Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:24 PM

3,088 posts, read 1,757,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Anything with an HOA is a hell to the no. Like you need a Karen telling you how to live in your own damn house. I'd rather be in an apartment than another type of govt which it is.
I completely agree and that is a major downside. Hard to say who you'll end up with managing the HOA, but those roles tend to attract the Karens (and Kens) of the world. I once owned a condo at Park Mesa community and it was just like that. I just really hate having to keep everything up. Some HOAs aren't too bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2021, 10:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 4,719,899 times
To each their own.

I don't mind HOAs. I lived in one with our last 5 houses, and never had an issue. Never had a Karen encounter, and I've painted several of the houses, added pools, landscaping, lighting, solar, etc. Never anything but a rubber stamp.

And the Hoa has kept me from having to stare at ugly, dilapidated boats, RVs, trailers, "project" cars, cars on lawns, too many cars, ugly houses, overgrown lawns, unkept landscaping, etc...

Old 11-09-2021, 04:10 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
To each their own.

I don't mind HOAs. I lived in one with our last 5 houses, and never had an issue. Never had a Karen encounter, and I've painted several of the houses, added pools, landscaping, lighting, solar, etc. Never anything but a rubber stamp.

And the Hoa has kept me from having to stare at ugly, dilapidated boats, RVs, trailers, "project" cars, cars on lawns, too many cars, ugly houses, overgrown lawns, unkept landscaping, etc...
All of the above would be me.... but "nicer" projects

Old 11-09-2021, 06:33 AM

771 posts, read 837,099 times
Add me to the SFH fan category, even though I dislike yard work and other such maintenance a SFH requires. Simple solution: outsource all that. Cost wise, that outsourcing is similar or less (for some of the higher fee) than the condo fees. Also, I get to pick my providers instead of taking whichever the association dictates. With condos, you can also be subject to special assessments if, eg, a bunch of units need need roofs or windows. Even if yours doesn't need one/them for years.

HOAs can be a mixed bag but I agree with Axxlrod overall, though. It gives some recourse if a neighbor gets out of control. This is assuming an urban or suburban environment. If you're on acreage where neighbors can't see one another, then it's less important.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:49 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,757,107 times
Quote:
For me this is the draw of an HOA. If I could afford living in North PB or La Jolla it would not be a problem, because most people keep their yards up. But I live in Clairemont where that is not the case. I could move out to a track home in Santee, but no thanks, I'd rather live closer to the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Simple solution: outsource all that. Cost wise, that outsourcing is similar or less (for some of the higher fee) than the condo fees. Also, I get to pick my providers instead of taking whichever the association dictates. With condos, you can also be subject to special assessments if, eg, a bunch of units need need roofs or windows. Even if yours doesn't need one/them for years.
I see that, but for me the benefits outweigh that. Sure I can outsource, but then I have to deal with it. For me it's worth the piece of mind to let someone else deal with it and just monitor the financials once in a while (even though I never did that...). You forget that the HOA also covers other things like roof, streets, walls, etc. So I feel that the costs are largely a wash, except for when your unit doesn't need work and someone else's does I suppose. I think the key to ensuring things don't change too much from when you buy is to buy into an established community.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:42 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
If I'm retired I don't want to spend my time doing maintenance or my money paying someone else to do it. I don't care about an HOA because I'm quiet and private and don't make any trouble either. San Diego lacks attractive townhome-style housing. If you go to Seattle they have these modernist 4 unit townhomes that are really nice, with outdoor space, garages and decks. San Diego seems to favor condos with hallways and more density. I would rather trade off pools and spas and gym amenities for a more desirable unit.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:26 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,183,529 times
Quote:
To each their own.

Exhibit #1 for why an HOA can be a good thing; this wasn't that long ago - it took five years for the City to take action (other than sending citations)...

Attached Thumbnails
San Diego: The Best place to raise a family?-mm-hoarder.jpg  

Old 11-09-2021, 11:42 AM

10,344 posts, read 6,891,570 times
Hoarding is a mental issue, that manifests itself into a physical one.

The problem with HOA's is the people that run them are not vetted at all.

Any mental sickness can apply...

Old 11-09-2021, 11:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
We wouldn't need HOAs if the city actually enforced it's own municipal codes.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:01 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,183,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Hoarding is a mental issue, that manifests itself into a physical one.

The problem with HOA's is the people that run them are not vetted at all.

Any mental sickness can apply...
But, HOA Board members are also elected - so there is a mechanism in place to get rid of problem Board Members; but having close experience with three different HOA Boards in San Diego - I can honestly say that the vast majority of people (~90%) living in a community are completely apathetic to what their HOA is doing/how it's run (unless they do something extremely stupid).
The other 10% seem to be split between nosy busy-bodies on one end and trashy/noisy/hoarder folks on the other end. There does seem to be an economic factor at play as well - the pricier the area, the less trashy the people seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego