Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 07:16 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Wait until the new trolley line opens up, they'll all be moving to North County.

Oside is already packed with homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 07:23 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oside is already packed with homeless.
La Jolla isn't packed yet.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:26 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
La Jolla isn't packed yet.
And never will be. I know this for fact as that was part of my beat. Anyone homeless on any drug got shipped straight to downtown and released downtown. Too much money in LJ. No one in SDPD wants to deal with homeless. Back in the day anyone who showed up late for work got "the van" and had to do homeless pickup. Get Pee'd on, spit on, had to shackle a bunch and it was just nasty. Some of these people had who knows what kind of diseases. The van would smell like ammonia from the drunks. I can smell that today like 20 years ago.

A good reason to be at work on time.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:43 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

He's gonna "lift them up".... ok.
Also, new homeless czar just appointed the other day. We're all set to solve this problem for good.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 PM

148 posts, read 104,900 times
There are also way more "van lifers" and other folks who live in cars/RVs. Take a drive around Mission Bay (especially at night) and see how many line the streets. Start at De Anza Cove Park and drive to Fiesta Island. There is zero enforcement. Also drive to the far side of the dirt lot at Torrey Pines Gliderport. There are a lot of them there too.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:47 AM

332 posts, read 632,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What is our Mayor going to do about this?
He is too busy trying to award businesses for mandating vax cards for their patrons. What a joke of a mayor and human being.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:47 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
There are also way more "van lifers" and other folks who live in cars/RVs. Take a drive around Mission Bay (especially at night) and see how many line the streets. Start at De Anza Cove Park and drive to Fiesta Island. There is zero enforcement. Also drive to the far side of the dirt lot at Torrey Pines Gliderport. There are a lot of them there too.
This is true. There are people that live in their cars, but you would never know it, and they don't park in the same place every night, either.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:57 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
homeless figure ... nice weather, staying on prime real estate, plenty of social programs, food is not hard to find, I see trend of living on the streets increasing.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:11 AM

23 posts, read 18,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Comparably speaking downtown is looking much better than LA and SF because our city doesn't allow all day sidewalk camping like those cities do. Homeless have to pack up each morning and move along. Our homeless population is huge, we just do a better job of "hiding" it from our tourists.
I agree that downtown looks FAR better in terms of homelessness than either the Bay Area (where I live) or Los Angeles (where I have some family). I just spent last week in San Diego, staying at a large hotel downtown. We spent most of our time downtown, in Balboa Park, or at the beach. My husband and I kept marveling how how few homeless people we saw as well as that those we did see, without exception, did not appear to be hassling anybody or otherwise acting anti-social. I walked through the large park (sorry, the name of it escapes me now) behind the county administration building several times during our stay, and while I did see a few homeless people there, I never saw an encampment, never saw anyone shooting up, visibly drunk, etc.

I also marveled at how there was virtually zero litter in San Diego parks compared to parks where I live (let alone those in SF or LA). Oh, and no human feces. Sadly, there have even been homeless men defecating on residential streets in my own Bay Area neighborhood in the past year, and I live in a "nice" neighborhood.

To be clear, I don't doubt that the homeless problem in San Diego is as bad as residents say it is. I'm only saying that to a visitor from the SF Bay Area, it seemed--by comparison--almost non-existent. I don't live in San Francisco or Oakland, either, but in a very middle- to upper-middle-class suburb, and I honestly witness far worse behavior by homeless people here on a daily basis (screaming obscenities at people, threatening women and children, deliberately walking into or riding their bicycles into traffic, just to give few recent examples) than anything I saw in San Diego.

My husband and I concluded that the city authorities in SD must be very diligent at keeping bad behavior by homeless people under control in the areas favored by tourists, so I found this post very interesting since it confirms our conclusion. I wish the same could be said about the homeless issues in SF and many of its burbs. :-(

Old 07-27-2021, 11:32 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
SD's homeless are more likely to set up camp in the canyons away from the busy streets of downtown....they are less likely to be bothered by law enforcement and can probably camp for weeks or months at a time before being pushed out. Homeless encampment fires seem to be a regular occurrence in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego