Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 11:59 PM

243 posts, read 228,510 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in this sub ever done this or know someone who has ? What’s this like nowadays
? I hear conflicting information on the commute time with and without sentri

Sometimes 45 minutes , maybe an hour to north county in the morning with sentri and 1 1/2 coming back

Sometimes 3 hours with sentri

Sometimes 3 hours without

Sometimes only 1 1/2 hours without sentri

I’m young and doing an apprenticeship with a trade union so I have extra money from my GI bill and I actually qualified for my own place with a VA program but both of these aren’t permanent so I’m thinking after I use the VA rehousing program that Ill get my passport, sentri , a much more fuel efficient 2nd vehicle and live in TJ while still working up here

Being in the trades I’ve met quite a few people , both white and Hispanic who go often and they told me I need to kinda learn my way around and go several times first

The first few times I need to go in a group apparently too , no exceptions

I’m all for living in western TJ because I love Latino culture and the low COL but if the commute is extremely brutal everyday , like 2+ hours one way I’d rather not.

Yes I know San Ysdiro, Bonita and IB are cheaper without having to cross everyday but those areas are getting real expensive in price too.

I probably won’t ever be able to buy anything anywhere in San Diego when I finish my apprenticeship and make 60/+$ hr but thats down the line , I’m thinking in the near future like end of next year , not 4 years from now.

Is the commute gonna be soul sucking ? Or is it really quick now with sentri ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 12:13 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Once you cross the border San Ysidro to Encinitas is 35 minutes ZERO traffic 45 minutes LIGHT traffic maybe up to an 1 1/2 during rush hour. This is heading NORTH. Coming back SOUTH into TJ on a weekday during rush hour VERY long time VARIES. Holidays even worse. Sometimes unbearable.

Public Transportation to Encinitas ...Trolley Coaster then Bus 3 hrs on average 2 1/2 seamlessly.

Living in TJ is great but having to cross everyday is a dogs life. That of a mutt.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:32 AM

243 posts, read 228,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Once you cross the border San Ysidro to Encinitas is 35 minutes ZERO traffic 45 minutes LIGHT traffic maybe up to an 1 1/2 during rush hour. This is heading NORTH. Coming back SOUTH into TJ on a weekday during rush hour VERY long time VARIES. Holidays even worse. Sometimes unbearable.

Public Transportation to Encinitas ...Trolley Coaster then Bus 3 hrs on average 2 1/2 seamlessly.

Living in TJ is great but having to cross everyday is a dogs life. That of a mutt.
I forgot to add i wouldn’t be driving back down during the normal 5 pm rush hour . i would get off between 2:30-3 pm but I would assume most TJ commuters are blue collar and that would be rush hour for us instead of 4:30-5pm.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:07 AM

Not really. The rush hour starts at 2:30/3pm heading South and North. Get off the freeways before 3pm is my advice.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:08 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
I have two tips for you.

Try it out for a week. Rent an AIR B N B for a week or two...do the commute everyday and see how it goes for you. If it's ok, then look into renting something more permanent. The thing that's different right now is that the border is closed to Mexicans with tourist visas due to the pandemic, not sure when they'll open it up for them again.

Or...learn to ride a motorcycle/scooter. After a year in living in TJ 15 years ago I got fed up with the wait and learned how to ride. Life was much easier getting between SD and TJ after that.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

Or...learn to ride a motorcycle/scooter.
I know someone in TJ who uses his scooter to cross. Pays $7 to park it at one of those lots then has his car parked on a public street in San Ysidro.

The thing is he works as a home care giver with odd hours so he isn't doing it everyday.

I also know another guy who worked in Sorrento Valley. NIGHTMARE !. He was up at 4am everyday ....border crossing trolley to Downtown Coaster to Sorrento then he parked his car over there and drove to work. Same routine coming back. NIGHTMARE !

Old 09-10-2021, 11:17 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I did it, got tired of it (with and without Sentri), and moved back to San Diego. Crossing the border is inconvenient and tiresome. Join this FB group, and do a search for your question - https://www.facebook.com/groups/962165833844979. Also, you don't get a Sentri right away, it can take up to a year.

I have a friend that just moved to TJ. He's renting a 2br house with a yard and gated parking in the Otay area. He didn't want to move, but couldn't afford to live here anymore, plus he has too many animals for anyone to accept here.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:18 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post

Agree!

Old 09-10-2021, 11:03 PM

432 posts, read 284,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
Has anyone in this sub ever done this or know someone who has ? What’s this like nowadays
? I hear conflicting information on the commute time with and without sentri

Sometimes 45 minutes , maybe an hour to north county in the morning with sentri and 1 1/2 coming back

Sometimes 3 hours with sentri

Sometimes 3 hours without

Sometimes only 1 1/2 hours without sentri

I’m young and doing an apprenticeship with a trade union so I have extra money from my GI bill and I actually qualified for my own place with a VA program but both of these aren’t permanent so I’m thinking after I use the VA rehousing program that Ill get my passport, sentri , a much more fuel efficient 2nd vehicle and live in TJ while still working up here

Being in the trades I’ve met quite a few people , both white and Hispanic who go often and they told me I need to kinda learn my way around and go several times first

The first few times I need to go in a group apparently too , no exceptions

I’m all for living in western TJ because I love Latino culture and the low COL but if the commute is extremely brutal everyday , like 2+ hours one way I’d rather not.

Yes I know San Ysdiro, Bonita and IB are cheaper without having to cross everyday but those areas are getting real expensive in price too.

I probably won’t ever be able to buy anything anywhere in San Diego when I finish my apprenticeship and make 60/+$ hr but thats down the line , I’m thinking in the near future like end of next year , not 4 years from now.

Is the commute gonna be soul sucking ? Or is it really quick now with sentri ?
You're going to take years off of your life doing this.

You've already taken enough off your life serving your country why continue

Old 09-17-2021, 05:03 PM

103 posts, read 215,822 times
I have a work mate that lives in TJ and drives to Point Loma.. Its a non trivial deal.... but he seems to make it work.

That said... have you considered renting just a room in a nice house (think.. students looking for roommates etc... or maybe a bored house wife looking to.. never mind LOL) in an upscale neighborhood? It will of course have other issues... but a nice room in a nice neighborhood is I think an option...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego