Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 31,857 times

Advertisements

We are a military family moving to San Diego from Texas. We are looking for a nice family friendly neighborhood and a house of 4+ bedrooms. Schools are important, we have 1 child entering kindergarden and 2 pre-K children and are looking for Spanish Immersion and good pre-K programs. Have heard Poway is a good school district but am worried that most homes are older homes and would like a newer, modern home. Can anyone tell me where would be a good area to live in for the following:

* Under 45 min commute to Naval Station SD (32nd Street)
* Good School district
* Spanish Immersion Program highly desireable
* Lots of shopping, entertainment in close proximity
* newer home to rent under $2500/month (1997 or newer 4 bdrms)

Am I asking too much? We've looked online and find some great homes. But since we don't know the neighborhoods . . . ? Hoping we can get some local insight! THANKS SO MUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bloom View Post
* Under 45 min commute to Naval Station SD (32nd Street)
* Good School district
* Spanish Immersion Program highly desireable
* Lots of shopping, entertainment in close proximity
* newer home to rent under $2500/month (1997 or newer 4 bdrms)
I don't think any one place meets this criteria.

Poway to 32nd street is 45 minutes without traffic. With traffic, expect an hour or more. I commute from Poway to San Diego and it is 45 minutes on a good day.

You will probably not find many homes built before 1970 within 45 minutes of 32nd street naval station. Personally I would ditch either the new house requirement or the 45 minute commute. New houses are mostly built on the outskirts of the city where school districts are better. You may have a problem with the 2500 number too.

Close proximity to shopping and entertainment in a place like Poway or RB means your idea of shopping involves Walmart and you find Costco entertaining. The shopping and entertainment are mostly in the city or on the coast.

As for Spanish Language immersion, there are 2 that I know of, both in SDUSD, the language academy near my house in College Area and one in Clairemont, both pretty far away from Poway.

If you can stand a house built pre 1997 (or even pre-1967) I would look at areas like Scripps Ranch, Point Loma, Mount Helix, Chula Vista (east) or Fletcher Hills. Larger houses, easier access to downtown, mostly good schools, and more options for shopping and entertainment.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:08 PM

87 posts, read 643,025 times
I'd suggest looking into Poway.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Ok, so the easy commute is out, that's for my husband anyway! I'm more concerned with a newer home, staying relatively close to this rent rate and a Spanish immersion program is important to me. Trouble is it's hard to find info on the Spanish immersion online (been looking) and as far as shopping, yes I do mean Wal-Mart and grocery stores, a few department stores are nice too, Costco would be great! Entertainment is Chili's & Barnes & Noble or a movie, we can drive into the city/beach on the weekends. We have 3 very small children, so anything is better than Chuck E Cheese!

Poway is an area we were looking into at first, but my husband was concerned with the older housing. Are there any newer housing areas in Poway (1990+)

Thanks, Anyone else have any good suggestions . . . ?
Well, we'll be there soon, just wanting to make the most of our House Hunting week there.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Poway is an area we were looking into at first, but my husband was concerned with the older housing. Are there any newer housing areas in Poway (1990+)
Majority of the houses in Poway are early-to-mid 1990's big-beige-box tract homes, should fit your criteria perfectly.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:13 PM

121 posts, read 663,082 times
[quote=Desert Bloom;268194]Ok, so the easy commute is out, that's for my husband anyway! I'm more concerned with a newer home, staying relatively close to this rent rate and a Spanish immersion program is important to me. Trouble is it's hard to find info on the Spanish immersion online (been looking) and as far as shopping, yes I do mean Wal-Mart and grocery stores, a few department stores are nice too, Costco would be great! Entertainment is Chili's & Barnes & Noble or a movie, we can drive into the city/beach on the weekends. We have 3 very small children, so anything is better than Chuck E Cheese!

Well, we'll be there soon, just wanting to

With little kids there is so much to do. Even from Poway, Sea World, SD ZOO etc shouldn't be to bad of a drive. There are several moms groups (military wives) that to playdates and all that so look into that. Also check out www.cinchouse.com....it's a great military wives support website! I'm jelous! San Diego is such a wonderful place, esp if you have small children because there is so much to do!!

You know what I'd suggest, I wonder if the Family Support Center on 32n st has a rental place they refer military to? It would be worth a call there to ask.
Good luck! You'll find something!!

Old 01-25-2007, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,542 times
There is a spanish immersion program in Poway - Valley Elementary. http://www.valleyelementary.com/

Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 PM

Ooh great thanks! I just found out the early registration deadline for SD is January 31! I'm sure the other districts are similar! I want to apply for them all, just in case, but no San Diego address makes it hard! Well, thanks for the tip!

Anna

Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,531 times
Poway is so far from 32nd st. Try National City- much closer. 10 minutes...
Coronado is also close but the prices, well 2500 may be doable for a smaller pad.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM

54 posts, read 233,643 times
Quote:
Ok, so the easy commute is out, that's for my husband anyway! I'm more concerned with a newer home, staying relatively close to this rent rate and a Spanish immersion program is important to me. Trouble is it's hard to find info on the Spanish immersion online (been looking) and as far as shopping, yes I do mean Wal-Mart and grocery stores, a few department stores are nice too, Costco would be great! Entertainment is Chili's & Barnes & Noble or a movie, we can drive into the city/beach on the weekends. We have 3 very small children, so anything is better than Chuck E Cheese!

Well, we'll be there soon, just wanting to make the most of our House Hunting week there.
You can go to www.cisl.org for more info about taking spanish classes. They have a language center in San Diego and San Francisco. There is also a really good and cheap private tutor named Genoveva (20 bucks an hour). She's been a teacher for the past 5 years and is also good with children. The bad side is that she's only available after 5pm, but you can call her for more info: 858/752-1157 . Also, you can search for spanish classes or other private tutors on craigslist.com.

Also, the Language Academy (sandi.net/languageacademy/) has K-8 classes as well as classes for adults.

If you have problems locating schools on the internet, do a google search for "spanish schools, san diego" you'll come up with ALOT.

Hope this helps. Don't forget, if you like anything other posters have to say or advice they've given, add it to their reputation!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego