Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:16 PM

16 posts, read 64,550 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate out of Southern California. Has anyone else done this and where did you go. We have two young children, need good schools, community stuff, parks, low crime, etc. My two sister-in-laws relocated, one to Idaho and one to Arizona and in both cases they and their kids had a hard time due to the folks there not liking anyone from California. Is that the case everywhere??? Just wondering. We are looking at Utah, maybe Nevada, maybe Colorado..... Does anyone not hate us out there????

Anyone else had any luck findings a nice community to settle in to???

Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
There used to be a partly tongue-in-cheek guide for Californians seeking to fit in elsewhere .... understand that a lot of bitterness comes from taking in-your-face liberal politics into a conservative community. It may seem odd, but joining a respected local church, and taking up hunting and shooting at a range, seem to be good ways of fitting in to some of those places ... also completely avoiding local politics for a few years. And no ostentatious lifestyle.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Some of them truly believe Californians are heathens...lol

Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
No matter where you go it will always be something. We moved from S. CA 20 years ago to N. CA to find the same bias against folks from L.A. It might surprise some people to know that there are a token few of us fleeing the "in your face liberal politics" of CA. Move where you want and ignore the people who cant see beyond their nose. We have made some great friends (all from N.J) and enjoy our life here.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:44 PM

16 posts, read 64,550 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts. We are actually the most non-Californians out here it seems. We are Republican, we aren't wealthy AT ALL, not flashy, and my husband is a blue-collar NRA type guy. We are conservative. Still, I want a place with good schools for my kids. I believe a good education is key to opening doors of choices when one grows up.....We are leaving Cali because of the liberalism, overcrowding, poors schools, etc........

Old 01-07-2007, 02:56 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Another poster mentioned that he had narrowed down his search to Wyoming or Montana, because people in Idaho, etc. seemed so hostile towards former Californians. I don't know if this is helpful at all, but it is something to think about.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:23 PM

19 posts, read 88,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonewithCali View Post
the folks there not liking anyone from California.
How will they know if you don't tell them?

Old 01-07-2007, 08:51 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,446 times
What cracks me up about people complaining about Californians is that most of these "Californians" are FROM somewhere else themselves.
Natives have always resented people from other areas, especially the east coast, moving here and driving up our housing prices. We've had this steady influx for years, and can't even afford to stay in our own state!

BTW, half my family is extremely republican, and the other flamin' democrats. Gee, makes for *fun* family get togethers

One of the 3 native San Diegans still left...but hopefully not for long.
Anyone wanna buy my house?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganomics View Post
How will they know if you don't tell them?
Because they'll ask you again and again until you finally break down and tell them. Of course you'll try to tell them you're from Spokane, but then it will turn out that they know Spokane quite well and will start asking you embarrassing questions.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 14,119 times
I think this is a bizarre question. Do people really care where you come from as long as you contribute to and not suck dry the local economy? Come to Springfield, Missouri. It will almost be like home… crowded roads, overpriced homes, and bad neighborhoods: all without the miles of beaches and scenic parks. I know many people who have relocated here. My daughter’s best friend came here last year from Bakersville and we could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego