Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:49 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Well, there's a pretty wide age range (1946-1964) there!
Fortunately due to my eating habits, I am not "wide".

It is funny that my statement about Vietnam was bent a bit. Yes about 10% served but about 90% could have been drafted and they knew it. The protests then were interesting, though not violent like so many now.

Life changes but the younger generations have no real idea of what life was like before they were born. They just think we had it easy then and they do not.

They can just ask Tulemutt as he was alive then, though it appears he joined the military and was not drafted. He knows how that war impacted the ones drafted and he would have known some who died.

"58,148 were killed and 304,000 wounded out of 2.7 million who served"

Simple to look up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 11:08 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
…
They can just ask Tulemutt as he was alive then, though it appears he joined the military and was not drafted. He knows how that war impacted the ones drafted and he would have known some who died.

"58,148 were killed and 304,000 wounded out of 2.7 million who served"

Simple to look up.
Yes, I enlisted … not drafted. And I didn’t enlist to avoid the draft (a strategic decision made by many enlistees to increase their ability to navigate where they would prefer serving and doing what kind of duty). I also volunteered for what is considered a ‘hazardous duty’ role in service … and to top off my irrational thinking of those days, I requested service in Vietnam. It all seemed like a good idea at the time. Heh. I was 17.

I mention the above as yet another example of lack of perspective and wisdom in youth. Lol.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:52 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Again, the level of delusion and lack of any concern of the direction of our country never fails to shock and surprise. Perhaps that's how we're 30 trilion in debt with terrible infrastructure, astronomical cost of living, etc.

A bunch of narcissists.

Or maybe we're just comparing wages vs. COL over the decades and quickly realizing the imbalance and directly feeling the impact? Do you blame us for demanding better?

No one is advocating for this. Enough with the hysterics. Plus, you did enough of this in the 50s-70s. We learned from your mistakes.

Wow, really just awful response.

Yikes, I guess we've accepted that we're okay with access to housing only being for those who's parents have money.

HAHAHA. Oh dear...you don't even know a single thing about me. Would it blow your mind that I'm far better off at this point in my life than you were?

I'm just not a narcissist and can see that other people are struggling. You know...caring about my fellow American? (i know, it's tough for you to understand...)

You do realize that housing affordability is an issue across the country...? (of course you don't. Completely out of touch) "Affordable" places also have very low-paying jobs, so they really aren't "affordable". You are conflating affordability with cheap housing, without considering wages.
Demanding better?

There's this generation's problem in a nutshell.

They sit around, complain, protest and DEMAND things like housing and healthcare.

Whereas previous generations went out and worked for it.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:47 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Demanding better?

There's this generation's problem in a nutshell.

They sit around, complain, protest and DEMAND things like housing and healthcare.

Whereas previous generations went out and worked for it.
Thank GOD my kids are on the right track. Both in school, both working and they will be just fine. They are both on job #3 for each and my daughter is applying at a Hospital today. And that isn't my or previous generations fault. It's called the market and capitalism.

I heard a couple of her friends say, how can we afford to stay in San Diego. I replied, "Get a good paying job or you can't". No amount of new housing is going to bring prices on the coast down.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:21 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Thank GOD my kids are on the right track. Both in school, both working and they will be just fine. They are both on job #3 for each and my daughter is applying at a Hospital today. And that isn't my or previous generations fault. It's called the market and capitalism.

I heard a couple of her friends say, how can we afford to stay in San Diego. I replied, "Get a good paying job or you can't". No amount of new housing is going to bring prices on the coast down.
With so many cash buyers, interests rates will not have a major impact and they are still going to be at a historical low.

When I bought my home in the I.E. in 2000, the interest rate was about 8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego