Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 05:20 PM

187 posts, read 132,301 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

Is garbage collection mandatory in San Diego County, specifically in Escondido?
The reason I am asking is because where I currently live (Sonora, in Tuolumne County) it is optional.

Thanks!

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 08-05-2021 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 11:27 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Are you in the county, or actually in the city limits of Escondido?
When I lived up there, I was in different places including near where you ended up. Some of that is county or right on the border where its been incorporated into the city. Since I moved around and was in both, I don't recall any way within city limits to avoid that bill as iirc, trash was built into sewer and water like most municipalities. In the county though, you might be able to get away with not using one of the private trash companies but I don't know why you would. Also, this may have changed as I haven't lived there in over two decades.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Are you in the county, or actually in the city limits of Escondido?
When I lived up there, I was in different places including near where you ended up. Some of that is county or right on the border where its been incorporated into the city. Since I moved around and was in both, I don't recall any way within city limits to avoid that bill as iirc, trash was built into sewer and water like most municipalities. In the county though, you might be able to get away with not using one of the private trash companies but I don't know why you would. Also, this may have changed as I haven't lived there in over two decades.
Our new (to us) place is on Summit Drive.

For the record, I would never try to save money buy opting out of trash collection. Just trying to figure out if it is included in yearly tax assessments of if I have to initiate/pay it on my own.

I have been told that the local garbage collection service at our address is provided by EDCO.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2021, 06:30 PM

If it's EDCO, you're going to start and stop service with them. I think everything off Mary Ln. and Summit is just outside the incorporated city limits so you're county. The boundaries can be wonky but we lived right over that way on the other side of the valley for years and that was always the case. Unless something is different now, you pay the bill to them. There shouldn't be a yearly assessment on top of that.

eta: You also won't vote for things like city council and mayor where you're at.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
If it's EDCO, you're going to start and stop service with them. I think everything off Mary Ln. and Summit is just outside the incorporated city limits so you're county. The boundaries can be wonky but we lived right over that way on the other side of the valley for years and that was always the case. Unless something is different now, you pay the bill to them. There shouldn't be a yearly assessment on top of that.

eta: You also won't vote for things like city council and mayor where you're at.
Thanks for that!

I guess we fall under the auspices and management of San Diego County, rather than Escondido, eh?

Any other thoughts about that part of the world? We fell in love with the (semi-?) rural location, with acreage, yet close proximity to commerce/amenities and two major throughways (I-15 and CA 78).

Old 08-06-2021, 08:45 PM

It's a great area. The satellite regions around Escondido proper, like Del Dios, San Pasqual on the sw/se, and Country Club, Jesmond Dene, Hidden Meadows to the north, are the most desirable. The downside can be getting around because the arterial routes like Bear Valley and Valley Pkwy can get traffic-y to the point where it feels like it takes an hour to get across town. Luckily you have amenities within your sphere so you don't need to drive miles and miles into town to find them. It wasn't always like that on that side of town. It's rural enough like you said, but not too much that you're driving forever to get groceries. That's what Valley Center (I think you considered there too) would've been and that's a drag.

It can get hot, but you probably realize that. You're also pretty safe from huge development since that area was built out so long ago, at least it won't be right on top of you. You're also not going to get the riff-raff you would in the middle of town.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:49 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
My mom had a place in rural Escondido that started out in the county, and was then annexed into the city. She had to pay for garbage service even though they didn't come out her road... she had to tug the garbage bin out ¼ mile each way. So she paid to have a Dumpster brought out, and every time it filled she'd pay to have them empty it. While paying for regular garbage service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego