Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 12:58 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarr2010 View Post
I live in Mira Mesa for 38 years now. Its has become the over crowded community. On my street we have 4 houses with 8 to 11 people in each house. Each house has 6 to 9 cars. They have people living in the back yards in unpermitted structures, living in a the garages. The home owner also live in the homes. I know there is a law for renters but not for actual home owner occupying's the home. My understanding of the rent law is, only have 2 people to a room. My questions is this

If the owner lives in the house how many people can be renters.

Does the 2 people rule per square foot for renting apply.

How can we get the city to site these owner who have unpermitted structures for living spaces.

How can we get the city to site these home owners for renting to so many people in one house.

Does the city even care. If so who can I contact.
Probably adult children that have not left the nest due to excessively high costs of housing in Southern California.

Or illegal migrants packing themselves in to save money, and because they have no where else to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 01:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
This actually reminds of the 90s TV show "The Heights". Its about young working class adults who live in a house together and have a band, and hope to make it big.

Is it common in California for young adults to be tenants in common in a single family house? Or at least I can imagine it becoming more common for older single adults to live in a one family house with other older single adults. Seeing as how expensive housing is.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:22 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
This is were I'm not sure of the the Rule since the home is owner occupied. But 8 to 11 people in one house must be something done.
Is your municipality's code online, you could look or just call code enforcement for clarification. I can't believe a city in California doesn't have capacity ordinances or a livability code for rentals or how many unrelated people can live in a house.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:26 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
If the owner lives in the house how many people can be renters.
I'm glad you brought this up. The old rule used to be 2 people per bedroom plus 2 for the common area in the city of San Diego. Maybe things have changed.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:31 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. The old rule used to be 2 people per bedroom plus 2 for the common area in the city of San Diego. Maybe things have changed.
San Diego tried to pass it's own occupancy caps but they were struck down in 1996 and again in 2017
https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ge-area/29424/

The reality is , there are all sorts of commercial uses for single family homes that are incompatible with the spirit of the zoning and can't be managed without occupancy caps. Including most group homes, senior housing, halfway houses, re-entry housing, etc. These are all legal and becoming increasingly common in single-family areas. It seems like the majority of this issue is in places like City Heights, College Area, greater Clairemont, Lemon Grove, Mira Mesa etc. Basically inexpensive primarily SFH areas. You don't see it in the areas with large, nice, well-kept SFH.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:35 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
I made a thread about this 3 years. Looks like nothing has changed except for real estate now being way more expensive.

Old 08-23-2021, 03:02 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,742,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
This actually reminds of the 90s TV show "The Heights". Its about young working class adults who live in a house together and have a band, and hope to make it big.

Is it common in California for young adults to be tenants in common in a single family house? Or at least I can imagine it becoming more common for older single adults to live in a one family house with other older single adults. Seeing as how expensive housing is.
It's common in certain neighborhoods like Pacific Beach. I did this until I was 25, but that was in a house right new the university.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:20 PM

148 posts, read 105,106 times
There are also a lot of wrecked cars in front yards which is a code violation. I think the city should at least start enforcing the illegal structures in backyards (especially without plumbing as that could become a health issue). Enforcing the amount of people inside is tougher.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:40 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
There are also a lot of wrecked cars in front yards which is a code violation. I think the city should at least start enforcing the illegal structures in backyards (especially without plumbing as that could become a health issue). Enforcing the amount of people inside is tougher.
In my experience. San Diego does not enforce municipal codes. There appear to be no staff dedicated to this function.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:48 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
In my experience. San Diego does not enforce municipal codes. There appear to be no staff dedicated to this function.

It depends. They won't do it on a whim, but will if it's based on a complaint. But they're picky about what they'll pursue too. The streets division used to have a laundry list of things they urged residents *not* to call about. I gather from that they are inundated with enforcement requests that they either aren't staffed to deal with as you said, or, won't because it's out of their realm or simply not an actual code violation. For instance, one of the things on list had to do with unkempt yards/weeds/overgrown lawn --not illegal, please don't call.

They do chase down parking violations though. A neighbor was cited for an RV he had on the street and even pointed out to them that they left another neighbor across the street alone even though they had one within full view of his. They literally told him something to the effect of, "yeah, but nobody called about *that* one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego