Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 04:31 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,689,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Not specific to this sub, but I think forums like this are slowly fading in general. I don't know many young people who seek out platforms like this.

It's the same concept with anything. What happens when your existing base ages out and/or dies off while you're not recruiting new members to replace them? The answer is simple; the platform loses participation and slowly fades.

The used to be a time when City-Data would come up in my search results when I sought out information regarding a move. That is no longer the case. I think a lot of those search results used to be driven by higher levels of activity. Reddit seems to be the platform that draws a wider audience these days, though that soon may change, too, if another platform pops up.
I'm often surprised by how old many of the users on this forum are. Many in their 60's and 70's.

Bored retirees I guess. My parents are in that age group, and probably wouldn't have the slightest clue (or desire) to become a member of a site like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 04:52 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,563,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The only forum that draws lots of posts is Politics and Controversies. Even the lesser forums have become polarized and political. Becoming less and less an enjoyable experience because of certain posters and others.
If there's another insurrection that board will be dead as a doorknob for awhile!

Old 01-12-2022, 04:52 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
It's cheap to run this site, and the ownership in not in the US, they are in a much lower CoL part of the world. The software is open source and a competent linux sysadmin could build a cluster to support this site in a weekend. The bandwidth costs are probably high but everything else is pretty minimal.
Basically a small group of posters is creating 90% of the content on a site like this. The difference between a site like this and a site like Reddit or FB, is that on those sites, end users can share, create and distribute content on and off the platform, which continually increases it's content available to advertise with. You can't 'go viral' on a forum. This site is more like Quora in that it enforces a format, has limited additional content types, has limited reach off the platform (just Google SEO basically). I would actually liken this site to Craigslist, it is closely and privately held, makes enough $$ for it's owners, and there is no innovation or growth because other, VC-backed high-growth sites have taken all the would-be new (young) users.

Personally I find the Redditors to be much worse than the old fart brigade on this site. I am much less likely to be doxxed here as well (although it happened back in the day). I will say this, I read the SD forums on Reddit and they suck as well. It is mostly helpless people asking stupid questions that anyone with google or a phone could answer in 30 seconds.
I know the owner/owner group is based in Poland or something like that, but I think I read or heard some of their senior mods and servers operate out of the US.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if a site like this doesn't eventually become overrun by right wing, conspiracy theorists as the regular "normal" content producers fade away as mere mortals do. The P&OC is already overrun and I hear a lot of people complain that some of that seeps into the other forums. That's really unfortunate.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:53 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Like the title say, Lets discuss, or not.
I joined not that long ago, but do not post much as too much political garbage from all parties posted here. It belongs in the Political section. It has driven many away as they feel it is a waste of their time. I have had several tell me so when I posted this on a forum in another State where I have family. It has dropped since I joined. can't believe how few posts on OC as an example. SD at least has a few every day, but not what I can see when I go back in the past on some threads.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I'm often surprised by how old many of the users on this forum are. Many in their 60's and 70's.

Bored retirees I guess. My parents are in that age group, and probably wouldn't have the slightest clue (or desire) to become a member of a site like this.
Yes, it seems like most active posters are quite up there in years. Many of them are either retired, close to retirement, or have been for some time. I don't have a problem with this, but sometimes these types of folks come across as detached from the realities of every day life as it pertains to pressing topics like work, education, relationships, etc. Some posters are great and very open minded, don't get me wrong.

It's just not exactly the most attractive or welcoming place for younger folks.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:25 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,563,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Yes, it seems like most active posters are quite up there in years. Many of them are either retired, close to retirement, or have been for some time. I don't have a problem with this, but sometimes these types of folks come across as detached from the realities of every day life as it pertains to pressing topics like work, education, relationships, etc. Some posters are great and very open minded, don't get me wrong.

It's just not exactly the most attractive or welcoming place for younger folks.
The ones who dominate P&OC get their information from the likes of AM Talk, Fox, Newsmax, OAN, Info Wars, and whatever garbage lands on their FB feed. Occasionally someone will post something factual and informative, but they don't stay there long. I don't know about young folks, I'm retired and almost 68 myself but I prefer forums where even if you don't always agree with posters, you can still have a conversation based on facts.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:07 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,268 times
Quote:
Quora also took a lot of that traffic. For better or worse, this type of old-school forum site isn't slowly dying, it's basically already dead.
Quora is my go-to site, although it is not so much of a forum. They found a way of attracting high quality content and experts to contribute. The highly voted answers (not so much many of the questions) are some of the best available on the web.

City-Data is good for local stuff, but there are too many redundant questions and answers. Yes, we know it is expensive here. No, there are no secret roads to bypass your commute to Sorrento Mesa.

I'm still here to interact about the small and interesting stuff with long and even short-term locals. There are still gems to encounter (e.g., someone's dad used to ride a bike off a ramp into SD bay back in the '70's -- totally illegal nowadays).

I read often, but don't post often. If I have little to nothing to post, I don't... and I generally stay out of politics.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:15 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

This part I don't get. When I get to retire I am throwing my laptop in the ocean. I really feel sorry that people have no hobbies, or can't afford to do anything but surf the net when retired. I find this site a distraction while I am at work, nothing more. I get bored with youtube or whatever while I am chained to my desk and come here.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This part I don't get. When I get to retire I am throwing my laptop in the ocean. I really feel sorry that people have no hobbies, or can't afford to do anything but surf the net when retired. I find this site a distraction while I am at work, nothing more. I get bored with youtube or whatever while I am chained to my desk and come here.
I think a lot of people are isolated and live in rural areas. This is a form of socializing for them.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
I still check in here regularly to see what's being talked about but don't post as often as I use to. I'll post in other forums seeking advice from locals on where to eat and what to do in places I've never been before.

Quote:
NextDoor makes me wish for a time when I didn't know my neighbors so well.
I unsubscribed to Nextdoor a long time ago because it turned into bickering, complaining and shaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego