Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 12:29 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,895,425 times

Advertisements

Independent of the guv, it is always good to conserve and not be wasteful. Amirite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2021, 01:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,851,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Independent of the guv, it is always good to conserve and not be wasteful. Amirite
Totally agree and most folks would consider our water conserving habits to be downright obsessive. Several rain barrels, infrequent short showers - never baths, infrequent flushing, capturing preheated water, never pre-rinsing dishes (totally unnecessary with newer dishwashers), small water features with recycling fountains etc.

I’m a child of the ‘70s and well remember the ‘75-76 California drought when I was a teenager living in the mountains and seeing nearby reservoirs we played in and skiing disappear.

The point which has been made is that the residents of the county have well heeded the clarion call of conservation already, we are smartly investing in an even better capturing and distribution water system and paying for it with high water rates. And most importantly, residential use consists of about 10% of all water consumption. Agriculture, Industrial and Commercial uses make up 90% and it is there where changes made will make all the difference.

If we do conserve more we will be punished for doing so by sky high rates being triggered and imposed.

Last edited by T. Damon; 10-21-2021 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-21-2021, 02:58 PM

3,018 posts, read 1,698,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Totally agree and most folks would consider our water conserving habits to be downright obsessive. Several rain barrels, infrequent short showers - never baths, infrequent flushing, capturing preheated water, never pre-rinsing dishes (totally unnecessary with newer dishwashers), small water features with recycling fountains etc.

I’m a child of the ‘70s and well remember the ‘75-76 California drought when I was a teenager living in the mountains and seeing nearby reservoirs we played in and skiing disappear.

The point which has been made is that the residents of the county have well heeded the clarion call of conservation already, we are smartly investing in an even better capturing and distribution water system and paying for it with high water rates. And most importantly, residential use consists of about 10% of all water consumption. Agriculture, Industrial and Commercial uses make up 90% and it is there where changes made will make all the difference.

If we do conserve more we will be punished for doing so by sky high rates being triggered and imposed.
Agreed on all points. And I already don't "waste" water. I just what I need and some for irrigation, but not a ton.

Old 10-21-2021, 03:36 PM

5,684 posts, read 4,627,226 times
Quote:
It's good to be prudent with water use and not wasteful, of course.

But there's no reason to cut water use back so severely that your lawn/landscaping dies, avoid bathing or washing cars, etc.. and you get for that effort is increased water rates.

Prudent water use is all that is needed.

Old 10-21-2021, 08:56 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,895,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
It's good to be prudent with water use and not wasteful, of course.

But there's no reason to cut water use back so severely that your lawn/landscaping dies, avoid bathing or washing cars, etc.. and you get for that effort is increased water rates.

Prudent water use is all that is needed.
Switch to native succulents and classy xeroscapes

Old 10-22-2021, 01:28 AM

964 posts, read 522,777 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Part of being the dominant species on the planet is being stewards of the land! I wish more people would think about that before they got in their 12mpg pickup truck just to go get groceries.

Old 10-22-2021, 03:39 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Absolutely. Part of being the dominant species on the planet is being stewards of the land! I wish more people would think about that before they got in their 12mpg pickup truck just to go get groceries.
We live in a desert. We keep letting hundreds of thousands of people that aren't even legal US citizens come across the southern border yearly. If we could shake that 11-13 million illegals, most which reside in CA wouldn't that fix our current water, housing and social issues? Just checking your wallet so to speak..If we are so damn "smart".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego