Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 11:15 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Pretty good list; off the top of my head I'd add:
- La Jolla (particularly the coast walk and Coast Blvd - spectacular views the whole way, and the patio at Duke's is a great place to enjoy a meal with a view as well)

- Sunset Cliffs (more for the views - the nearest retail is Ocean Beach, which is a bit gritty and has a kind-of 1960s hippie vibe, although South Beach Bar & Grill has great fish tacos)

- Old Town (I assume that was an oversight, since you have Bazaar Del Mundo on your list)

- Coronado

- The Outlets in Carlsbad: also nearby are the Flower Fields (time your visit to when they're in bloom), Mt. Calavera (an extinct volcano - easy 1/2 mile hike to see), and the Museum of Making Music

Thanks a lot! Yes, I knew Old Town is like next door to Bazaar Del Mundo.

Coronado - I've nevr stayed at The Hotel Del Coronado, but I've walked the grounds a few times throughout the yrs.

Carlsbad Outlets - went once in Jan 2020 & didn't care for it as much as I hoped. It's not the spacious, sprawling shopping I really like

Haven't been to Sunset Cliffs.

Oh, even went to the USS Midway Museum 2 or 3x's. It's nice every once in a while.

Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum - We would have gone there, but they temporarily have been closed

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 11:26 AM

187 posts, read 131,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't care how touristy Seaport Village is, I quite like this place & go every time I go to San Diego every 6 mos to a year. I love the scenery, the carefree vacation ambience, etc. I wish it was 5x's bigger, but I guess it will be bigger once they revitalize & it's called The Seaport.

Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco is another top favorite of mine! It could be bigger too.
I agree about Seaport Village, it's weird because I usually shun these sorts of venues, but we do find ourselves there every few months. In my mind it's miles ahead of Fisherman's Wharf, mostly because of the weather. I lived in the SFBA for fifty years and I never, ever got used to the persistent ice-cold fog and wind. In fact, I hate it, with a passion. It's the main reason we moved to SDC.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:30 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Had family from east coast in town a few weeks ago so wanted to take them to seaport village before we dropped them at the airport. Spent almost 40 minutes trolling for a parking spot. Couldn’t find one. So we left. Parking situation needs to be addressed.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:49 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Had family from east coast in town a few weeks ago so wanted to take them to seaport village before we dropped them at the airport. Spent almost 40 minutes trolling for a parking spot. Couldn’t find one. So we left. Parking situation needs to be addressed.
If I have a choice, I ride the trolley to get downtown - never have a problem finding parking at a trolley stop elsewhere that's closer to home (the saved gas and parking fee $s more than make up for the trolley fare and aggravation of trying to finding a parking spot, at least for myself - YMMV).

Old 03-30-2022, 12:29 PM

440 posts, read 533,592 times
Quote:
GuyInSD, thanks. Yes, I have been thwere too. It's nice, just tiny.

& since you seem to live in SD or know the area well, I have a question. I always go to the same places when I visit SD. Are there any other nice shopping areas, unique areas to stroll, etc. OTHER THAN these below?

- Seaport Villege
- Bazaar Del Mundo
- San Diego county fair
- Prado Park w/ all the museums
- Sea World
- SD Zoo
- SD Wild Animal Park
- Gaslamp Quarter area, which I don't really like...too many bars. I've driven through it several times
- Liberty Public Market - not much here to me, except comic book store & restaurants
- This other little waterfront area in Point Loma w/ Point Loma Seafoods & Pizza Nova are to name a few
- Fashion Valley Mall
- UTC Mall

It's not big and sprawling, but the Spanish Village Art Center in Balboa Park (near the zoo) is a lovely collection of artisan leased shops and studios. Great place to find unique objects.

https://spanishvillageartcenter.com/

Quick note - it's Balboa Park - El Prado is the main route down through the busiest area and The Prado is the lovely restaurant near the west park entrance.

You can also try to time your visits to go to one of the Farmers Markets - which are generally about one-third each produce, food stands, and other vendors. Little Italy on Saturday mornings, Hillcrest on Sunday mornings, La Jolla on Sunday mornings, and Ocean Beach on Wednesday afternoon/evenings.

I would also add Cabrillo National Monument to your list if you haven't been - several walks and fantastic views of the ocean, city, and bay. And on the way there you pass through Fort Rosecrans National Cemetary - very moving.

https://www.nps.gov/cabr/index.htm

https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/ftrosecrans.asp

Old 03-30-2022, 01:54 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
It's not big and sprawling, but the Spanish Village Art Center in Balboa Park (near the zoo) is a lovely collection of artisan leased shops and studios. Great place to find unique objects.

Quick note - it's Balboa Park - El Prado is the main route down through the busiest area and The Prado is the lovely restaurant near the west park entrance.

You can also try to time your visits to go to one of the Farmers Markets - which are generally about one-third each produce, food stands, and other vendors. Little Italy on Saturday mornings, Hillcrest on Sunday mornings, La Jolla on Sunday mornings, and Ocean Beach on Wednesday afternoon/evenings.

I would also add Cabrillo National Monument to your list if you haven't been - several walks and fantastic views of the ocean, city, and bay. And on the way there you pass through Fort Rosecrans National Cemetary - very moving.

Yup, the cemetary has incredible views. Stop in, pay your respects, read some of the headstones and enjoy the view.

Little Italy is also very happening in the evening, farmers market or not. Since there are no nightclubs, only bars/restaurants its the nice/safe/clean place to visit on a nice San Diego evening unlike Gaslamp which tends to attract trouble after 8pm. They even closed off a street permanently and made a cool little promenade (plaza) there.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:10 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
GuyInSD, thanks. Yes, I have been thwere too. It's nice, just tiny.

& since you seem to live in SD or know the area well, I have a question. I always go to the same places when I visit SD. Are there any other nice shopping areas, unique areas to stroll, etc. OTHER THAN these below?

- Seaport Villege
- Bazaar Del Mundo
- San Diego county fair
- Prado Park w/ all the museums
- Sea World
- SD Zoo
- SD Wild Animal Park
- Gaslamp Quarter area, which I don't really like...too many bars. I've driven through it several times
- Liberty Public Market - not much here to me, except comic book store & restaurants
- This other little waterfront area in Point Loma w/ Point Loma Seafoods & Pizza Nova are to name a few
- Fashion Valley Mall
- UTC Mall
You might try downtown Carlsbad & Oceanside. They are full of shops to scour.

If you want "huge shopping malls" you're about 15 years too late. On-line shopping has killed those off.

Places like Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza are mere skeletons compared to what they used to be.

We won't even mention

Fashion Valley

Mission Valley

Horton Plaza

Plaza Camino Real

Trying to decipher, whether you are looking for a shopping mall, or a hiking trail.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, but worth a visit, is the Craftsmenship Museum. (Only open Fri-Sun.)

Old 03-30-2022, 07:43 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
We used to enjoy strolling around Seaport Village, when/if we could find parking. The last few times we've gone down there (before Covid), however, parking was insane. So we stopped going. But we liked that it was open, amazing harbor views, the little shops, plenty of food and snack options if you didn't want to do sit down restaurants. Now, I'm afraid, just like the embarcadero, (I miss Anthonys), they will have nothing but high priced and expensive stuff. And still no decent parking.

Old 03-30-2022, 09:21 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
I agree about Seaport Village, it's weird because I usually shun these sorts of venues, but we do find ourselves there every few months. In my mind it's miles ahead of Fisherman's Wharf, mostly because of the weather. I lived in the SFBA for fifty years and I never, ever got used to the persistent ice-cold fog and wind. In fact, I hate it, with a passion. It's the main reason we moved to SDC.

I like both of these wharfs/waterfront areas (Seaport Vlg & Fisheman's Wharf in SF) the best of the ones I know of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
We used to enjoy strolling around Seaport Village, when/if we could find parking. The last few times we've gone down there (before Covid), however, parking was insane. So we stopped going. But we liked that it was open, amazing harbor views, the little shops, plenty of food and snack options if you didn't want to do sit down restaurants. Now, I'm afraid, just like the embarcadero, (I miss Anthonys), they will have nothing but high priced and expensive stuff. And still no decent parking.

You guys must have gone on a Fri/Sat/Sun evening. I'm usually able to go on a weekday at opening time & pretty much get the parking spot of my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post

Thanks for the links! You're right, it is called Balboa Park. I was just thinking off the top of my head back when I was typing up that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Yup, the cemetary has incredible views. Stop in, pay your respects, read some of the headstones and enjoy the view.

Little Italy is also very happening in the evening, farmers market or not. Since there are no nightclubs, only bars/restaurants its the nice/safe/clean place to visit on a nice San Diego evening unlike Gaslamp which tends to attract trouble after 8pm. They even closed off a street permanently and made a cool little promenade (plaza) there.

The only place I go to in the Little Italy area is the Blick Art store on India St, but I'd like to try some of the restaurants in the area.

I'm not personally the type to visit cemeteries. Heck, I don't visit people I know, so sure don't visit strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You might try downtown Carlsbad & Oceanside. They are full of shops to scour.

If you want "huge shopping malls" you're about 15 years too late. On-line shopping has killed those off.

Places like Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza are mere skeletons compared to what they used to be.

We won't even mention

Fashion Valley

Mission Valley

Horton Plaza

Plaza Camino Real

Trying to decipher, whether you are looking for a shopping mall, or a hiking trail.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, but worth a visit, is the Craftsmenship Museum. (Only open Fri-Sun.)

What can I say, I like malls...always have & I've been to all the ones you've mentioned here. I don't recognize the Plaza Camino Real, but when I google it, it brings up The Shoppes at Carlsbad, so I guess it changed names.

Speaking of malls, my tops faves are (kind of in this order, but top several are equally nice & I'd swtch some around in the bottoms 1/2):

1) Westfield Century City in L.A. - should be nice, $1 billion renov (outdoor)
2) Westfield Topanga & the Village in Canoga Park (mostly indoor)
3) Westfield San Francisco Centre
4) Del Amo Mall in Torrance
5) Westfield UTC in San Diego
6) Fashion Shoq Mall in Las Vegas
7) Irvine Spectrum
8) Desert Hills Premium Outlets in Cabazon
9) Outlets at Orange - not bad
10) Glendale Galleria - not bad
11) The Grove & Americana at Brand
12) South Coast Plaza
13) Westfield Culver City - not bad, nice food court, close to Las Pampas
14) Brea Mall
15) Westfield Santa Anita, not to be confused w/ Main Place Santa Ana...that mall's eh!
16) The Oaks in Thousand Oaks
17) Fashion Island in Newport Beach - Mainly like the ambience
18) Fashion Valley in San Diego

Old 03-31-2022, 09:39 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Used to go there once in a while several years ago. The parking was always problematic and they jacked up the parking fees to over 20 bucks plus just for being there an hour or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego