Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 14,497 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 y/o woman moving to San Diego in a month with my 6 year old son. Mission Hills is my ideal neighborhood, but I'm trying to expand my selection just in case I don't find a place in Mission Hills within the next few weeks. My criteria:
- Good elementary school
- In the city, or close enough to take the public transportation into the city
- A walkable neighborhood
- I'm a professional, and liberal in my views, to briefly describe my "type."
- I also like to go bike riding, so trails nearby would be nice

I would appreciate information about the following neighborhoods (and any other suggestions that I didn't include here):
- Mission Valley
- San Carlos
- Tierrasanta
- UTC
- Pacific Beach
- Point Loma
- Clairemont

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genysis80 View Post
- Mission Valley
- San Carlos
- Tierrasanta
- UTC
- Pacific Beach
- Point Loma
- Clairemont
- Mission Valley: hi-density stripmall rental zone, good for a temporary situation
- San Carlos: quiet, suburban, postwar single-family tract, older, mostly still middle-class
- Tierrasanta: quiet, suburban, 70's tract, lots of condos and rentals
- UTC: entry-level luxury, hi-density, stripmall rental zone
- Pacific Beach: ranges from beer-soaked to quiet, beach city, dense, cottages
- Point Loma: ranges from entry level condo to mansions of historical significance, probably the nicest area on your list
- Clairemont: postwar tract, similar to San Carlos but slightly more run-down.

Of all these only Point Loma (the nice area with the single-family homes) offers anything remotely close to the type of housing that is common in Mission Hills.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM

812 posts, read 4,085,601 times
Pretty much the only "walkable" neighborhoods you mentioned are PB and Point Loma, and ditto if you're looking for the older housing stock. I'd go block by block in PB, though, because many places in PB aren't a very good environment for a 6 year old, unless you want to explain why some bro is peeing on your lawn on friday nights... some PB areas are fine, though, but schools are a different story.

Other places you mentioned may be slightly walkable for suburban standards, but not in the traditional city sense, because just about every other place is postwar, although mission valley has great access to the trolley.

Frankly, other than parts of Point Loma, the other areas you mentioned don't exactly have the same demographic as Mission Hills (MH is quite fancy, although there is admittedly a decent mix). If you're looking for Mission Hills-like areas in terms of age, look, inner city feel, and affluence, I'd be looking more at places like Kensington, Burlingame/South Park, parts of University Heights... places like that.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

470 posts, read 1,708,594 times
You might want to look in Bankers Hill as well.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM

35 posts, read 91,265 times
Default banker's hill does not feed grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
You might want to look in Bankers Hill as well.
the elementary school is not good
same with Pt Loma--the "walkable area" feeds Cabrillo which is not well rated.

I just did the same process. We decided on mission hills, pt loma (sunset view or silvergate area), or curie elementary up in university city (total suburbia).

go for mission hills and just search craigslist daily.
San Diego Unified School District Official Home Page use the search term boundary map and you can see where to live for the schools. GreatSchools.net has the school info

good luck

Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,322 times
Hello to everyone!
I have the same problem,and i will appreciate if you help me
I am moving next year to San Diego and I am wondering which are the good areas.
I am 31,my husband 32 and my daughter is 2 years old.
I will appreciate if you give me more info and for kindergardens aswel
Thanks a lot to everyone in advance!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 AM

470 posts, read 1,708,594 times
San Diego Unified School District has a multitude of Charter Schools. It's not necessary to exclude yourself from a desirable neighborhood strictly because of a feeder school.

RE: Banker's Hill

Old 06-28-2008, 10:23 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzer View Post
San Diego Unified School District has a multitude of Charter Schools. It's not necessary to exclude yourself from a desirable neighborhood strictly because of a feeder school.

RE: Banker's Hill
There is also open enrollment, VEEP, intra-district transfers.

If you are an urban parent you should be well-versed in these systems. The idea of sending your kid to the local school in an urban area is quite outdated for most people.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,497 times
Thanks for the replies. I did look into the open enrollment programs and charter schools, but unfortunately, the deadlines expired like back in January. So I think my only option is to find a place to live within a desirable school zone, and then decide what to do from there for next year. Right now, craigslist.com and 4rentinla.com are my obsessions. Two more questions:
1) How is the commute from San Carlos and Tierrasanta to Hillcrest and La Jolla?
2) How is the public transportation from those areas into downtown? I looked at the MTS website and saw that it is estimated to take more than an hr, but I found that hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego