Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:21 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,105,506 times

Advertisements

I've lived in/around San Diego since the Navy brought me here around 90. I liked it so much I stayed when I got out. Anyway it has been rentals or (when I was in the military) military housing/barracks so I was never tied down to one area. I spent most of it in Lemon Grove (up by College Ave/University Ave), Pacific Beach or a few other places I was in and out of pretty quickly so my experience with gang and crime activity is limited to what I read in the papers and watch on tv.

Well the market and my budget actually coincide for a change so I'm looking to buy. From living out that way I know Lemon Grove has some good and some bad areas. I've found a few places in the triangle between Lemon Grove Ave, Massachusetts Ave and Broadway. The problem is I've barely driven through that area since I moved to PB 8 odd years ago and I know a day trip wouldn't tell me much besides looking for the usual gang tags or blatant displays.

Anyway I was looking for any advice from those who live or work in the area or just who keep up on gang crime activity in general. How's that area? Both crime and gang wise. I'm not one to take risks and for the most part am a homebody so I don't need glitz or a pristine, safe to wander the streets at night tossing money about, type area but I'd rather not have to bar the windows and keep my gun under my pillow if you know what I mean.

While I'm at it, with the foreclosures how they are, what are my other options (if any) for around 275-300k? I was looking at the Eastlake part of Chula Vista but it is tough finding something under 300k and the Mello Roos and HOAs tacked on just make it that much worse, heh.

I've been using this forum for a lot of my previous research and it always proves useful. I'm glad to finally be registered and posting now.

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,357,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Well the market and my budget actually coincide for a change so I'm looking to buy. From living out that way I know Lemon Grove has some good and some bad areas. I've found a few places in the triangle between Lemon Grove Ave, Massachusetts Ave and Broadway. The problem is I've barely driven through that area since I moved to PB 8 odd years ago and I know a day trip wouldn't tell me much besides looking for the usual gang tags or blatant displays.
You already know it's not really a bad area at all. Some of the houses are run-down. Broadway is certainly pretty dumpy but there are signs of life (even some new construction going in). But that's not really the gang area of Lemon Grove, that would really be Skyline which is further south and east. The area to the west, North Encanto, is not all that bad either.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Going to look at a couple properties that, though older, look like they've had a lot of upgrades done to them. I'll expand my search into Encanto too.

I feel like I'm chasing my tail though. I know pretty much what I want and many places are just out of budget or after getting my hopes up and digging deeper into them they end up being short sales with no chance of being a reality.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 AM

87 posts, read 474,874 times
I live right where you are talking about, I live off Massachussetts and Lemon Grove Avenue. It is a fine area. Blue collar, and safe. I have seen some real cute houses for sale around here. There is a big white wall over by the U-haul place and sometimes kids tag on it, but it always gets erased within hours.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 AM

Good to hear, thanks for the input!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,363 times
Massachussetts and Lemon Grove ave ..not far from Lido's, which is best pizza this side of New York!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:56 AM

258 posts, read 1,646,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog1 View Post
Massachussetts and Lemon Grove ave ..not far from Lido's, which is best pizza this side of New York!
I'll have to try out Lido's soon !

Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,799 times
Im looking at a home on Meadowbrook and my research into Lemon Grove and gang activity led me to this post. Medowbrook is off Paradise Valley Rd. An associate said I should steer clear but I'm not one to pass on an opportunity off one opinion. So please, fire away.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,357,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPS View Post
Im looking at a home on Meadowbrook and my research into Lemon Grove and gang activity led me to this post. Medowbrook is off Paradise Valley Rd. An associate said I should steer clear but I'm not one to pass on an opportunity off one opinion. So please, fire away.
Meadowbrook Drive and Paradise Valley Rd is notorious gang area and the apartments are possibly the worst in San Diego. It depends on exactly where the house is but generally speaking the Bay Terraces / Jamacha-Lomita / Skyline zone is pretty bad. Paradise Hills is a few miles west and is a lot better.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:28 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,235,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Meadowbrook Drive and Paradise Valley Rd is notorious gang area and the apartments are possibly the worst in San Diego. It depends on exactly where the house is but generally speaking the Bay Terraces / Jamacha-Lomita / Skyline zone is pretty bad. Paradise Hills is a few miles west and is a lot better.

Yup this ^^, but its not Lemon Grove (proper). If you want to know more about LG, either post here or send me a PM.

North side of Paradise Valley Road (except that sliver of Bay Terraces) is SD proper and south side backing to the 54 is Paradise Hills. Yes generally there is a history of gang violence in these areas. On the flip side it has become quite popular with house flippers for either buying to rent out or flip. The house you are looking at might be on a better street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego