Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM

21 posts, read 91,606 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am 24, just graduated from college, and am looking for a teaching job in either San Diego County, Riverside County, or Orange County. I have been offered a position in the Cajon Valley school district and therefore am looking for an apartment there. I have been reading and hear that it isn't all that nice, but it is still in San Diego county and I figure it can't be that bad! I used to live in Temecula as a child before it became so populated, but I loved that area. What I am worried about is the fact that I am a young, single woman moving to a new state (from Florida) and am worried about living somewhere alone if it isn't in a great neighborhood. I will be living on a teacher's salary so won't be able to afford much more than 1200 a month, but also don't want to worry about bad neighbors, walking at night alone, and just being miserable for my first year teaching. If anyone can help me out and let me know if it is as bad as everybody is saying or if you think I would be ok. Mind you, I have been in school for 6 years alone, but have always lived in the nicer parts of town because Tallahassee is a very safe place to live. AHHH I am so nervous, help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 AM

95 posts, read 409,146 times
Don't be nervous. El Cajon isn't that bad. The thing is that it looks bad when compared to other areas in San Diego. $1200 actually is pretty good and you can work with that in other parts of San Diego. I live at Mission Beach and only pay $100 more in rent. Keep in mind my apartment is no bigger than a shoebox. The point I'm trying to make is you have more options than El Cajon, if that's what you want.

El Cajon gets a bad wrap. It's a mostly working class town, but does have some very nice areas.

As a single person myself, I know the position you are in. My thoughts are that you will be doing lots of driving into San Diego for a variety of reasons. If I were in your position, I'd look for an apartment in the city.

Good luck whatever you decide and welcome to San Diego. This is the most beautiful city in the country.

AJ

Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Live in La Mesa, parts are better than EC and drive from there. I'll pm you a good apt building...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:28 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
There is nothing wrong with El Cajon.Don't let some of these people scare you.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Commuting into El Cajon is a reverse commute from most of the city. Depending on the lifestyle you are looking for it would be easy to live on the west side of the city where the action is and commute to the Cajon Zone.

Young and single puts you in the beaches, downtown, or in the inner-city hip urban areas. It's only a 15 minute commute and you get to watch everyone else sitting in a traffic jam on the other side of the freeway.

For bang-for-the-buck I would second La Mesa, it is inbetween San Diego and El Cajon and a nice place to live. The Lake Murray area is safe and clean and a good option for an apartment rental.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:47 PM

21 posts, read 91,606 times
good to hear that traffic would be going into the city because I am now considering paying a few hundred more to live in a smaller san diego apartment because I want to meet other young people and be near all the action, so I was worried that even though it was only 15 miles to el cajon, that I would be sitting in traffic, but I am going to trust that you would not lie to me!!! lol, I can't wait to get back to California!!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,474 times
Default me too!

Hi! I recently moved to San Diego from NYC where I was in grad school for teaching. Right now I live in Pacific Beach and have been interviewing in El Cajon. I have gone there early in the morning a few times and it has only taken 15 min. It is a great commute and there is a whole lot of traffic going the opposite direction. If you see this I would love to talk to you about your job and compare experiences, etc. Email me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego