Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My daughter has a coyote appearing mornings about 8:30 a.m. in her cul de sac which is right by a canyon in the area about San Diego State University in San Diego, CA 92115. I found this site while looking for information to help her understand the threat. I read here that someone wrote that coyotes are not good jumpers. This isn't accurate, and in contrast, COYOTES ARE AMAZING JUMPERS, and they can spring without even running first, can get over a 6-7' fence like nothing. They have been known to try to carry away small dogs being walked on leashes, or even on have tried to carry off a toddler. They will attack a large dog, even 100 lbs., and as was mentioned have been known to kill a German Shepherd, but I suspect the coyote felt threatened.

I think, though, they normally only hunt small animals, so one would need to carry a cane, if there was a coyote running around where you walk your dog, if your dog was small to medium in size. It seems like a single coyote wouldn't attack a large dog when hunting alone, but as a pack, I am sure they would do so. If they felt threatened, they might kill a large dog, but they normally only hunt small animals, and actually are, surprisingly, omnivorous, and even eat berries and such where available. That is a new one to me, I had no idea.

My daughter is afraid to let her Sheltie out alone even in her own yard because the coyote can just hop in and out of there anytime it wants to. Fences are nothing to coyotes, unless they are specially designed to keep them out, with the park put under the group and the overhang. No one uses those kinds of fences in the city, though, that could change if coyotes get increasingly abundant and more aggressive.

I have also read pepper spray is effective, and they suggest mothballs and rags soaked in ammonia to keep them out of your yard, but to me that is only a temporary solution because as soon as the odors subside, they would be right back in your yard, if your yard was on their hunting territory. Once they find anything to eat in an area, they come back rerepeatedly for more. I read also that if you see a coyote watching you walk your dog, they might be stalking you as they are so smart that they will learn when a certain person takes his dog walking.

Check out the awesome website called [URL="http://www.dailycoyote.com"]The Daily Coyote[/URL] This gal adopted an orphaned puppy, and he now is named Charlie and is one of her three pets, the two others being a puppy and a cat. A coyote gotten as a puppy can be reared as a pet, however, they are very leery of strangers and only bond with just a few people She said, Charlie hides when anyone comes to visit but the one friend Charlie is okay with. Charlies is gentle with her, affectionate, but needs lots of exercise morning and night. She lives in Wyoming so when he has his winter coat, he is gorgeous. A little scary in some pictures, but you must see her photographs, they are amazing.

A well-fed coyote reared with a human is whole other creature. They come into my backyard routinely because I leave out food for the local possums and raccoons. I probably should stop, but I have seen several of them right outside my sliding glass door, and when I came out, they bolted in panic. I live two blocks from Lake Murray, where they have also been since I moved in year in 1968. Good luck with living with coyotes; they are not going anywhere, and are becoming more bold than ever.

Still, they have a right to live, but it does get unnerving when they are seen in broad daylight, as if that is normal for them. Thanks, Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:55 AM

324 posts, read 1,701,716 times
Actually you had the wrong link for Charlie the Coyote. He's gorgeous. Here's the link.

The Daily Coyote

I live in Northern CA and we have Coyotes in our backyard at times. I'm missing a cat since March.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,904 times
I live in La Costa Valley, Carlsbad. They are everywhere. Taking dogs for walk on neighborhood paths or under the electric wires run into them frequently. I've had as many as 3 (that I could see) not more than 20 feet away from me and my dogs. The dogs get very nervous. I've taken to carrying a boat air horn with me. Blow that once and watch them disperse. Funny part is to hear police siren - and then the coyotes howl after that.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 PM

489 posts, read 1,950,875 times
I still occasionally hear them howling in the distance at Eastlake, just like the old days. Obviously, the "heavy" traffic volume on Pay-Way 125 has not scared them all off yet
My dog's ears definitely perk up when she hears them--she recognizes the noise as some type of "dog" but definitely different.
I recently saw a pair of them running across Central Ave. near the Bonita Post Office, very much in a residential area.

Last edited by jkoz; 04-21-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
I grew up in the sticks so I know more than I ever wanted to know about yotes as I trapped and hunted them out of necessity. They kill calves, chickens, pigs and any other farm animal they can drag down. They are extremely smart and as powerful a predator as you can find for their size. If you see one skinned they look just like a Greyhound which is what we used to hunt them in mid-West. A Yote can leap a 6 foot fence like it is nothing, a Fox can jump one 8-10.

Yes, Coyotes eat about anything they can catch and will kill a dog any chance they get though in rural areas they will cross breed. I've seen them all the way down to PB. Most Coyotes will leave you alone if you don't mess with them but they are cat and small dog vacuums.

Put a dog and yote one on one and I'll bet on the yote every time unless it's a trained fighting dog. Yotes learn how to fight fast or they are dead from other yote packs.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,617 times
Tjere are coyotes in the College/Rolando Park area. Our neighbors dog was just attacked last night at 9:00 pm. He let him out for last pee,,,walked backed in for just one second and his poor dog was attacked. He has a very tall fence! It had it in his mouth and tried to drag it away. It is in the hospital right now. Everyone in this area,,,,please keep your dogs in at night.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,686,861 times
^^Wow, that's crazy! I thought coyotes were only in the outskirts/rural sections of the city. I guess they're living in the canyons with the skunks and opossums. Hope their dog comes out ok.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,542,716 times
As the person who originally started this thread last year, obviously I was wrong about coyotes and jumping! This is so disheartening - - I have a backyard for my dog and now I don't want to use it!

Since so many seem to have stories about this, does having multiple dogs lessen the chance that coyotes might attack? Are they looking to poach a loan animal?

Looks like my dog could be living on the back porch forever!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:06 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,542,716 times
I don't want to break any rules of the website here by promoting anything, but this whole thread freaked me out enough that I started doing some research on coyote-"proof" options - - there is something out there called "coyote rollers" that people may want to look up. I'm only seeing positive reactions to them by dog websites. They're pretty cheap, although I think I need to have a better fence before I can get them.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,532,815 times
I see them often in Tecoyote Canyon, sometimes even at midday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego