Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 AM

72 posts, read 115,960 times

Advertisements

We may have to relocate from Charlotte NC, a real family town, to Carlsbad for employment reasons. My GREATEST concern is the welfare of my rising 8th grader. She currently attends a Christian-based private school. It is good academically. The best thing is that the students are basically good kids and treat one another pretty decently, for the most part. AND it is SAFE there...I hear of no drug stuff, etc. going on.
Question: Can I achieve that same school and neighborhood environment in the Carlsbad area?! Note: I loved living in Baltimore and having access to family in the D.C. area. I loved the Chesapeake Bay at our "doorstep" so to speak! (The Baltimore-D.C.-Philly corridor have a lot of diversity relative to its people, the arts, museums, geography, etc.) Carlsbad/San Diego seem a "world away"!! Help---I am feeling very insecure about this possible move! (I will continue to read other threads for the region. I don't know if there is a specific forum for Carlsbad?!) THANK YOU!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
There are many excellent Christian schools in the area if that is what you want to continue with for your daughter. Carlsbad is a beautiful city with plenty to offer on it's own and really not that far from San Diego if you want access to San Diego's cultural activities. I don't have specific advice on Carlsbad personally, but I'm sure many others on this forum can help. How far of a commute would your husband be willing to drive and what is your price range for housing?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:04 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Many of San Diego's suburbs and suburban cities are not "neighborhood-focused" . They tend to be more focused on geographically separated housing developments with limited vehicle access and large, non-pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Commercial districts tend to be of the stripmall / chain store variety.

Most North County Cities (Carlsbad included) generally consist of pre-war and early post-war era housing and commercial strips west of 5 and then mass-produced tract housing east of the 5. West of 5, Carlsbad has a small commercial district centered around PCH and then a few neighborhoods of smaller postwar ranch homes very close to the beach. There is also some more recent condo infill in that area. East of I-5 is almost entirely large tract homes ranging from the early 80's to present as well as some areas of very large 'mcmansion'-style homes on small lots.

You will not find anything approximating the eastern city neighborhood feel in Southern California without moving into an area very close to either a historic coastal city (i.e. La Jolla) or the urban area proper (neighborhoods around Downtown San Diego), however these areas are typically priced at a premium and have lackluster schools compared to somewhere like Carlsbad.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 AM

98 posts, read 344,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishgirl View Post
We may have to relocate from Charlotte NC, a real family town, to Carlsbad for employment reasons. My GREATEST concern is the welfare of my rising 8th grader. She currently attends a Christian-based private school. It is good academically. The best thing is that the students are basically good kids and treat one another pretty decently, for the most part. AND it is SAFE there...I hear of no drug stuff, etc. going on.
Question: Can I achieve that same school and neighborhood environment in the Carlsbad area?! Note: I loved living in Baltimore and having access to family in the D.C. area. I loved the Chesapeake Bay at our "doorstep" so to speak! (The Baltimore-D.C.-Philly corridor have a lot of diversity relative to its people, the arts, museums, geography, etc.) Carlsbad/San Diego seem a "world away"!! Help---I am feeling very insecure about this possible move! (I will continue to read other threads for the region. I don't know if there is a specific forum for Carlsbad?!) THANK YOU!!

I absolutely love Carlsbad and I think you will too. It actually has a MUCH more small town feeling that Charlotte. (I went to college in Raleigh and have lived in Siler City, Fayetteville, Jacksonville and Wilmington. I also lived in Baltimore and Northern VA). My husband and I transfered from the Carlsbad area 18 months ago, and we can't wait to get back. It took about a year to get used to the West Coast vibe, but once you get over that, it's a wonderful place to live. The weather is fabulous, the people are SO friendly and the schools are some of the best in the country. Carlsbad is much more expensive than Charlotte, but WELL worth it in my opinion. Carlsbad is VERY safe. I lived in the Olde Town/Village area, and we never even locked out doors. The Aviara area is a but more pretentious, but very safe, and again, great schools.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:24 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,205 times
Why move there? Because its beautiful and close to everything!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,318 times
Why move to Carlsbad? Because it's ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and it's a nicer neighborhood. I used to live there. Hopefully you can afford it.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM

14 posts, read 45,108 times
Why move to Carlsbad? The warm beaches! I live in S.F. bay area and would love to move to Carlsbad. We're vacationing there this summer....Encinitas and Lucadia are nice too.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 AM

80 posts, read 375,578 times
We live in Carlsbad and it's great! Beautiful weather, happy people, laid back, friendly. Not as much as a small town feel as what you describe - Carlsbad is HUGE and very spread out so you spend a lot of time driving, but the schools are excellent and there are tons of kid-friendly activities all year round.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 PM

29 posts, read 88,026 times
I live in Carlsbad and grew up in North San Diego. While I wish the area didn't grow, I have to tell you Carlsbad is awesome. It is crowded and expensive but very pretty. Schools are really good. I think you ould love it! Old Carlsbad is really cool and people are more laid back. South Carlsbad is more pretentious but still great schools and family- oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego