Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 04:44 PM

587 posts, read 443,142 times

Advertisements

The Bacchanal - now there's a blast from the past!
In college I went there to see The Psychedelic Furs, The Motels, Wall of Voodoo and Romeo Void and probably a few other bands I have forgotten!

My husband took me to see The Pixies there in 1989 and it was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 05:49 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
The Bacchanal - now there's a blast from the past!
In college I went there to see The Psychedelic Furs, The Motels, Wall of Voodoo and Romeo Void and probably a few other bands I have forgotten!

My husband took me to see The Pixies there in 1989 and it was amazing.
One of my favorite songs, Romeo Void "Never say never". Serious jam. I was into New Wave/Punk then and it was my hangout . SD had no real clubs like Denver did though for that. Trax was a serious New Wave/Punk club.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:31 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
After Dark night Club i think it was called.

That's the one I couldn't recall.
After Death was the official, unofficial name.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:58 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Anyone remember Baxters on Balboa Ave? That was my other haunt.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:05 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
But Yea, Pre Stratus Night Clubs the only other teen club in town was up in Escondido. After Dark night Club i think it was called.
:
It was mentioned in the comments of the video I watched that the one in Escondido was called the Ice House.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:42 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It was mentioned in the comments of the video I watched that the one in Escondido was called the Ice House.
There may have been another night club called the ice House, sounds familiar but the one i Remember most in Escondido was after dark. My cousin worked as a bouncer at the Casa de ore Club before it closed. After Dark bought out or either took over Stratus teen night clubs in the late 80's.
After Dark switch From new wave to strictly R&B Hip hop, which was all the the kids were dancing too by the late 80's. I met my first wife at the Santee Roller Rink on Dance night.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...697-story.html after dark night club.

Quote:
April 27, 1988 12 AM PT Times Staff Writer
Escondido After Dark, a popular teen-age nightclub, was ordered closed Tuesday by city authorities who cited numerous building-code violations that they said threatened the health and safety of patrons.
Dan McFarland, Escondido city building director, said the club on East Valley Parkway previously had been cited several times for crowding--allowing more than 299 people into the building--but had never been padlocked.
Violations, reported to the city inspectors by an unidentified complainant, include unlicensed electrical wiring and unsafe construction on raised platforms where patrons sit.
City inspectors visited the club at 1981 E. Valley Parkway last Friday, and the building was posted and padlocked Tuesday after the report of their findings.The club is normally closed Mondays and Tuesdays, so the closure will not affect it until tonight, McFarland said.

After a meeting Tuesday afternoon with the nightclub’s owner, Charles Mitich, his attorney, Jeff Cheyne, and a contractor, McFarland said the city will cooperate with the club’s management in its efforts to lift the closure order in time to open tonight as usual.
He said, however, that much work must be done to bring the building up to city code standards. Hazardous electrical wiring includes “a total morass” of connections and too many extension cords and wires taped together, posing a fire hazard, McFarland said.
Poorly constructed platforms built without permits and of substandard materials must be removed and electrical deficiencies must be corrected before the club will be allowed to open, McFarland said.

Paid Content

Last edited by hitman619; 09-29-2021 at 12:58 AM..

Old 09-29-2021, 04:33 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
I am a Gen X'er who grew up in Los Angeles so my initial ventures into S.D. nightlife didn't occur until the late 80's and early 90's when two close high school buddies attended college in San Diego.

That said, before my time, two highly influential musical icons spent some of their teenage years in San Diego: Tom Waits and Frank Zappa.

Waits was the doorman for a time at the Heritage coffee house/folk club in Mission Beach in the late 60's and early 70's. Soon he was performing his early material on the Heritage stage.

Tom Waits - Heritage

His "San Diego Serenade" was released on his second album (1974). Though that tune is more pure schmaltz as compared to the more experimental/avant-garde material he became known for in the late 70's and 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hbC-_79p7I

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 09-29-2021 at 04:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 08:28 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Butt Canal.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:32 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of my favorite songs, Romeo Void "Never say never". Serious jam. I was into New Wave/Punk then and it was my hangout . SD had no real clubs like Denver did though for that. Trax was a serious New Wave/Punk club.
The Underground in PB, a little later.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:58 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
This is the strangest thread that just keeps going and going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego