Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to make a move from Chicago and was wondering if San Diego is the place I should be considering. Humidity and cold air affect me quite a bit so need a place that has warm/dry air pretty much most of the year. Do you recommend any other cities? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 11:16 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
I know nothing about asthma, but San Diego's air seems to have quite a bit of particulate matter in it. A fair amount of dust blows towards the urban coastal areas from the deserts to the east, and the combination of local smog and smog blown down the coast from LA/OC adds even more to the combination. However, if you have allergies, or your asthma is made worse by allergies, San Diego is better than most places, and I would definitely endorse a move to San Diego on that basis.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:50 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times
thanks for the response! do you know of any other cities i should consider? thanks...

Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,597 times
Some parts of San Diego county are good, some are not.

Escondido is definitely a no-no. I speak from experience when I say that Escondido has terrible air quality.

San Marcos wasn't that bad.

Poway has its moments. It really varies from day to day, it seems.

Rancho Bernardo is quite clean.

Downtown isn't good at all.

That's all I can say, from experience. As far as other cities...I found Irvine to be quite clean.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,975 times
Escondido air quality is not bad. We are in that area every summer and my son has asthma, he has never had a problem their.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,150,265 times
Coastal areas are cool and humid. Fortunately for you (and unfortunately for our vegetation), moist ocean air typically does not make it deep inland. Warm and dry areas start roughly 5 miles from the coast. Winters are obviously cooler but temperature in inland parts of the city rarely goes below 45-50 F during the day, 65-70 F is common.

Is this the *ideal* city ... I can't really say, I'm not an asthmatic, but if you need warm and dry air, I imagine that desert cities like Las Vegas, Phoenix, Tucson could be good places to live.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Escondido air quality is not bad. We are in that area every summer and my son has asthma, he has never had a problem their.
Exactly. The air is just fine here.

I think overall San Diego has very clean air compared to a lot of places.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:57 AM

202 posts, read 872,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post

Not really, were ranked fairly bad among most cities for air quality, look at the EPA site and American Lung Association ratings, last I checked we were 15th in the nation. Also, for the previous post, Escondido does have bad air quality, it's ranked low on the above sites too, it's some of the worst in SD besides Santee and El Cajon. Just go check it out on a summer day, most of the time the haze is very noticeable. I can feel just when I drive through there, my breathing gets deeper, and thats coming from someone who lived in LA for a few years.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM

55 posts, read 178,156 times
I have had severe asthma all my life. I have never been as healthy as when I lived in San Diego. I came from the northern Kentucky (Cincinnati area) where I was hospitalized almost once a year for my asthma up until my early 20s. While living in San Diego I very rarely needed my inhaler and I was able to cut back on my daily medicines, I thought I might have been just growing out of it, that is, until I moved to Austin. Once I left San Diego it was just as bad as it was in Kentucky. So…Yeah I highly recommend San Diego for asthmatics.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:14 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post

San Diego just made the list of Greenest, cleanest cities per a very reputable brookings institute research paper, a few years in the making....
Coming from Chicago, you should be far better off in San Diego

Look at these links....very typical San Diego green mindset....a very mindful and clean city...

San Diego EarthWorks home

Photovoltaics "Green" Administration Building | Environmental Services

Partner Profile | Green Power Partnership | US EPA

City looks at green building standards | The San Diego Union-Tribune

San Diego Metropolitan Magazine - Going Green San Diego (http://www.sandiegometro.com/2007/may/green.php - broken link)

As you can see, SD is a hardcore green, health-conscious city......and more power to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego