Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 09:28 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what others' experience is with their neighbors. We always smile and say hi to just about everyone. We keep our heads up and acknowledge people. There are several houses here where the people who live there act really weird. It actually seems like they go out of their way not to look at you. Maybe it's us, but the also don't seem friendly with others as well. Then there are other neighbors who are very friendly. I'd say on my street it seems to be about 70/30 split, friendly to not. I'm in Clairemont. I don't even see many of my neighbors probably because they're so old. But we've had new neighbors move in recently within the past 2 years, and they just keep to themselves. I don't want to party with them, but some friendliness would be nice. You'd think these new neighbors would be a bit more open, but at least two houses near me, they are not. What is everyone else's experience? And what part of town do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? I felt that people were much friendlier in Florida, and I can't figure out why they are like this here. What about you, do you acknowledge your neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 09:49 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I'm in Clairemont and for the most part have great neighbors. I have a couple that shouldn't own dogs but for the most part super friendly. I've done handyman work for a few. Some I fish, hunt and ride bikes with. Every 4th we have a giant block party and everyone is invited.

We used some as babysitters when the kids were younger. We also exchanged phone numbers and use nextdoor for any problems. We do get an occasional problem come through usually someone trying to ditch the cops and get lost in our rat maze of streets. Or a mission bay homeless person looking over new territory.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:39 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Everywhere I've lived as a renter had horrible party animal neighbors that didn't work and made noise all day and night.
Everywhere I've lived as an owner the average neighbor was either at or well past retirement age. Our current neighborhood in San Carlos, there is a major transition happening and a lot of the original residents are moving on and new families coming in. However we are older than these new families, as they mostly have babies and we have teenagers. I think this is why young families cluster into Carmel Valley and Carlsbad.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-31-2022 at 10:54 AM..

Old 01-31-2022, 12:34 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I've never experienced the "unfriendly neighbor" as you've described where I've lived in Carlsbad/Encinitas; however I've heard people I know complain of it in 4S Ranch and Carmel Valley areas. The person complaining about it blamed "cultural differences", and that's as far as I'm going to go with that.

There were a few very elderly people on our last street, and we never saw them except for the daily walk to the mailbox in their pajamas, but I don't think that is what OP is describing.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:26 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I'm always over at the neighbor's! They visit here, too. I'm probably the "loudest" neighbor on the block. (Motorcycles, LOL.) Altho, the guy across the street just got a 1966 Nova SS delivered Saturday morning. Sure sounds good, but kinda LOUD, LOL!

OP~ Do yourself a favor, go extend the olive branch to your neighbors. ESPECIALLY THE AGED ONE'S. No, really, like a "wellness" check. Do it. You may be surprised by the conditions older people may live in. If they don't drive, it's can be worse.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:56 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
I felt that people were much friendlier in Florida, and I can't figure out why they are like this here. What about you, do you acknowledge your neighbors?
Somehow I sense a religious tone to your question. We are your Christmas Cookie neighbors. We've been handing out Christmas Cookies to our neighbors for years. Our Christmas Cookies are not meant to be religious in any way. This year, for the first time ever, our cookie recipients have been asking us what church we go to. The answer is "we go to no church.' Our Christmas Cookies are just a neighborhood gift. If handing out Christmas Cookies without a church attached to our cookies means we are un-friendly, just toss our cookies in the trash. Or better yet, just put a note on our cookies saying that your cookies are not welcome here.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Our neighborhood is crazily friendly, probably disturbingly so to those who never wish to interact with their neighbors other than an occasional wave while disappearing into their garage.

We regularly give each other rides to and pick up from the airport - I've welcomed a couple home from vacation with a fried chicken and mashed potato dinner warming in their oven when they returned in a ride-share - borrow each other's tools, appliances, cars or pickups - even freezer space when we need to and are quick to offer dog-sitting services, watering, mail-pick up, keys to the housekeeper and the like when on vacation. I've been in nearly every house on the block socially and done extensive design work on several of them with the expressed intent to keep these wonderful neighbors around as long as possible by upgrading their homes. Since we live near the dog park we also have many, fur baby neighbors that we often greet with our dogs hanging out front when we are doing yard work.

We were married in our garden by one neighbor, with all the other neighbors in attendance. I designed an extensive addition for them as their little bungalow became too small for their growing family, we had a deck built for design trade by another. I've recruited a young couple to the block who have become best friends when I met them in an open house nearby. Telling them of the house built in the late '40s for a couple then in their nineties that this specific house would be available soon and to jump on it when it did. A couple of years later (and twelve years ago) they did and we are over at each other's houses for dinner or drinks several times a week becoming cherished "guncles" to their four y.o. son who always wants to play Monster Trucks with us or raid our jellybeans.

As the neighborhood demographics have substantially changed since we moved in there is sometimes a bit of cognitive dissonance with the new, far wealthier and Ivy league educated crew that has taken the place of some of the old timers- literally, charted jets and invites on their yacht, but even they for the most part embrace the overt neighborliness. And we welcome their extensive renovations that mostly just become better places to entertain with the neighbors.

There is though, a couple (I think its just a couple) that have moved in just a few weeks ago that took the place of a young, very social family with two young girls that have so far been incognito as they come. None of us have met them, not even the very gregarious family with the four y.o. next door which has driven us all a bit crazy with curiosity but with the surge, the holidays and them just trying to settle in we are thus far giving them a pass and their space. Even though they bought the house for a record high price they drive an older small Subaru with a manual transmission that they park on the street so that bodes well to their seemingly down to earth status that should work famously here. We've always greeted the new neighbors within days or weeks with a batch of lemon bars so we should find out soon.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:12 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Two of my neighbors get along pretty well with us, we have even vacationed with them. But all three families have elementary school age kids so the kids hang out all the time, probably much more than the adults as I can go a few weeks without seeing them since our houses are spread out.

The other single neighbor nearby is a friendly enough guy and has every tool I would ever need to borrow. LOL.

There are other people around here that maybe aren't as friendly or simply have no desire to talk to others... I feel that way some days too.

It's nice to be friendly with the neighbors but I try not to be too much up in their business, don't want it turning into Wisteria Lane over here.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:14 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
quick inventory of my immediate neighbors:
- single gay retiree who never comes out of his house
- widower in her mid-70's next door, will likely sell the home within next 2-3 years
- Jehova's witness family, no one works except dad. All kids are adults
- Young family from SF with a kindergartner
- 65 year old man married to a much younger woman, they have a kindergartner (!). He inherited the home from his parents. We bought our house from his aunt.
- Retired couple in their 70's

Get the idea? We're all friendly, but really how close are we really going to be with these folks.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'm always over at the neighbor's! They visit here, too. I'm probably the "loudest" neighbor on the block. (Motorcycles, LOL.) Altho, the guy across the street just got a 1966 Nova SS delivered Saturday morning. Sure sounds good, but kinda LOUD, LOL!

OP~ Do yourself a favor, go extend the olive branch to your neighbors. ESPECIALLY THE AGED ONE'S. No, really, like a "wellness" check. Do it. You may be surprised by the conditions older people may live in. If they don't drive, it's can be worse.
Yeah, when we moved in we had octogenarian sisters and an equally elderly caretaker/companion on one side and a late '70s couple on the other. We used to socialize with the sisters often, they would come to our parties and enjoy our friends and when they passed, each at the age of 96 in the house, I began taking over food to the now single elderly guy a couple of times a week for about four years. He wouldn't let us do anything else, yard work, clean up the house etc. but he loved my cooking. It was a great way to stay up with his health and condition and it was nothing for us to prepare an extra plate. The guy on the other side was a hoot. He used to store his brandy in our electrical box (I'm not sure that's to code lol) and regale in the best stories with us on the driveway when he went out to take a nip and we were around. It is always good to connect with most of the neighbors who are amenable but the elderly especially so as they generally have a good connection to the community and often give sage advice.

That's cool about the Nova. My brother is a painter and car restorer in Northern California and just sold a very customized 66 Nova SS - maybe this is it. Is it metallic copper colored with black graphics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego