Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 07:49 PM

153 posts, read 131,684 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Phoenix to Seattle. But will be going from Phoenix to San Diego in the first day then starting our trip north. We only have a 2 wheel drive older Honda CRV (no trailer) so we are trying to avoid snow and ice. We want to take the PCH / make this drive as scenic as possible. Any advice for us? We don't mind it taking 5 days or so from SD to Seattle. What areas should we stop at? What cities/towns? What are the must see little areas, shops, food, etc? Where should we stay the night? We probably won't drive more than 5-6 hours each day max.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 07:53 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
I did this in an April. January will be more challenging weather wise.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:07 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Take PCH from Santa Monica up to Oxnard.

Then 101N from Oxnard to San Luis Obispo, then you can link back up with Hwy 1 and go by Hearst Castle and up to Big Sur and Monterey.

Hwy 1 north of SF will take much, much longer even though it is scenic. I'd rec you take the 5 from SF up to OR

Once in OR, you can head west after Grants Pass or Winston, and cruise all the way up the OR coast or head back inland through the Willamette Valley to PTL. Then 5N up to Seattle.

Old 01-02-2022, 09:12 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Just had a very similar discussion in the CA forum. Lots of applicable advice.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cali...enic-road.html

Old 01-03-2022, 12:09 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
A section of Highway 1 was closed between Gorda and Big Sur due to a rockslide last month. Even though the highway has since reopened, I would take US-101 through San Luis Obispo and Monterey Counties.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...256970297.html

Old 01-03-2022, 08:12 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Don't miss Mendocino on your way north from SF. Quaint little community perched on the cliffs above the beach--and the location of James Dean's first movie, East of Eden, plus other movies.

If you're back on I-5, looking for a place for the night before heading up through Shasta, I'd recommend staying in Red Bluff rather than Redding. Better vibe.

Just off the top of my head.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:23 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
A section of Highway 1 was closed between Gorda and Big Sur due to a rockslide last month. Even though the highway has since reopened, I would take US-101 through San Luis Obispo and Monterey Counties.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...256970297.html
Reopened but 1way controlled. So during peak times the drive will be rough. Still probably worth it.

SR 1
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 0.5 MI SOUTH TO 0.3 MI SOUTH OF RAGGED POINT (SAN LUIS OBISPO CO) 24 HOURS A DAY THRU 1201 HRS ON 1/3/22 - DUE TO EMERGENCY ROCKSLIDE REPAIR

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC 2.8 MI NORTH OF NOTLEYS LANDING /AT GRANITE CANYON BRIDGE/ (MONTEREY CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK THRU 2359 HRS ON 10/3/22 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:57 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirculateRX View Post
We are moving from Phoenix to Seattle. But will be going from Phoenix to San Diego in the first day then starting our trip north. We only have a 2 wheel drive older Honda CRV (no trailer) so we are trying to avoid snow and ice. We want to take the PCH / make this drive as scenic as possible. Any advice for us? We don't mind it taking 5 days or so from SD to Seattle. What areas should we stop at? What cities/towns? What are the must see little areas, shops, food, etc? Where should we stay the night? We probably won't drive more than 5-6 hours each day max.

Thanks for any advice.
Here is my advice for the California leg of the trip. The only real "must see" is Big Sur. It doesn't make any sense to me to get bogged down in huge cities/Orange County trying to see the southern California coast.

Take the 5 from San Diego to the 101 in downtown Los Angeles. Take that to San Luis Obispo county and find a place to crash there (I recommend Los Osos).

Get up early, get on the 1 and take as long as you feel you need to to drive from Cambria to Monterey (through Big Sur).

There are communities adjacent to Monterey that are surprisingly "normal" and non touristy. Another good place to spend a night if needed. Stay on the 1 for the remainder of California as the inland freeways have very little to offer.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:41 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Here is my advice for the California leg of the trip. The only real "must see" is Big Sur. It doesn't make any sense to me to get bogged down in huge cities/Orange County trying to see the southern California coast.

Take the 5 from San Diego to the 101 in downtown Los Angeles. Take that to San Luis Obispo county and find a place to crash there (I recommend Los Osos).

Get up early, get on the 1 and take as long as you feel you need to to drive from Cambria to Monterey (through Big Sur).

There are communities adjacent to Monterey that are surprisingly "normal" and non touristy. Another good place to spend a night if needed. Stay on the 1 for the remainder of California as the inland freeways have very little to offer.
the elephant seals in front of Hearst castle area are worthwhile

Old 01-03-2022, 02:53 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

In the winter, taking hwy 1 from Santa Monica through Malibu up to Oxnard is not much different time wise than the 405/101 route, and is much, much prettier. In summer, forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego