U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 PM

7 posts, read 39,261 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I was on earlier, asking about the commute from Carlsbad to Sorrento Valley. After some disturbing realizations, my husband and I are now reconsidering looking for homes in other areas such as Scripps Ranch because Carmel Valley is slightly above our price range.

It does seem so suburbia, and we're afraid there aren't young professionals that live out there, and weekends may leave a lot to be desired. Are we overreacting? Does anyone have any thoughts or personal experience?

Thanks,
Kathryn
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 PM

858 posts, read 2,113,621 times
Hi Kathryn,

My girlfriend and I are young professionals in our mid 20s-early 30s, and bought a house in Scripps Ranch 3 months ago.

We do feel out of touch for living here, but the neighborhood is really charming and quaint. It's about 10 miles from the beach and 15 miles from Hillcrest, Little Italy and Gaslamp District. We prefer quiet neighborhood over loud ones because if we want to party we can always to those areas. I used to live in Manhattan, and everyday is a party, and it's really difficult to escape.

We do feel like we don't belong here. We feel we get weird looks sometimes. And being Chinese doesn't help either. Everyone has a family and looks really conservative. Big trucks and SUVs. I do like seeing kids riding bikes on the sidewalks though and being in a nice neighborhood just makes it better to re-energize myself to work the next day.

I suggest driving through the neighborhood several times before you make a decision.

However, as a neighbor and a young professional, please come and live here.

Chris

Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 AM

8,861 posts, read 28,193,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitzky View Post
Hi All,
I was on earlier, asking about the commute from Carlsbad to Sorrento Valley. After some disturbing realizations, my husband and I are now reconsidering looking for homes in other areas such as Scripps Ranch because Carmel Valley is slightly above our price range.

It does seem so suburbia, and we're afraid there aren't young professionals that live out there, and weekends may leave a lot to be desired. Are we overreacting? Does anyone have any thoughts or personal experience?

Thanks,
Kathryn
it's uber-suburbia, but to be honest most of the areas you are considering are like that. You might want to look into a smaller house a bit more towards the coast...

Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM

35 posts, read 119,261 times
Ditto the last two posters. What is your price range? Little Italy, Banker's Hill, Liberty Station in Point Loma are popular places among young professionals. You just have to be okay with a little airplane noise.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the good advice...Oh, so the saga continues.... we still haven't decided. We're in Point Loma now, and really like it, but what we've found in our price range isn't the most desirable-

To make a long story short, I'm making my real-estate agent crazy, and she thinks I'm a scatter-brain. I'm not.......I'm just unfamiliar, and want to ensure we're making the best decision.

I do love Carlsbad, as it reminds me of Wrightsville Beach, NC, where we're originally from, but I'm just scared the commute will make me a demon at the beginning and end of the day..........

We do love places in Scripps Ranch and going to start a fam next year. Maybe we're just having a hard time with the hurdle over the young-profesional party couple to young-professional with baby couple- ha!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 AM

28 posts, read 236,599 times
Kathyrn and Chris I know what you mean. Although we are an "older" couple and have a younger child 13 (adopted) we really like and feel much better in the urban communities. I am "artsy". Both DH and myslef are white and our DD is bi-racial. I am always surpised at the "looks" too!!! We moved out of urban Milwaukee to the country on 5 acres, what was left of grandparents old farmstead. Although our property sits alone surrounded by woods and it is beautiful.. the rest is fast growing suburbs. The people who want to move to the country but sue when the rooster ****-a-doodles. We love nature, are not at all into suburban life (lots of hunters) and I really dislike it here.

Try to tell a real estate agent what it is that you are looking for!!! How do you say you want urban, can deal with diversity and realize that there IS more petty crime in these areas? It's different once you get use to a diverse neighborhood. You know the "in's and outs". It all has it's beauty.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 PM

40 posts, read 110,993 times
Scripps Ranch is nice. Also look at Del Sur off the newer 56 freeway between del mar, and poway. If the wife and I were not moving to Raleigh North carolina, we would have bought in Del Sur.

Of course, we can buy 4 houses that are each 3000-3500 sq'ft for the price of one house in San Diego, so sometimes in San Diego you take what you can get, then sell it and buy the dream home later.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 PM

37 posts, read 162,281 times
I don't understand the "looks" thing? There are many well to do asians living in Scripps Ranch. Mira Mesa and PQ across the 15 have many asians as well. Don't worry about anybody looking funny at you. Scripps and it surrounding areas are very peaceful, but utterly boring for a professional couple that likes to do things beyond watching TV on the weekends.

You commute from Point Loma to Sorrento V. will equally not be a cake walk. Why don't you look in the UTC area if you will be working in SV. It is kind of a second downtown of San Diego, if there is such a thing as a downtown area in SD.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 AM

Moving to Raleight??? Wow.... we're originally from Wrightsville Beach, an hour outside of Raleigh. I've got family still in Raleigh... let me know if you need any info.........happy to help!!! Best of luck to you!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM

365 posts, read 1,341,894 times
Haha, I'm having to come to grips with the young professional to young family change that my wife is dying to have. We have also looked at Scripps, 4S, Rancho Bernardo, and even further North. Suburbia= babysitters and friends that are more willing to watch the [future] baby while my wife go out than young professionals that work hard and play hard with no family sentiments or obligations. Just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego