Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2023, 03:30 PM

55 posts, read 32,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. Your oracles are speculation. That was the point

Actually, it IS about “the right to sleep.” And *your* rights of all kinds, as well. The right to exist with freedom of movement and without being required to conform to any arbitrary definitions of lifestyle (beyond straight up dangerous behaviors).

Our Constitution was created to bestow and protect a lot of personal freedoms. When those constitutional guarantees are speciously redefined to isolate only targeted demographics, YOU and everyone else are threatened.

No one wants *these people* “on the streets” … no one.
Freedom of movement?

My freedom of movement is curtailed when the city allows tents to block the sidewalk.

Children's freedom of movement is curtailed when public parks and playgrounds become campsites.

About the only free movement allowed by Martin are bowel movements in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 03:42 PM

A tent city was closed in Arizona but not in California.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:47 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Gale View Post
Freedom of movement?

My freedom of movement is curtailed when the city allows tents to block the sidewalk.

Children's freedom of movement is curtailed when public parks and playgrounds become campsites.

About the only free movement allowed by Martin are bowel movements in public.
Take your protests to the courts. See how far you get trying to specify which type of person is disallowed by law from moving freely.

Peeing and/or pooping in public are illegal in California under California Penal Code 647, ‘disorderly conduct.’

You know, all your indignation and protesting is just that. My point in responding isn’t to argue opposite points of view to your *feelings*. It’s to clarify that you don’t know what you are talking about when it comes to what’s legal, or not … and what quite legitimately lies behind various legal protections.

You want to opine and whine. Fine. But your protests aren’t based in knowledge of facts.

Old 05-27-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Gale View Post
Tent cities were ruled unconstitutional in Arizona but not in California.
Yes, and ?

Old 05-27-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, and ?
Some tent cities are more equal than others (some may get that and others may slam me for making an Animal Farm reference).

Last edited by Night Gale; 05-27-2023 at 04:19 PM..

Old 05-28-2023, 11:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I already did.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Our mayor and a few other "big city" mayors are pressing the state to dump another $6B into social programs aimed at helping the homeless. So if your situation is the norm, why do we need to do that?

Old 05-28-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
So if *you* were faced with that, you'd quit the world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I already did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.
Our mayor and a few other "big city" mayors are pressing the state to dump another $6B into social programs aimed at helping the homeless. So if your situation is the norm, why do we need to do that?
Not sure if he said at anytime that his “situation was the norm” … but, regardless, your follow-up question is baffling. If any number of homeless arrived at the “quit the world” resignation stage - why should the healthier world ‘quit the homeless’? The nominally functioning world is the entity in a position to do something productive (about wages, housing, healthcare, et al) … not the homeless.

That said, I take you back to my question that followed yours to Phinneas:

Quote:
How about *you* joosoon … what would *you* do?

Old 06-09-2023, 02:31 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
In spite of a good show, the number continues to rise.

San Diego County’s Official Homeless Count Rises 22% to 10,264

A more detailed breakdown of that figure in the article indicates women represent 29% of the homeless population. It doesn't say if that percentage has climbed or not but considering social services are by far more accessible to women than men, it speaks volumes to the extent of the problem.

Old 06-14-2023, 11:20 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
late breaking news:

"the San Diego City Council Tuesday evening voted 5-4 in favor of the Unsafe Camping Ordinance that would prohibit tent encampments in all public spaces throughout the city if shelter beds are available...The proposal would also ban tent encampments at all times in certain sensitive areas -- parks, canyons and near schools, transit stations and homeless shelters -- regardless of shelter capacity."

Old 06-14-2023, 11:45 AM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Good. Now lets see if it will actually be enforced.

There is no desire to get help when vagrancy is made too easy for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego