Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 09:15 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times

Advertisements

The kidnappings have been going on for a long time now. They usually don't bother us Gringos if you look at the Statistics. One of my best friends has dual Citizenship. Up Until the Pandemic i use to go to his house in TJ at lease 5 times a year for the last 30 years, never an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 09:19 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The kidnappings have been going on for a long time now. They usually don't bother us Gringos if you look at the Statistics. One of my best friends has dual Citizenship. Up Until the Pandemic i use to go to his house in TJ at lease 5 times a year for the last 30 years, never an issue.
My old boss would go down to collect rent. He quit going down after getting Mordida'd about every other trip. They love CA plates on expensive vehicles. He ended up setting up a bank account for the tenants so they could pay over the next.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:30 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My old boss would go down to collect rent. He quit going down after getting Mordida'd about every other trip. They love CA plates on expensive vehicles. He ended up setting up a bank account for the tenants so they could pay over the next.
I'm glad I have a dirty old 2016 Rogue then. I go down to Gaviotas and try not to stop in Popotla because they have some federales stationed there. As long as I stay on the toll road I don't have to deal with them.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:24 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Ok, I guess no statute of limitation since it was Mexico.

We went down to Papas and beer. Three cars. On the way back we were rolling through TJ on what is now the 1. Right after we went through a stop sign we got pulled over. Can you say Mordida. You didn't stop. Total setup. Well, after all of us pulled over the two Federales decided we should follow them to the police station because we didn't have enough cash to pass their muster. They took our ignition keys and let us go in one car saying it was a 300 dollar fine to get our cars back or they would stay impounded. This was when all the key figures down there were driving around in stolen cars from the US.

We called two girl friends who brought our spare keys down and we snuck back on the lot and snagged our cars. They saw us do it and gave chase but we had one car zip up to the check point and scream out they are trying to steal our cars. These BP guys were cool and let us go the front of the line.

I think back how nutz that was now.
That's a crazy story ATP, hahaha. I wouldn't dare try stealing my truck back now adays. This must have been in the 90s when TJ was less violent but a lot more lawless.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:25 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Never had an issue with safety all the years I lived down there and all the trips before and after that. That said, I did get my truck towed away this summer for driving down the wrong way on a one way for a few meters one Friday night in downtown TJ. This never happened to me before down there. My nephew was actually driving my truck as I had a few beers in me but he was 100 percent sober. The policia municipal would not even take my bribe.... LOL because he said his captain was the one who pulled me over and handed me off to him. For all the hassle of getting my truck towed, having to stay the night, going to 3 different "delegations" and a tow yard, the 6 hour process to recoup my vehicle on a Saturday felt like I had gotten a DUI. All in all, my nephew got a $20 traffic fine and getting my truck out was only $45 dlls. The hotel was about $40 dlls and we spent about $20 dlls in taxis. All in all, fairly inexpensive compared to fines in CA...the worst part was not the money but the stress of the entire process and not knowing the run around I would get all day. I feel like the process is purposefully difficult so that the fines can continue to compound day after day or worse, people give up and leave their cars.

Regarding violence, it's good to know this stuff is going on so that one can be extra vigilant... but I will say San Diego is off the chain this year as far as wrong way drivers and violent crimes, the particular ones that disturb me the most are the two different shootouts near Belmont Park where innocent by-standers were shot on both occasions. Those hit close to home for me as I take my kids there regularly... not trying to minimize what goes on in TJ, but things on this side aren't to great lately either.

Last edited by malcorub16; 12-14-2021 at 05:38 PM..

Old 12-14-2021, 05:57 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
That's a crazy story ATP, hahaha. I wouldn't dare try stealing my truck back now adays. This must have been in the 90s when TJ was less violent but a lot more lawless.
Yep, mid 90's. No more for me. It was fun while it lasted. I'll fly to East Cape now. How Cabo used to be before the cartels and tweakers.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:55 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Yep, mid 90's. No more for me. It was fun while it lasted. I'll fly to East Cape now. How Cabo used to be before the cartels and tweakers.
Yep. I've owned a vacation condo at a resort in cabo for almost 20 years. Currently in escrow to be sold.

Cabo isn't what it used to be. Much preferred the old Cabo before there was Costco, Home Depot, Walmart and clubs with velvet ropes downtown. Gone are the days of cheap tacos and beer. Cabo is now like going to "Vegas with a nice beach". Lost it appeal to me.

Loreto is now on my radar.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,424 times
anytime

Old 12-15-2021, 01:17 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
TJ has more in common with LA than Mexico. It has few redeeming qualities as a tourist destination. Other cities in MX, even in Baja offer far more. Not sure what is so interesting or attractive about it, and I love MX.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:22 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
TJ has more in common with LA than Mexico. It has few redeeming qualities as a tourist destination. Other cities in MX, even in Baja offer far more. Not sure what is so interesting or attractive about it, and I love MX.
Food is way better than San Diego. It's really easy to talk to people and make new friends down there. Services are cheaper. Hard to get bored when most things are affordable. No need to own a car. Public transportation works great.

Lots of reasons to like TJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego