Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 11:35 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Or maybe just address the root problems driving homelessness for a change.
Sticking a whole bunch of people in boxes arranged in a mini-box city isn't much different from letting them set up encampments in tents, is it? All I see it fixing is the visibility problem. Until leaders want to address things like addiction and mental health, the most vulnerable in these populations are just going to continue to do what they do. They'll just have box to sleep in at night.
Exactly. It doesn’t help that the prosecution/punishment for crimes have been greatly reduced and eliminated. In the past many were given the help they needed once arrested. Homeless advocates who were once on the streets that have cleaned up will be the first to tell you this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 12:05 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Or maybe just address the root problems driving homelessness for a change.
Sticking a whole bunch of people in boxes arranged in a mini-box city isn't much different from letting them set up encampments in tents, is it? All I see it fixing is the visibility problem. Until leaders want to address things like addiction and mental health, the most vulnerable in these populations are just going to continue to do what they do. They'll just have box to sleep in at night.
Yes, it is quite different. I am not advocating this as a best solution … just saying you aren’t thinking that one through.

That said, bless your little hearts all who are sensitive to the issues of mental health and addictions … but it is absolutely clear from years of thousands of posts that none of you expressing this compassion - which is nice and all that - have dealt personally with these afflictions and struggles.

The root causes of addictions and mental illness are multifold. There is no simplified secret answer. It comes as a potpourri of genetics, life experiences, human psychology and physiology, and, the single most issue is, the cultures humans have evolved into socially. This last is paramount with modern mandates for competitive lifestyles that crush the spirits of many who simply aren’t able to compete to thrive.

Our silly cultures are not going to have an epiphany and turn themselves around. Between the competitive venues for survival and the bizarre commitments to perpetual growth for our economic models, we are forcing marginalized people onto the street by eliminating cheap shelter options.

We are never going to solve the riddles of addiction and mental illness. Some individuals will find paths out of their darkness … but you will never see any large scale resolution that brings ‘lost souls’ back into the fold.

All we can do is house / warehouse those who fall through society’s cracks.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:55 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yeah I’m well aware it didn’t cost $130K for just materials on the shed. The point is if someone was in business to make money they could’ve built an apartment complex for less. But the fact remains the homeless industrial complex is real, and many are making great money “solving” homelessness.

Even still, $8,600 is insane for an 8x8 aluminum composite shed. They also only put the life of these sheds as 5 years. Which is also insane for something costing so much.
Most "urban" development sites come with all utilities to the site, etc. That wasn't the case with this site...all sewer lines/utilities had to be extended, etc. The site work costs would have put any developer in hole to start with at this site.

The article said at least a five year life. I've read elsewhere the company says they have a 10 year life.

The cost of the shed includes FF&E inside the units, etc. (however modest). It is far from perfect and I would hope costs for these go down over time as more companies get into the pre-fab market.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:35 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,480 times
Here's a nice video tour of tiny house villages for the homeless in LA. It's a great idea, but the cost is enormous. Too much for too little perhaps. Still, it looks like it will help those who want the help. The actual tour starts at 2:07.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:51 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
I be curious whether there will be proof of hardship/residency to get those benefits, and whether priority given to those experiencing involuntarily homelessness due to reasons beyond their control often do to another’s lack of morality. Just like getting cal fresh? And that it won’t be abused by people deciding to be homeless instead for the free handouts due to they paying big money for certain substances. However there those homeless who were in Phoenix and Salt Lake City who mercilessly/inhumanely make them sleep in black tar or concrete parking lots especially in the 112f phoenix heat essentially giving them a death sentence. No wonder they travel west whenever they can whether by hitchhiking or by bus to save their life’, California just happens to be somewhat more humanitarian which consequentially would attract more such people to come in which they don’t have resources to handle. It doesn’t matter what lead to their homelessness in the first place they need to save their life and do whatever necessary to do so. What should California cities do for these people. Send them back to die? I be curious would Interstate homeless issues be addressed by the feds?

I personally pretty much torn on the issue but it appears we also need to resolve the social issues that lead to homelessness in the first place. Some are voluntary others are beyond people’s control. The latter really need to be addressed now.

I really dislike going to downtown San Diego these days. I saw so many homeless encampments on the main routes to get to and from
Petco park in which many attendees must walk past to get to and from the game.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:02 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Here's a nice video tour of tiny house villages for the homeless in LA. It's a great idea, but the cost is enormous. Too much for too little perhaps. Still, it looks like it will help those who want the help. The actual tour starts at 2:07.

I am not a builder, but it seems like an apartment building with very small units, 3-500 square feet would be more cost effective.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:33 PM

134 posts, read 91,114 times
Ok, we know they are homeless but what is the solution to this problem? For example, I watched on TV: how the state of Turkey opened a beautiful camp with tents for 5000 refugees from Syria. The camp has showers, school, food, dining, etc. Since the climate is warm, the state of California may open several such tent camps for homeless people in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco with showers, laundry, food service, security, etc. it will be better than living and dying in the streets and it will be financially more economical for the state as well.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:04 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
The millennial generation (larger than the boomers) have contributed a lot of misplaced people who become vagrants and addicts.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post

Any dollar spent on the homeless will go much further not being spent at the beach. I'm not sure why advocates keep throwing our tax money at supporting the homeless living next to million dollar properties. It would stretch so much better inland just even a little bit.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:04 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I am not a builder, but it seems like an apartment building with very small units, 3-500 square feet would be more cost effective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Any dollar spent on the homeless will go much further not being spent at the beach. I'm not sure why advocates keep throwing our tax money at supporting the homeless living next to million dollar properties. It would stretch so much better inland just even a little bit.
I agree money is not well spent near the beaches …. But that said, I suspect the properties these huts and any tent camps will be on is land being held for long term development investment or future municipal use- not permanently committed to these projects.

The reason for the huts vs small apartment buildings is likely found connected to a fairly temporary or portable character. I doubt this land is being purchased outright for this housing application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego