of NY.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:16 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Wow.

I hope things get better before we make our move ... within the next 4-5 years.

I am just baffled as to how expensive everything is there when I thought here where I am was expensive!

My husband & I make a nice, comfortable living here. I fear living in SoCal may put us into uncomfortable territory financially. Personally I don't want to make the move. I love it here, family, tons of jobs, greenery, seasons ... but my husband's family is out there.

I do think in 4-5 years from now, both he & I will get promotions/salary bumps but I feel we will not live as good as we do here in NY. It's expensive here, but we travel, buy/do everything we want to do, putting the kid through college ... everything is comfortable and easy.
Grew up on LI. Here's what you need to know.

- Housing in LI is not cheap, but you get a better house, community, and school for the money than you will here in San Diego (or anywhere in CA) especially if you are a parent of school-aged children.

- Beaches on LI are cleaner, nicer and with better amenities than in San Diego. The parking fees deter the rabble and there are tons of beaches to choose from. No condo towers or stripmalls by the sea on LI. The bays in San Diego are polluted and man-made. The surfing in SD is far better though.

- There is no "NYC affect" in San Diego. Most people are either from here, passing through, or in the process of moving in or out. There is not enough of a job market to support the type of wealth creation from jobs that you get being a suburb of NYC. Most of the wealth in SD comes from outside the area and a lot of it is tied to real estate. You don't have the affect of people who grew up in the area, moved to NYC to build careers, start families on LI. People in SD come for college and leave for jobs, or increasingly, leave for college and never come back because they cant find a job.

- The primary advantage SD has over LI is outdoor activities like hiking, climbing, surfing, cycling, that you cant really do on LI. but if you like boats, fishing, beachgoing, LI is much better.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 07-14-2021 at 04:30 PM..

Old 07-14-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Grew up on LI. Here's what you need to know.

- Housing in LI is not cheap, but you get a better house, community, and school for the money than you will here in San Diego (or anywhere in CA) especially if you are a parent of school-aged children.

- Beaches on LI are cleaner, nicer and with better amenities than in San Diego. The parking fees deter the rabble and there are tons of beaches to choose from. No condo towers or stripmalls by the sea on LI. The bays in San Diego are polluted and man-made. The surfing in SD is far better though.

- There is no "NYC affect" in San Diego. Most people are either from here, passing through, or in the process of moving in or out. There is not enough of a job market to support the type of wealth creation from jobs that you get being a suburb of NYC. Most of the wealth in SD comes from outside the area and a lot of it is tied to real estate. You don't have the affect of people who grew up in the area, moved to NYC to build careers, start families on LI. People in SD come for college and leave for jobs, or increasingly, leave for college and never come back because they cant find a job.

- The primary advantage SD has over LI is outdoor activities like hiking, climbing, surfing, cycling, that you cant really do on LI. but if you like boats, fishing, beachgoing, LI is much better.
Thank you. Yes. Re: LI beaches, i alluded to that in a previous post also. The parking fees keep the crowds down & keep the riff raff out. The beaches here are pristine. I find SD beaches hit or miss with trash & the parking is terrible. Free beaches are not worth trying to find parking for an hr in my opinion.

What made you make your move to SD if you don’t mind me asking? Nice to have a perspective from someone who’s done it. My work is only in NYC, Chicago & LA & few places maybe in Minneapolis, so SD would be tough workwise. I am banking on my co letting me permanently work from home in order for this to work

Still cant wrap my head around how little you get for your $$ there. I thought LI was bad with that!

Old 07-14-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Thank you. Yes. Re: LI beaches, i alluded to that in a previous post also. The parking fees keep the crowds down & keep the riff raff out. The beaches here are pristine. I find SD beaches hit or miss with trash & the parking is terrible. Free beaches are not worth trying to find parking for an hr in my opinion.

What made you make your move to SD if you don’t mind me asking? Nice to have a perspective from someone who’s done it. My work is only in NYC, Chicago & LA & few places maybe in Minneapolis, so SD would be tough workwise. I am banking on my co letting me permanently work from home in order for this to work

Still cant wrap my head around how little you get for your $$ there. I thought LI was bad with that!
I moved to SD in the 90's, pre-internet, when it was a much smaller, sleepier place. I had no plan other than I wanted to live in CA to hike and live like a bum, which I did quite successfully. I love LI but wouldn't want to live there either, it has the same problems as SD, just at a lesser scale and pace. Also I find that LI is mostly full of old people and all the young people are gone. The state beaches in San Diego are far better than the dirty city beaches, and have paid parking, showers and other amenities. We drive an additional 10-15 mins to use those beaches.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:38 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Beach parking in SD is free? It’s 15.00 to park in OC and LA and it’s still packed in the summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Parking is an issue in the summer. Drives us locals nuts. But we know of the secret spots.
Correct! I live in OC, but there are beaches with free parking lots and beaches with free residential parking very close to the beach. For years I went to Corona del Mar every Friday all summer and never paid to park.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMBPBLJSTP View Post
jumpin in..ex nyer/lier here...i cant stand long island...NYC has tolerance and massive diversity...li ..its all the same..primarily rep....most white , very expensive. people with attitudes...nothing like NYC. most women i dated felt privileged.. always expected more.

young folks cant afford to live in Li at this time..they are moving out. beaches..ive been to Sd and LI beach, Ill say it again...the individual is responsible for their actions ie: being mature and respectful and do not litter!!!!!!! how easy is that. very very easy. its disgusting to see folks litter.

sure beaches in Li are nice..not pristine. but LI beaches do not compare to SD beaches regarding that beach community feel. beaches in Li are primarily separated from the businesses..which some people like but i do not.

jones/robert moses are isolated. long beach has a crappy boardwalk with a few places to eat. north shore LI beaches just dont count to me. fire island...isolated..nice yes. southhampton..never been..too far east

housing expensive ..youll get more in Li than SD

i dont care about wealth creation. can only use the water in LI for 3 months..a massive drawback compared to SD. id rather go boating and beaching in SD for certain. ive seen all of the beaches from oceanside down to ocean beach..ill take SD overall.
You can use the water all yr if u want. Many surfers & fishers do. Dress accordingly. Buy a heavy wetsuit. Ppl do it. It’s not impossible

Old 07-14-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I moved to SD in the 90's, pre-internet, when it was a much smaller, sleepier place. I had no plan other than I wanted to live in CA to hike and live like a bum, which I did quite successfully. I love LI but wouldn't want to live there either, it has the same problems as SD, just at a lesser scale and pace. Also I find that LI is mostly full of old people and all the young people are gone. The state beaches in San Diego are far better than the dirty city beaches, and have paid parking, showers and other amenities. We drive an additional 10-15 mins to use those beaches.
Actually all the young ppl are moving out here from the city now & older ppl are leaving bc their retirement income isnt cutting it.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
sure it's possible..but sub freezing outer temps possible??? yikes. im looking to be rid of rain and especially snow/winter. broke my back shoveling for decades. no mas.....i wont miss the 4 distinct seasons. risking health walking in ice/snow and driving in it. most treacherous indeed..especially as we grow older. big time risk. Ny can never offer what CA and warmer weathered areas can....hence the primary reason folks choose to get outta the cold permanently
I mean sure but for ppl who actually like seasons & snow/cold, Socal offers them not too much by the ways of that. Julien, big bear, I get it - but that’s not really the same.

Also I don’t go in the water here in the cold so i’m with you on that but there a lot of people who do. Go to the drive-on beach in December … it’s astonishing how many ppl are out there surfing

Old 07-14-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
jumpin in..ex nyer/lier here...i cant stand long island...NYC has tolerance and massive diversity...li ..its all the same..primarily rep....most white , very expensive. people with attitudes...nothing like NYC. most women i dated felt privileged.. always expected more.

young folks cant afford to live in Li at this time..they are moving out. beaches..ive been to Sd and LI beach, Ill say it again...the individual is responsible for their actions ie: being mature and respectful and do not litter!!!!!!! how easy is that. very very easy. its disgusting to see folks litter.

sure beaches in Li are nice..not pristine. but LI beaches do not compare to SD beaches regarding that beach community feel. beaches in Li are primarily separated from the businesses..which some people like but i do not.

jones/robert moses are isolated. long beach has a crappy boardwalk with a few places to eat. north shore LI beaches just dont count to me. fire island...isolated..nice yes. southhampton..never been..too far east

housing expensive ..youll get more in Li than SD

i dont care about wealth creation. can only use the water in LI for 3 months..a massive drawback compared to SD. id rather go boating and beaching in SD for certain. ive seen all of the beaches from oceanside down to ocean beach..ill take SD overall.
You don't care about wealth creation, home ownership, never having kids, no job etc. So your needs are way outside of the norm of most people and kind of hard to relate to honestly.

LI's ocean beaches are on sandbar barrier islands making them geographically undesirable for building. If you want the OB-style crap shacks and litter, you always have Long Beach and Coney Island. The best beaches are in Southampton and nearby, so really, sounds like you don't know LI too well anyway.

There are many plusses to San Diego, but moving here to live some sort of subsistence lifestyle is not going to be a popular option among would be relocators who already own homes and have wealth. Trading in your 1MM house on LI for the same in SD is going to likely be a massive step down. I know, I know, YOU don't care, but most in that situation care, a lot. Here's the other thing - no one moves to Long Island to live in a crap shack and scratch out a living being a bartender, whereas in San Diego, you've got at least 10's of thousands of people doing that and more come every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego