Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 01:21 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Yeah I got a shotgun last October. Looking to get a pistol of some kind now, but prices are higher than usual I guess. (Says a friend who knows prices better than me)
Since covid EVERYTHING is higher. I just bought a firearm I should have bought 2 years ago but was on the fence about it. I'd say you can get some regular prices on things now but not really any deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 06:33 PM

148 posts, read 104,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya, chances of getting capped from people that are always home gotta cut into the tweakers bottom line. Someone is always home here now and these peeps know how to shoot.
Isn't California law not favorable for homeowners who shoot intruders, especially if they try to say the intruder was not a threat and self-defense wasn't necessary?

Old 09-01-2021, 06:42 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frac View Post
Isn't California law not favorable for homeowners who shoot intruders, especially if they try to say the intruder was not a threat and self-defense wasn't necessary?

Not really. It's pretty standard (pc 197) castle doctrine.
Nothing is ever black or white in these areas of law. It always boils down to the interpretation of a "reasonable" person and that translates to how a jury might feel given the particular circumstances. You don't have to prove to have known the motives of someone who forces their way into your house when you're present. It can be assumed that the mere act of breaking into an occupied home shows intent to do harm. That would definitely be the angle of my defense if I wasn't entirely sure a jury would buy the reason I used ultimate force.

Last edited by joosoon; 09-01-2021 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I’ve been looking at some data that is in line with the idea that San Diego has perhaps substantially lower property crime than the other major metros in CA.

I know the FBI and others publish their stats, but does this feel right to you? What does San Diego “feel” like for those who have lived there and in other CA metros ?

Thanks

Feels like it's a non-issue personally. For me over the course of five decades, living in multiple areas of the county, I've had a couple auto break-ins and a few little thefts and disturbances around the house in each place. Never a full scale burglary of anything. I'll leave my garage open while I'm home in the day, but away from it on the property, and not worry about it. But we also live on a fairly busy street in a typically "nice" neighborhood too.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:03 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Feels like it's a non-issue personally. For me over the course of five decades, living in multiple areas of the county, I've had a couple auto break-ins and a few little thefts and disturbances around the house in each place. Never a full scale burglary of anything. I'll leave my garage open while I'm home in the day, but away from it on the property, and not worry about it. But we also live on a fairly busy street in a typically "nice" neighborhood too.
Had my home broken into and the police thought they knew who did it, but didn't do anything. N SDC.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:16 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
I visited SD several times in the past and I remember certain areas like San Marcos, El Cajon, etc. had gangs but I don't know if it's still the case. Maybe someone from SD can comment on the better areas, I would be interested in that info. I just loved the beach areas like Encinitas, Pacific, Solana, each had it's own distinctive personality.If I lived there I would probably go to Carlsbad, couldn't afford LaJolla.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:35 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I visited SD several times in the past and I remember certain areas like San Marcos, El Cajon, etc. had gangs but I don't know if it's still the case. Maybe someone from SD can comment on the better areas, I would be interested in that info. I just loved the beach areas like Encinitas, Pacific, Solana, each had it's own distinctive personality.If I lived there I would probably go to Carlsbad, couldn't afford LaJolla.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...detailedTopTen

It has a chart further down that lists the situation with a lot of cities.

Old 09-03-2021, 05:41 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Lots of petty theft - have had multiple items stolen including my shoes and eyeglasses.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:02 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I had my black rubber welcome mat stolen from in front of my door. I suspect my next door neighbors took it, though. It was there when I moved in, so I wasn't out any money, and replaced it with a piece of carpet remnant that someone gave me.

Old 09-05-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Had my home broken into and the police thought they knew who did it, but didn't do anything. N SDC.

Kinda sad, but I don't think LE even investigates normal property thefts anymore. They ask if you're insured, write a report and you're done. Maybe that's the way it is all over the country. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego