Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 09:41 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Cause, ya know, those fires up North. Amazing how those hundreds of thousands of people that live on the land survive without big brother running the show here locally. Ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 09:57 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Official News Release from the USDA Forest Service.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd949147.pdf

How would this be enforced in SD's Cleveland National Forest....say at Mt. Laguna...do they just close Sunrise HWY and all the roads that lead up into the mountains? Are State parks like Cuyamaca Rancho State Park which is adjacent to the Cleveland National forest still ok to visit?

Old 08-30-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Official News Release from the USDA Forest Service.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd949147.pdf

How would this be enforced say at Mt. Laguna...do the just close Sunrise HWY and all the roads that lead up into the mountains?
They put out blocks on all turnouts. This is freakin ridiculous. There will still be fully staffed fire stations. People live up there. This is MORON to the highest power. I get we moved some equipment up North to help but all local stations are still staffed.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
My thought is, they are doing this to ensure the key people are concentrated in the places they are needed. South Lake Tahoe was evacuated today. I don’t think they want to do this. There are too many gumbies out there and rescue resources need to be moved to Dixie and caldor fires.

3 weeks ago I aided in the rescue of fallen climber in the Yosemite. We were a pitch above a climber who fell 30 feet and decked on a ledge, broke their back, ribs and major concussion. I rappelled to them and helped the SAR team with the extraction via helo. The SAR crew has a very tough job, and right now recreations use cannot be a priority. Respectfully my 2 cents as a fellow outdoorsman. This was NPS, not state of CA.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:30 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Let's trust the experts here not unhinged (ivermecetinhydroxy) rants

Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
My thought is, they are doing this to ensure the key people are concentrated in the places they are needed. South Lake Tahoe was evacuated today. I don’t think they want to do this. There are too many gumbies out there and rescue resources need to be moved to Dixie and caldor fires.

3 weeks ago I aided in the rescue of fallen climber in the Yosemite. We were a pitch above a climber who fell 30 feet and decked on a ledge, broke their back, ribs and major concussion. I rappelled to them and helped the SAR team with the extraction via helo. The SAR crew has a very tough job, and right now recreations use cannot be a priority. Respectfully my 2 cents as a fellow outdoorsman. This was NPS, not state of CA.
Agreed...shutting down the forest the right thing to do now due to historic drought, climate change, arson, and red flag fire threat.

Lake Tahoe about to get incenerated now with historic fire bearing down on it.

So glad my elderly mom finally sold her weekender cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains. Thought for sure we lost it back in 2003 during the historic "OLD" fire started by arson...missed our place by only about 75 yards...only a matter of time it happens again with the ever increasing fire threat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fire

Old 08-31-2021, 04:06 AM

BLM is still open. All fire stations here, OPEN. This will kill the few small businesses that survived covid on places like Mt Laguna. This makes zero sense. Sheriff search and rescue is not even being called out for most emergencies yet here we go again. These fires are HUNDREDS of miles away. We should probably close the oceans again since there was a hurricane in New Orleans.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:19 AM

274 posts, read 318,492 times
Get used to it, this will be EVERY year now. Last year they waited to close them until the fires were actually happening somewhat in the vicinity of certain forests mid-Sept, this year they preemptively close forests hundreds of miles away from any active fire prior to Labor Day. They claim to be re-opening 9/17, but we saw how that went last year. We'll be lucky if the Govt allows us on taxpayer owned land before Halloween. I predict next year they will close earlier in August even if no active fires are burning, just due to ”extreme fire danger” conditions.

Does anyone really think this will be anything but an annual occurrence? CA keeps getting hotter and drier for longer, and I really think this is a turning point in how this is going to be managed going forward. Once the powers that be set a precedent for something like this, they usually seem to grasp onto that power and keep it going. Human nature I guess.

Are we eventually heading to a place in time where the Govt will tell you that you can't go out in the woods at all from the 4th of July until Thanksgiving? Seems crazy, but we could be there in CA before you know it. The question is, who do these forests belong to? Us, or the very select few of them that seem to know what is best for all of us?

Old 08-31-2021, 08:46 AM

84 posts, read 57,072 times
Great! Shut down our forests just in time for hunting season out here.
Whatcha going to do?

Old 08-31-2021, 08:49 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Seems like every year the governments around the world become more and more radical in restrictions they set on the people who owns the government and the lands. Preemptive power safety shutoffs that could last for days or even weeks during a wind event even if no fires burn. Yet they continue to push for electric cars. As those won't be able to run if they could not be charged for that long. And will not be able to evacuate for a wildfire.

COVID is a great enough example of governments trying to trespass people from their own land/houses last year if they decide its not their primary residence. Soon people would need permission to breath as breathing will increase carbon dioxide. As well as from the people's common lands owned by none other except mother nature.

I be curious as we had plenty of pretty dry years and devasting wildfires in the past but never did the feds go this far in terms of banning the people from the "people's" lands even in places that are far from burning. Its interesting as plenty of highways pass through national forest lands. And plenty of people own lands there. Does this mean many ski resorts with summer activities have to close as well? What about the cities and towns in the mountains?

Also it had been raining alot recently in many national forests due to the overactive monsoon season this year thus the blanket ban on forest activities is even less warranted as its nearly impossible for fires to burn this wet. In fact it is now raining cats and dogs where I am. I be curious whether the Biden Adminstration has something to do with this. I be curious what would had happened if he was president on March 2020? Would he immediately order a hard lockdown on anything under federal jurisitication? And penalize states that don't follow his lead?
Though sadly across the world the nanny police state only seems to grow with every passing year. And it appears as Timon's mother on the Lion King 1/2 mentioned to Timon "everything the light touches belongs to someone else." It appears everything is quasi private these days no matter what even schools are labeled private property and fields locked during non school days unlike before. And good percentage of residential roads are labeled private as well in San Diego County.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-31-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego