Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 08:30 PM

50,069 posts, read 46,625,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
"If you can't afford to buy it new, you really can't afford to own it used"

I won't mess with them. I have always wanted a BMW with a straight 6 but ONE LED headlamp is $1800 on a modern 3-series. I read stories about folks needing both turbos replaced at 75k - 4500 per!

I watch a guy on YouTube who tears down engines, and the most needlessly complicated are the Audis and VW's - one part will have a 10mm socket, a Torx, and several hex bolts. I still think no one can touch Toyota for overall quality across the full range of vehicles. I also really have come to appreciate Ford. My take - lease a German car, but dont' buy it.
I mean, I loved driving it. It was a head turner being a convertible. My midlife crisis car Then after a few trips to my mechanic

Off you go expensive car. Ford is my go to and always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 08:50 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,418,823 times
Quote:
"If you can't afford to buy it new, you really can't afford to own it used"

I won't mess with them. I have always wanted a BMW with a straight 6 but ONE LED headlamp is $1800 on a modern 3-series. I read stories about folks needing both turbos replaced at 75k - 4500 per!

I watch a guy on YouTube who tears down engines, and the most needlessly complicated are the Audis and VW's - one part will have a 10mm socket, a Torx, and several hex bolts. I still think no one can touch Toyota for overall quality across the full range of vehicles. I also really have come to appreciate Ford. My take - lease a German car, but dont' buy it.
Lol, so true. Back in my poor, post college years, my friends and I were usually in one of two groups when it came to used cars. The most reliable (and unsexy) Japanese car for a few grand, or the BMW for the same price. It never ended well for the latter.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:28 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,394,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Go to OC, LA or the IE. We drove up to Capo Beach and got our new rig for $3K under MSRP. All dealers in SD were tacking on $5K-$10K above MSRP. Well worth the 1 hour drive.

We have a metropolitan area of 20M people just to the north of us. Besides the sheer amount of car dealers up there, most down here are owned by a few groups. Talk about collusion? I’ll never buy a new car in San Diego again.

Agree with all this. Even the used market from private sellers is (well, was pre-pandemic) more reasonable. Also, after sales service is what keeps a dealership's doors open and an $1800 headlamp is really just the tip of the iceberg. It's shocking to hear that dealerships are working up from sticker price right now. I get that some people like the OP maybe need a new car and can't wait for some sanity in pricing, but who is paying these ridiculous mark ups just to get a new car for funsies right now?

Old 12-22-2021, 09:36 PM

19 posts, read 62,855 times
I would just wait it out if you can. I would never pay a premium for a depreciating car.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:02 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,543,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I am a slow learner. I've had 3 and the last, a BMW M3 cost me 18 grand for a new engine after the mechanic didn't stop when it overheated. Everything on a German car will be twice, if not three times as expensive to fix. A freakin key fob for a beemer cost me 500 bucks.
The key to German car ownership is to lease them. I've leased 11 German cars in the last decade. A few unexpected trips to the dealer, mostly for my wife's Mercedes, but all repairs covered under warranty.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,532,912 times
With the exception of my Corvette, most of my cars are German. I only keep them about 4 years before the warranty runs out. However, my German cars are hardly ever in the shop. Maybe I just drive like a little old lady.

I almost bought a Tesla Model Y but 1. the dashboard design is poor and 2. the quality is far below German standards. I will give the Tesla CyberTruck a try if it comes out in the next year or two.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:37 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,369,653 times
Wow you guys have a lot of cars, I’m jealous. I have been driving the same car for 11 years, Subaru sedan with 140k miles, bought it new. still in very good shape, if gas wasn’t so expensive I’d like to buy the new IS 500

Old 12-23-2021, 03:20 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,532,912 times
Quote:
Wow you guys have a lot of cars, I’m jealous. I have been driving the same car for 11 years, Subaru sedan with 140k miles, bought it new. still in very good shape, if gas wasn’t so expensive I’d like to buy the new IS 500
Put solar panels on your roof and buy an EV. No more gasoline bills. Some EVs still give you a $7500 Federal tax credit. There may be a CA tax credit too. And don't forget about the solar tax credits.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:00 PM

50,069 posts, read 46,625,795 times
Quote:
Right now I have 4 cars, a truck, a side by side, toy hauler and a boat. Looking for a Nova between 67 and 72.

$$$$ maintenance.

Old 12-23-2021, 05:37 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,369,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Right now I have 4 cars, a truck, a side by side, toy hauler and a boat. Looking for a Nova between 67 and 72.

$$$$ maintenance.
too much for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: