Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:35 PM

105 posts, read 376,001 times

Advertisements

I feel the need to mention that I am African American because I would like to live in a neighborhood where there is a presence of other upwardly mobile African americans. Some people may not think that is important and we should all just live in harmony but the fact remains that if I were a white american I would really find it difficult to live in an all black community. So, with that out of the way:
I have researched schools because I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. Poway seems to have the most number of academically excellent schools but the population of african americans in Poway according to Wikipedia is only 1.5 %.
  • I am looking for a little more of a balance like at least 10-15%. (I've researched the demographics on Scripps Ranch, Santee, La Jolla and Poway). These all are 7% and under. Any others?????
I also am a radiation therapist and am starting my own agency so that I can contract myself out. Ideally I'd like to stay near the surrounding radiation oncology centers.

And since I am going to work I'm sure at various facilities as a temporary employee) until I get a feel for the different hospitals and centers I don't want to buy a home until I know for sure where to plant my feet.
  • I plan to rent a furnished apartment until I ship my things from Illinois so where is the best place to live in respect to the schools, and relative to jobs. Any recommendations???
  • I can't stay in traffic for over an hour because I have to pick up my children from whatever school and daycare center they will be in.
  • How affordable is weekly full time day care for a 3 year old?
Any help with this would be great.
A coworker of mine raves about LaJolla and San diego. I know I will do well with finding employment. It's all the other issues I have the most concern about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,973 times
You will do fine Remember that SD is not an African American city like Atlanta or New Orleans. But hardworking , upwardly mobile people have always done well here regardless of race. Welcome

Old 05-26-2008, 07:10 PM

why thank you!!! I sure hope so. I'm uprooting my angels clear across America with the hopes of a new start on life. thanks for the encouragement!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
I agree with mewzikguy. While you may not find a large African American population, it is very diverse here. If you want Poway schools but more diversity, try other areas served by Poway schools. We live in 4S ranch (in the western part of Rancho Bernardo)and have excellent Poway schools. It is so diverse, there is not one predominate race so no one really feels like a minority group. There are also several African American teachers in the schools. Good luck to you.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Being African-American in Poway will put you into a very small minority. The question is are you OK with being in a diverse area with few other African-American families? These areas still have a reputation as having a quiet unfriendliness towards blacks and hispanics, and there have been several recent incidents involving nooses and swastikas in the High Schools there. If you are middle class, keep up your property, and generally are a decent person, I don't think you would have any problems.

Scripps Ranch could be better than Poway itself, it is closer to Mira Mesa which is more diverse. RB is pretty heavily white and retired. RP seems to be more heavily Asian but also diverse, and the newer developments from 4S to Carmel Valley are more diverse, but that diversity is about 80% white , 15% asians , 5% everyone else. Most of the brown people you will see are Latinos, Indians, some Filipinos, some Vietnamese, some Chinese, a few African-American families.

I would really do your homework before you make the decision - there are some city schools which are very good and much more diverse than Poway / RB. The new schools at Liberty Station in Point Loma would be a good place to start. Given the age of your kids you will have many options. La Mesa is also a good option. Chula Vista is honestly the best for diversity, and they have good schools, i.e. Eastlake High. I see a lot of middle-class African-American families here in the city.

San Diego's african-american community is small and geographically somewhat isolated in the southern part of the city. It's not like LA where there are upper-middle class african-american neighborhoods. Most of the more middle-class families have moved on to other parts in the city due to the crime and schools problems in the traditional neighborhoods.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 05-27-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Your info has been most helpful. I really appreciate it.

I wanted to ask you what did you think about La Jolla?
I found a "nice" (if you go by the website) apartment complex Trieste Apartment Villas on Mahalia Ave. The rent is reasonable and the school is Doyle Elementary. The school according to schoolmatters.com is very good and the demograpics show a nice mix of ethnic backgrounds with 5% African American. I can live with that.

I am going to continue researching Point Loma though along with the other 3 you mentioned. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Sassberto gave some good advice about North County. That area can be pretty conservative and white bread and while most people will be pretty normal and accepting, you might run into some ignorance there.

The La Jolla/"UTC" area is a good area and somewhat diverse, mainly asian and white. You are near UCSD so there will be a fair amount of college kids, but they're UCSD college kids so they tend to be quieter and nerdier than what you might consider the typical college student. Lots of young families and grad students to. I think this area would be good b/c while it may not have many blacks or Hispanics, the people tend to be fairly well educated and open minded. Trieste is a nice apartment complex on a smaller, less traveled street. It's a typical UTC apartment complex, newer, nice, and secured. You are also within walking distance of the UTC mall, La Jolla Village Shopping Center, and not a far walk from Doyle Elementary. That area is quiet and safe and you are close to the best parts of San Diego compared to Poway or somewhere in Inland North County. The beach, La Jolla Shores, is a only a few miles away and is one of the best family beaches in SD.

Also if you stay there a while and you're kids end up going to middle school and high school in University City, those schools are very diverse b/c they bus in kids from other parts of town.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
and the newer developments from 4S to Carmel Valley are more diverse, but that diversity is about 80% white , 15% asians , 5% everyone else. Most of the brown people you will see are Latinos, Indians, some Filipinos, some Vietnamese, some Chinese, a few African-American families.
Actually at our elementary school (Monterey Ridge) in 4S it is only 40% white (according to greatschools.net), so I would consider that pretty diverse.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
From one African American to another...I'm going to hit you with a reality check for your consideration, take or leave.

If you're trying to find upscale African Americans, successful, educated, etc...you'll be hard pressed. They're out there, but there's no one area to find them in. San Diego's black culture is primarily those you find on MTV Cribs, BET, or the latest Ludacris video. Am I stereotyping, yes...but it applies. Skyline alone is proof of what I'm saying, as is downtown, Imperial Beach, El Cajon, La Mesa, etc.

So, you'll have a choice to make. Do you:
(a) live in a very nice, affluent area with upwardly mobile folks not necessarily of the African American persuasion;
(b) live in a "middle ground" area where there's plenty of diversity, but not a lot of truly successful people (meaning they're striving to improve themselves); or
(c) live in the ghetto, where the people aren't what you want?

Strictly a suggestion...pick option 1 and simply accept that diversity, as I have. Otherwise you'll be dissatisfied at what you constantly find. I speak as someone who used to live in said ghetto, so I fully understand what both sides of the fence look like.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:10 PM

I appreciate the honesty "revelated" and this is exactly what I needed to know. thank you for the cut and dry of it. I guess meeting successful, educated black men in SD is like finding a needle in a haystack as well... Oh well. I'll live.
"Sav858" thank you for the feedback. I hope to visit in July to make a final decision.
Let me ask you this though. I was looking on www.equityapartments.com and came across Montierra (9904 Kika Court). Are you familiar with that area?

What's your take on Mira Mesa or Downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego