Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 08:59 PM

42,745 posts, read 25,916,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Why would that lead you to believe there's a conspiracy to hide something?
Heat stroke, falls, and exposure are the big killers for people trekking in the outdoors. This story is all occam's razor stuff; it was hot enough, they didn't appear to be prepared, there's at least some sign that the wife went for help and there's no indication of foul play as of yet. It makes the most sense to think they got in over their heads, maybe something happened to the guy, the wife went for help but it was all well past the point of no return. It's not hard to get dehydrated and then fall delirious to it. I've hiked a lot, in warmer weather and at elevations above the treeline, and even I've had occasion where I barely picked up on the fact that something wasn't right. That's when you stop, assess and act. People panic though and start moving quickly and exacerbate their situation. It happens.
As for the toxic algae, it seems weird that *that* would be such an instantly deadly thing but I admit I don't know the mechanism for how that works. Also, I carry a filter on any hike that I know will have a source of water, even if I don't intend to use it.
Because heatstroke and 'exposure' would not kill 2 adults a baby and a dog at the same time. Geezus you don't die of dehydration with water in your possession and they were a mile and a half from their vehicle. The Algae toxin Anatoxin A has never been shown to kill a human but it does kill dogs and other animals. I never said there was a conspiracy I said I think if they find the cause of death we may never be told what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Arsenic poisoning is the only thing I can think of that could work that fast.
Fentanyl, cyanide, Tetrodotoxin, Phenol, Propofol, Sodium Thiopental, Taxus Baccata (yew seeds), carfentanil etc.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm thinking there was something in their water that knocked them out. Whether intentional or not. That dog is way more tough than any human. Even a lazy one.
That's certainly possible.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:13 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Fentanyl, cyanide, Tetrodotoxin, Phenol, Propofol, Sodium Thiopental, Taxus Baccata (yew seeds), carfentanil etc.
thorough list - good thinking
Anything at high enough dose can kill, even water, but your list includes agents that can do it in low dose and quickly, and practically possible; also those russian assassination poisons

Old 08-26-2021, 10:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,390,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Because heatstroke and 'exposure' would not kill 2 adults a baby and a dog at the same time. Geezus you don't die of dehydration with water in your possession and they were a mile and a half from their vehicle.

Says who? And actually, the fact that they still had water (how much? btw) is a classic sign of rationing which is absolutely the wrong thing to do, and even more evidence they might have reached a point of delirium by the time they stopped doing whatever they were doing. Not sure why you think the simplest explanation is the most farfetched.

Quote:
The Algae toxin Anatoxin A has never been shown to kill a human but it does kill dogs and other animals. I never said there was a conspiracy I said I think if they find the cause of death we may never be told what it is.

And would that not be a conspiracy? If "they" find the cause of death and keep it from the public, that would mean people ("they" is plural) are conspiring to keep something secret. That's all I meant by the word conspiracy. Where I might agree with you on that is if LE intentionally tried to keep details suppressed to flush out a suspect but there still doesn't seem to be anything concrete supporting murder here.

Nobody on the internet is going to solve this. It's just talk. You don't have to bite my head off over a word.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:01 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,390,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
thorough list - good thinking
Anything at high enough dose can kill, even water, but your list includes agents that can do it in low dose and quickly, and practically possible; also those russian assassination poisons
Or space aliens.
I mean, if we're just spitballing ideas here, I'm going with something extraterrestrial.

At this point, I would suspect that if the cause of all their deaths was something they ingested willingly, it would've shown up (and maybe it has) in the tox screen. Water would be the most likely thing two adults, a baby and a dog would share, but it just seems more plausible that the lack of it, couple with the heat, possibly one of them in distress and the other attempting to plow ahead, all lead to their demise. The dog isn't a total anomaly. Dogs aren't bulletproof. And once more, if they were attempting to ration that water (which I strongly believe there's evidence of), the last family member who's going to get some is probably the dog.

If we're going with chemicals, it's not uncommon to see cyanide around mining sites, usually illegal ones.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:50 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Okay, so nobody actually knows anything, at all

Old 08-27-2021, 01:54 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
The latest update from the sheriff's office clarifies a bit on the timeline. The family was reported missing at 11 pm on 08/16, and then search and rescue commenced. 5 miles of the trail loop (8.5 miles) has a steep southern exposure path with little/no shade, and weather in certain parts of that trail from 11:50 am to 5:50 pm was around 103-109F.

Toxicology of the couple as well as K-9 samples were sent to labs, with timeline for results still pending.

Multiple water samples taken in the area and the water that was in the Camelback. These water samples were sent to both the state water board as well as independent labs for testing.

The following causes of death have been ruled out:

* Gun or other weapons
* Chemical hazards along the trail

Timeline:
8/14/2021 – John Gerrish researches Hites Cove hike via phone app
8/15/2021 7:45 am – Witness sees Gerrish/Chung family traveling towards the trail head in their vehicle
8/16/2021 11 pm – Family friend reports family missing
8/17/2021 1:53 am – Family car located
8/17/2021 1:55 am – Search and Rescue Mission Initiated
8/17/2021 11 am – Family Located by Search and Rescue
8/19/2021 – Autopsies completed on Family and Dog- All currently pending toxicology
8/20/2021 – Search warrants issued for phone found with family
8/20/2021 – Search warrants issued for family home and cars- nothing significant located
8/23/2021 – Additional water samples collected from water sources along the trail area
8/24/2021 – Cell phone delivered to FBI for data extraction- Awaiting results
8/25/2021 – Search Warrants issued for possible social media access

Old 08-27-2021, 08:45 AM

102,062 posts, read 106,967,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Okay, so nobody actually knows anything, at all
Kinda pretty much. And authorities haven't ever even considered heat stroke as a possible cause by itself. So people concerned about this case are waiting for the toxicology report.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:08 PM

9,786 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Lots of Walter Whites running these days
Lets just wait for the Autopsy report to come out. When it comes to the Outdoors, it does seem like a lot of Tech Workers have been getting themselves into trouble lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego