Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 12:18 PM

15,107 posts, read 32,119,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Don’t know about the other stuff but the typical insurance on a vehicle is so broadly worded that it’s difficult to accurately determine an insurance rate. General condition of the car, mileage driven per year, history of accidents, driver record and on and on. Get a quote.
I use an insurance broker, and he takes care of getting me a a good rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 12:34 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
That sounds high. Your Astrovan is pretty much worthless. Hopefully you're not insuring the vehicle.
Just wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I beg to disagree.

My Astrovan (and others) are still pretty much in demand, and yes, it's insured - with full coverage on it.

This is my 3rd Astrovan. The first one (94') was totaled, and the insurance company gave me enough money to replace it.

The second one was stolen, and the insurance company also gave me enough money to replace that one.

If something happens to this one, I'll buy another one.

There are some of us that just don't like driving little cars, and prefer driving trucks.

But apparently, it's only worthless to you.
My truck is a 2001 F350 oil burner, 4x4, long bed, crew cab and I just removed full coverage since it's been paid off for a while. As luck (or lack of) would have it I get hit by some clown that takes off. They found the car but the driver took off on foot. I had uninsured motorist and AAA said they wouldn't cover it because the driver didn't stick around. What? That's what it's for, so I thought. I'm back to full coverage.
I used Biden bucks to get it restored and it looks great now.

I bought my truck used for 16 grand over ten years ago and I can get more for it now that what I paid for it. Used vehicles are in great demand right now.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Don’t know about the other stuff but the typical insurance on a vehicle is so broadly worded that it’s difficult to accurately determine an insurance rate. General condition of the car, mileage driven per year, history of accidents, driver record and on and on. Get a quote.

Yes, talk to an insurance broker.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Just wow

My truck is a 2001 and I just removed full coverage since it's been paid off for a while. As luck (or lack of) would have it I get hit by some clown that takes off. They found the car but the driver took off on foot. I had uninsured motorist and AAA said they wouldn't cover it because the driver didn't stick around. What? That's what it's for, so I thought. I'm back to full coverage.
It's better to have full coverage, even on older vehicles.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:55 PM

10,134 posts, read 6,553,979 times
Quote:
I've never hit anyone, even when I used to drive little cars.

My Astro has exactly the coverage that it needs, and if something happens to it, I'll get reimbursed for it. At least if someone hits me while I'm inside of it, I know that I'll survive, though, as opposed to driving a little car.
And when somebody drunk hits your parked Astrovan in the middle of the night, they get killed and their family sues you for $30 million, then you start thinking....hmmmm, maybe some general liability would've been a good idea.

I know, I know, this would never happen in this litigious society...

Old 11-29-2021, 03:37 PM

5,545 posts, read 4,504,772 times
Quote:
I've never hit anyone, even when I used to drive little cars.

My Astro has exactly the coverage that it needs, and if something happens to it, I'll get reimbursed for it. At least if someone hits me while I'm inside of it, I know that I'll survive, though, as opposed to driving a little car.
That's a 20 year old minivan with even older safety tech. I def would not want to be in an accident in an older vehicle. That vehicle probably only has one (1st generation) airbag for the driver. Plus I doubt it has side airbags, curtain airbags, knee airbags, smart (two-stage) seatbelts, impact dispersion technology/engineering, etc... No thanks.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:16 PM

I definitely wouldn't want to be in an accident in a newer vehicle, they're unsafe.

I don't believe in payments, if you like to pay on a vehicle for five years, good for you.

I drive older vehicles and pay cash for them,, and my only expense is maintaining it. Why would I need side airbags, curtain airbags, knee airbags, smart (two-stage) seatbelts, impact dispersion technology/engineering, etc. I have a friend that's still driving a 1988 Bronco, and has no intention of trashing it.

I bought a 2000 Honda CRV in May, and sold it a week later. It was a tin can, my knees were on top of the console, it was unsafe, too small, and I had no problems selling it for more than I paid for it, and it sold within a week.

No thanks, I'll stick to my half ton van.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
And when somebody drunk hits your parked Astrovan in the middle of the night, they get killed and their family sues you for $30 million, then you start thinking....hmmmm, maybe some general liability would've been a good idea.

I know, I know, this would never happen in this litigious society...
If someone hits my Astrovan in the middle of the night and gets killed, that's their fault for hitting it, not mine.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:35 PM

10,134 posts, read 6,553,979 times
Quote:
If someone hits my Astrovan in the middle of the night and gets killed, that's their fault for hitting it, not mine.
100% true, but as we've seen in various courts, there are ridiculous attorneys who see dollar signs, regardless if a case has merit or not.

Oh well, nevermind.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
That's a 20 year old minivan with even older safety tech. I def would not want to be in an accident in an older vehicle. That vehicle probably only has one (1st generation) airbag for the driver. Plus I doubt it has side airbags, curtain airbags, knee airbags, smart (two-stage) seatbelts, impact dispersion technology/engineering, etc... No thanks.

Then don't buy one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego