Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to San Diego in the early 2000's I loved it. Especially the summertime and the beaches, the weather, the scenery. Then as the cost of living got higher and higher and higher I got tired of it and moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
you moved to Fullerton for a "lower" cost of living?!?! Isn't Orange County more expensive than SD in pretty much every way?

I love San Diego. Moved here in 2001 and still loving it more than ever. But I do want to move in a year or two but not b/c of the cost of living or anything bad or b/c I don't like it. I have just lived in CA my whole life and want to experience living outside of this state for at least a few years before I come back and decide to settle down. Thinking about somewhere on the east coast, mainly Miami just cause after living here I realize how much I love the beach and warm weather and Miami seems opposite of SD in every other way and I want a new experience. I wouldn't be surprised if I came back here; I'm originally from the Bay Area and miss my family but I love this city so much I wouldn't mind raising a family here.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
you moved to Fullerton for a "lower" cost of living?!?! Isn't Orange County more expensive than SD in pretty much every way?

I love San Diego. Moved here in 2001 and still loving it more than ever. But I do want to move in a year or two but not b/c of the cost of living or anything bad or b/c I don't like it. I have just lived in CA my whole life and want to experience living outside of this state for at least a few years before I come back and decide to settle down. Thinking about somewhere on the east coast, mainly Miami just cause after living here I realize how much I love the beach and warm weather and Miami seems opposite of SD in every other way and I want a new experience. I wouldn't be surprised if I came back here; I'm originally from the Bay Area and miss my family but I love this city so much I wouldn't mind raising a family here.

I can understand wanting to live outside the state you grew up in since I wanted to experience a different place other than the Washington DC area I grew up in. I moved to Florida in 1997(at that time I was 30) to the West Palm Beach area and after a short time realized it was DC just with Palm trees. I moved up to the Treasure Coast area Vero Beach to be exact and it was just what "I" was looking for laid back, quiet but with most amenities.

I don't know what your profession is? But remember that the income levels are considerable lower than here as well. If your dead set on Miami , do your homework well because that area is totally different than here as far as crime goes too, night and day different. People are leaving South Florida to live in the more safe northern areas of Florida.

I personally wouldn't move there but maybe look into the Tampa area, its got the best of both worlds. It can be a family friendly area ,but it also has alot to offer the single person as well. Its a great city for professionals and has a great night life "ybor city" and other places as well. Cost of living is alot cheaper than Miami .....just food for thought. I love Florida and although we ABSOLUTLY love the San Diego area unless I can bring my imcome up considerable we will settle back in Florida after my wife is out of the Navy.

Good luck with your decision!!!

PS- My answer to the original thread question is : If it weren't for the Navy shipping us back East (we we're hoping to stay here) we had planned on this being my wife's last duty station and she would get out of the Navy in three years. I was going to try and start a business here and see if it was conceivable of raising our family here on our incomes after she gets out of the Navy. But those plans were thrown out the window when she got orders to Maryland. Im still going to try and start a business....but in Maryland now and if it affords us to live here comfortable in San Diego then we'll be back. Because I'm lucky my kids arent school age right now , because I wouldn't want to raise kids in the DC area at all if I had to put them in the school systems there ...horrible public schools....period.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:34 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
I like San Diego, but don't plan on living here for the rest of my life. There will be an eventual return to Texas, which has always been our plan. Because of that plan, I never saw the move here as anything permanent and I'm content with that. After all, I can always come back for vacations.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
An easy answer for me;rather move.
I would like to stay but I think it's a bunch of hype and it's not worth it in my opinion.Don't get me wrong,I was born and raised here and I'm proud of that.But when you get older you notice things,and I'm only 20.Imagine if I was 32 and still in SD.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 PM

138 posts, read 1,002,123 times
I can't wait to leave. I don't appreciate the weather or the beach, so I'm pretty much wasting my rent money. I'm on my way to Boston in October!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,531 times
We've been here 2 years, lived a lot of places (Kentucky, South Carolina, Texas, New York, Illinois, Virginia, Florida, Mississippi) and love it here better than any place else we've ever been. We definitely don't want to move.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:35 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
I love San Diego and have lived here for years but wouldn't mind a change. I've lived all over the U.S. except the east coast. Wouldn't mind living in the the NE for a few years, maybe New England just to try something different but I'm sure the winters would be hard to get used to. I lived in Japan and loved everything about it, a very exciting place. Wouldn't mind going back but it just wouldn't work with kids. Also lived in Hawaii and wouldn't mind going back there for a maybe a couple of years (until "rock fever" kicks in).

Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

I'm originally from Fullerton. Went to junior high and high school here. My parents lived here until they sold there house a few months ago. Its probably just as expensive. The median home price right now is about $475,000.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 AM

202 posts, read 872,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
An easy answer for me;rather move.
I would like to stay but I think it's a bunch of hype and it's not worth it in my opinion.Don't get me wrong,I was born and raised here and I'm proud of that.But when you get older you notice things,and I'm only 20.Imagine if I was 32 and still in SD.
I'm with ya, I leave next month if all goes to plan. It's good, that you can notice it at the age of 20, your probably like me, sensitive to the way people behave and act, I'm 29, I turn 30 in July. Most 20 somethings can't see it yet, there still wrapped up in the partying or culture. Plus, too expensive for the wages, unless your mind is on the money 24/7--not me though--I like to live life. Remember the saying: "The Best Things in Life are Free", a place like SD has to have a lot of hype, otherwise it's just--expensive and thats all. It's like a nice car, it's shiny on the outside and gets the looks while driving, but it won't make you happy as a person. Good luck wherever you end up, if you're not happy there, keep moving, places are all very different, you'll find yours, I found mine.

Last edited by Nick682; 05-22-2008 at 01:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego