Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 09:26 AM

382 posts, read 179,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Yeah, so, doesn't say anything we already didn't know that cloth masks do very little, while N95 offer far superior protection. Now, go try to wear that N95 for 6 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 09:47 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
Yeah, so, doesn't say anything we already didn't know that cloth masks do very little, while N95 offer far superior protection. Now, go try to wear that N95 for 6 hours.
My wife passed away mid-pandemic last winter. I have a new girlfriend now, who happens to work directly with patients in elder-care health facilities. She wears an N-95 for 8-hour shifts. No problem.

My comment above is not meant to advocate for or against masks or vaccines. It is a simple rebuttal of your inference that N-95s are a challenge to wear.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:47 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
That chart is extremely helpful. It's actually justification for NOT masking in many situations. For example, when I go to Home Depot or Target I am never near anyone for more than a few seconds.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
That chart is extremely helpful. It's actually justification for NOT masking in many situations. For example, when I go to Home Depot or Target I am never near anyone for more than a few seconds.
I took note similarly … however, I wouldn’t say the summation *justifies* not wearing a mask in short-duration exposures. Not. At. All.

It does however, give confidence that distancing measures - masks, physical distance, isolation lifestyles, et al - are wise priority behaviors.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
My wife passed away mid-pandemic last winter. I have a new girlfriend now, who happens to work directly with patients in elder-care health facilities. She wears an N-95 for 8-hour shifts. No problem.

My comment above is not meant to advocate for or against masks or vaccines. It is a simple rebuttal of your inference that N-95s are a challenge to wear.
Sorry to hear about your wife, hope it wasn't due to Covid. I'll give you that as there's lots of varying information on N95 length of use. This one suggests 3-4 hours. I still don't think many could wear an N95 for 8 hours a day with no problem. KN95 maybe, but not N95. I will find out as my wife teaches, and they just required all staff to wear KN95 masks beginning Jan 10th. However, they closed her entire district down for two days 1/7 and 1/10 even though covid cases are low, so she'll begin on 1/11.

When supplies abound, people replace KN95 and N95 face masks after each use. Unfortunately, there is a limited supply of N95 masks due to the pandemic. Some hospitals have chosen to reuse them in limited amounts.

Manufacturer guidance says N95 respirators or face masks can be worn for 3 to 4 hours at a time.

https://kslnewsradio.com/1955071/reu...sk-respirator/

Old 01-06-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Agree, couldn't rep again. It's pointless if you're just passing by someone even indoors which is what most of us do while shopping. But, it's ok to eat at a table a few feet away from another table for a couple hours.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:13 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Agree, couldn't rep again. It's pointless if you're just passing by someone even indoors which is what most of us do while shopping. But, it's ok to eat at a table a few feet away from another table for a couple hours.
It makes no mention whether the people are vaxxed or not, so I'd assume this is for unvaxxed. I'm curious how it changes if someone is triple vaxxed. I imagine it'd be even longer.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
It makes no mention whether the people are vaxxed or not, so I'd assume this is for unvaxxed. I'm curious how it changes if someone is triple vaxxed. I imagine it'd be even longer.
Agree, that's what people were commenting on in Twitter from the few comments I read. Can't take the idiots on Twitter though so tend to avoid that place.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your wife, hope it wasn't due to Covid. I'll give you that as there's lots of varying information on N95 length of use. This one suggests 3-4 hours. I still don't think many could wear an N95 for 8 hours a day with no problem. KN95 maybe, but not N95. I will find out as my wife teaches, and they just required all staff to wear KN95 masks beginning Jan 10th. However, they closed her entire district down for two days 1/7 and 1/10 even though covid cases are low, so she'll begin on 1/11.

When supplies abound, people replace KN95 and N95 face masks after each use. Unfortunately, there is a limited supply of N95 masks due to the pandemic. Some hospitals have chosen to reuse them in limited amounts.

Manufacturer guidance says N95 respirators or face masks can be worn for 3 to 4 hours at a time.

https://kslnewsradio.com/1955071/reu...sk-respirator/
The reference to “3-4 hours” duration appears to be about:
* mask cleanliness
* attitude tolerance
… not about physical limitation / health risk.

A better discussion than your link:
https://en.adioscorona.org/questions...s-maximum.html

Another friend is a U.S. Army retired pulmonologist who also has told me he had no problems ever in his career wearing facemasks all day.

Now, that said, in both cases, girlfriend and doctor friend, obviously had numerous opportunities to remove their masks throughout the work days. Breaks, lunch, office report-writing time at computer alone …. Etc.

But point of bringing this up is to counter any inclination for some people to advance the belief that there is some kind of physical barrier to mask-wearing.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:59 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
You could walk into a cloud of covid particles an infected person left in the air, you don't have to be near them: see below:

In a report published in early December, Hong Kong scientists describe how a traveler in quarantine at a hotel had infected a person staying across the hallway but never actually had face-to-face contact. “Airborne transmission across the corridor” is the most probable explanation, the authors conclude.

“That suggests a very small amount of the virus was able to cause an infection,” says Dr. Michael Klompas, an infectious disease physician and hospital epidemiologist at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. This could mean that omicron requires a smaller dose than previous variants to infect people, although there’s no data yet to establish whether that is true, he says.

https://www.wabe.org/omicron-is-spre...igure-out-why/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego