Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 08:53 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

The entire reason we moved out of PB was to get away from the crime that goes with apartments and other rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 08:54 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
Uh not in the rich neighborhoods, no ADU's likely there.
There are still a few of us who bought into "rich" neighborhoods before prices moved into the stratosphere. Also, there are plenty of commercial AirBNB'ers who pump expensive properties for the money, who would love to subdivide a single rental mansion into to multiple VRBO properties. The sweet spot for vacation rentals is 1-2br1ba.

My ADU has been making me money hand-over-fist as an AirBNB. Best investment I ever made! It pays the mortgage and then some! Of course, I'm one of the "better" AirBnB'ers as I live on the property and actually manage my guests so they don't cause trouble for the neighborhood. I also provide off-street parking and all that jazz. Not that my rich neighbors are much appeased.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:40 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerboy191 View Post
California now allows 2 story ADUs to be built on small single family lots. There will be all kinds of parking issues not to mention they are plain ugly.
Berkeley requires extra parking to be created, in the case of ADU's. This results in front yards being torn up and turned into parking lots. It's unsightly. But without ADU's, people wouldn't be able to afford to stay in their homes. People were building them in Berkeley and somehow skirting restrictive zoning long before they were allowed. They'd turn a 1-car garage into a 2-story ADU, by calling it a garage remodel, or something. IDK how they got away with it. But now I guess it's legal, though those units are still bound by radical rent control AFAIK, so.... they're kind of a mixed blessing to the owners.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:03 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I'm confused as to how HOA laws outlawing ADUs contrast with this new site law.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:33 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Must be frustrating to follow so many rules and then have them change on you. I learned my lesson in 2008 when the state decided that improvement districts were unconstitutional... and took all the tax money.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:26 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
My ADU has been making me money hand-over-fist as an AirBNB.

I was under the impression ADUs couldn't be short-term rentals, at least in the city of SD proper. Maybe I read it wrong though.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:36 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
The new ones can't be AirBnBs, but plenty of the earlier ones were used for that purpose.

The solution to the housing issue is to build actual apartment buildings on underused commercial property. Plenty of capacity there. However, housing isn't the government's goal, dismembering single-family neighborhoods is the goal.

Residents of single-family, middle class neighborhoods are inconvenient to the governing class. These neighborhoods demand responsible, effective government that achieves at least mediocre performance levels. A transient renter class just moves away from problems when they finally have the means, and generally stay disengaged from local government. I know I did when I was a renter.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:45 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
The new ones can't be AirBnBs, but plenty of the earlier ones were used for that purpose.

The solution to the housing issue is to build actual apartment buildings on underused commercial property. Plenty of capacity there. However, housing isn't the government's goal, dismembering single-family neighborhoods is the goal.

Residents of single-family, middle class neighborhoods are inconvenient to the governing class. These neighborhoods demand responsible, effective government that achieves at least mediocre performance levels. A transient renter class just moves away from problems when they finally have the means, and generally stay disengaged from local government. I know I did when I was a renter.
I think the reality is, it's easier to pass a law that impacts homeowners than commercial property owners. One, because property owners are more likely to sue, but two, the states own environmental law essentially makes it impossible (same law championed by many of the same people who authored SB9 &10).

The idea that single-family zoning is inherently racist, and the willingness of so many people to believe it, is testament to the notion that CA politics is insanity.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:08 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post

Absolutely right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego