Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 05:05 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times

Advertisements

Just a friendly, informed reminder to please, NOT follow the governor’s voluntary mandates to cut your already modest water usage by 15% because of the statewide drought. The San Diego Water Authority has asked the governor not to make these voluntary cuts mandatory because they are already on the verge of raising our rates expressly because our consumption of their product is so low that they are barely able to meet their infrastructure payment obligations.

Because of decisions made decades ago, large rate hikes and the implementation of those infrastructure projects we are among the standout cities in the southwest that is totally fine with our water supply- for decades to come even if it stays dry. We have amongst the lowest per capita water usage in the state and country, I believe only San Francisco is lower, we have a great supplier from the Imperial Water district in addition to other sources and our local expanded reservoirs are full. The massive infrastructure projects that we have invested in our future by our high water rates with the largest desalination plant in the nation and the ground breaking of the “purple pipes” Pure Water Project of adding treated water back into the system are paying off.

Two major articles, last week in the Union Tribune and today in the NYT declares exactly what I am posting.

We have, in effect, already done our part. Don’t let them add onto the just approved increased sewer rates with unnecessary water conservation that will only hurt us in the end. Please inform your friends and neighbors of the facts. There is no water shortage for the foreseeable future here.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 05:28 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Just a friendly, informed reminder to please, NOT follow the governor’s voluntary mandates to cut your already modest water usage by 15% because of the statewide drought. The San Diego Water Authority has asked the governor not to make these voluntary cuts mandatory because they are already on the verge of raising our rates expressly because our consumption of their product is so low that they are barely able to meet their infrastructure payment obligations.

Because of decisions made decades ago, large rate hikes and the implementation of those infrastructure projects we are among the standout cities in the southwest that is totally fine with our water supply- for decades to come even if it stays dry. We have amongst the lowest per capita water usage in the state and country, I believe only San Francisco is lower, we have a great supplier from the Imperial Water district in addition to other sources and our local expanded reservoirs are full. The massive infrastructure projects that we have invested in our future by our high water rates with the largest desalination plant in the nation and the ground breaking of the “purple pipes” Pure Water Project of adding treated water back into the system are paying off.

Two major articles, last week in the Union Tribune and today in the NYT declares exactly what I am posting.

We have, in effect, already done our part. Don’t let them add onto the just approved increased sewer rates with unnecessary water conservation that will only hurt us in the end. Please inform your friends and neighbors of the facts. There is no water shortage for the foreseeable future here.

Thank you.
Thanks. I'm not changing a thing.

Old 10-20-2021, 05:30 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Agreed!

All we got last time we conserved a few years ago was increased water rates.

Agricultural use accounts 90+% of all water use in CA. Asking residential users to let their lawns go brown, take short showers, not wash car, etc... won't do a dang thing in the larger picture.

Our region has plenty of water, water storage and water production (desal).

Old 10-20-2021, 08:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
A good friend of mine used to spend over $1000 a month on his water bill in Valley Center. His water use was mostly ornamental. He had 3 cascading swimming pools and several ornamental water fountains on his property. But he produced no marketable crops.

He and his wife are in their late 70s. They recently retired to Las Cruces NM. Based on their property photos, they have a beautiful home in Las Cruces. However, their water use outside the house looks minimal. They did not even mention their water bill.

San Diego needs to become a lot like Las Cruces. Take all the showers, flush all the toilets, and wash all the clothes you want but keep the ornamental water usage outside the home to a minimum.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:08 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Not doing anything this clown has to say. Biggest hypocrite we've ever seen in office in CA. Goes out to the finest eatery on the coast after telling everyone to shelter at home. Bangs his buddie's wife and somehow gets away with it. Not my type of human to say the least.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not doing anything this clown has to say. Biggest hypocrite we've ever seen in office in CA. Goes out to the finest eatery on the coast after telling everyone to shelter at home. Bangs his buddie's wife and somehow gets away with it. Not my type of human to say the least.
Isn't this what Trump does?

Old 10-20-2021, 10:34 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
How many "units" of water do each of us use?

I vary between 3 and 4 units per month.

A unit is 748 gallons, btw.

Works out to about $15.

I don't know how I can reduce any further. I even catch the roof run-off to water the plumeria's.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:43 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Isn't this what Trump does?
One's still in office.... get it?

Number one on the hip hop scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_F_XQrukM

Careful who you vote for.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:48 PM

986 posts, read 542,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Agreed!

All we got last time we conserved a few years ago was increased water rates.

Agricultural use accounts 90+% of all water use in CA. Asking residential users to let their lawns go brown, take short showers, not wash car, etc... won't do a dang thing in the larger picture.

Our region has plenty of water, water storage and water production (desal).
Asking an American to do anything for the greater good is useless.

Last edited by CCS414; 10-20-2021 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-21-2021, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One's still in office.... get it?
Number one on the hip hop scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr_F_XQrukM
Careful who you vote for.
So you think Trump is still in office?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego