Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 10:18 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Santa Fe Depot opened in 1915, which is a pretty big indicator that city planners knew where the CBD would be over a decade prior to the airport coming along.

If that's not enough, the county courthouse was moved to C and Broadway in 1871.

So....they new where the new downtown would be, they knew they had plans on being a big city.....and they went ahead and put the airport where it is.

As for the port, when city leaders were told in the 1860's that they had the best harbor in western North America (which they almost certainly were), does anyone believe that making it almost exclusively for naval use was their first idea?

Los Angeles muscled their way to the top of west coast port business, and San Diego got the Navy.
The placement of the airport is but a footnote in the history of the growth in Los Angeles and San Diego.

It was the rail connection to to the transcontinental railroad that sealed LA's fate in growing much faster than San Diego.

Oakland was first tied to the national rail network in 1869.
Los Angeles was tied to the national rail network in the 1876 (and beat out San Diego in the process).

So if you want to "blame" the city fathers/boosters in the 1870's go right ahead.

Historical Context of LA's rail connection to the transcontinental railroad:

"The global economy further tightened its embrace of Los Angeles on September 5, 1876, when the city became the southern terminus of the transcontinental railroad. L.A. paid a dear price for that distinction; after pitting the city against San Diego, which with its excellent natural harbor might have become Southern California's commercial capital, the Southern Pacific Railroad extracted $610,000 from Los Angeles County for the construction of 50 miles of trunk line. But ultimately, the transcontinental link was a boon to L.A.'s business elite. It guaranteed that commercial freight would be routed through Los Angeles."

"The legacy of L.A's early railroads still reverberates today. Much of the nation's freight traffic moves through Los Angeles on its way to points inland."

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/p...global-economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
If I was king of San Diego, I would've turned what's now Snapdragon into a giant open space preserve. But at least Monster Jam isn't going to be at Petco anymore.
Agreed.

If it were up to me I'd eliminate the Sports Arena rebuild portion of the Midway Rising plan and replace it with more housing and open space. But that is just me.

I guess the long history of concerts at the Sports Arena could be an argument to rebuild it with newer/better facilities. So long as their is no public subsidy attached to it. From what I've read...there is none.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 09-19-2022 at 11:30 PM..

Old 09-20-2022, 10:20 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I was wondering the same - where will everybody park? Nowhere is shown for the apartments or the sports arena.

That's the new approach everywhere. The delusional thinking behind it is everyone will just use public transportation/won't own a car. It fundamentally ignores reality in this region/state. Developers love it because they don't have to set aside any earth space for people's vehicles. And most importantly, climber politicians will get to say "I added X number of houses during my tenure as mayor/city council/whoever" without the context that the housing was just shoehorned into an already crowded area with no regard to its broader impact.

Old 09-20-2022, 11:14 AM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
That's the new approach everywhere. The delusional thinking behind it is everyone will just use public transportation/won't own a car. It fundamentally ignores reality in this region/state. Developers love it because they don't have to set aside any earth space for people's vehicles. And most importantly, climber politicians will get to say "I added X number of houses during my tenure as mayor/city council/whoever" without the context that the housing was just shoehorned into an already crowded area with no regard to its broader impact.
Yep, just like pretending we can conserve our way out of the drought, or going 100% electric without a plan to support the extra strain on the grid.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:57 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Agreed.

If it were up to me I'd eliminate the Sports Arena rebuild portion of the Midway Rising plan and replace it with more housing and open space. But that is just me.

I guess the long history of concerts at the Sports Arena could be an argument to rebuild it with newer/better facilities. So long as their is no public subsidy attached to it. From what I've read...there is none.
How dare we preserve stuff and have people enjoy themselves. We need to make room for all the new folks.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:44 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How dare we preserve stuff and have people enjoy themselves. We need to make room for all the new folks.
I said the same thing right before you caravanned to SD decades ago

Old 09-20-2022, 09:42 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Wait a minute. Are you really kvetching about city planning 100 years ago as if it was a continuous process philosophically aligned contemporaneously?

No. You’re not really
No, not really.

Once upon a time there were big prizes up for grabs in southern California with two candidates eligible to win.

One took risks, was quick on the draw and the other is currently featuring minor league soccer and Snapdragon stadium college sportsball as the talk of the town.

That's all I'm saying.

Old 09-21-2022, 11:26 PM

Measure C will be on the ballot for voters of San Diego (in city limits only) in Nov. 2022.

The fate of the Midway Rising Plan will rise or fall based on that vote.

A Yes vote will allow an exception to the current 30 foot height limit in the area
A No vote will retain the 30 foot height limit in the area. That will make the plan DOA.

The prior vote on this was in Nov. 2020 and approx. 57 percent voted Yes (approve) but it was invalidated....

Old 09-22-2022, 11:02 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
No, not really.

Once upon a time there were big prizes up for grabs in southern California with two candidates eligible to win.

One took risks, was quick on the draw
and the other is currently featuring minor league soccer and Snapdragon stadium college sportsball as the talk of the town.

That's all I'm saying.
Yeah, I don’t think it’s that cut and dry? I can see how things are spun that way, or that SD’s bay is a huge asset, but anyone looking at both areas in the raw would see LA was clearly the better choice for a city? If you want to build a megalopolis nothing beats multiple flat basins as far as the eye can see. I’m sure the early barons saw this? Now what SD has done in recent decades is a different debate?

Old 09-22-2022, 01:20 PM

3,081 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Measure C will be on the ballot for voters of San Diego (in city limits only) in Nov. 2022.

The fate of the Midway Rising Plan will rise or fall based on that vote.

A Yes vote will allow an exception to the current 30 foot height limit in the area
A No vote will retain the 30 foot height limit in the area. That will make the plan DOA.

The prior vote on this was in Nov. 2020 and approx. 57 percent voted Yes (approve) but it was invalidated....
Why would I want to vote NO on it though? Midway is gross, redevelopment seems like a good thing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego