Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 60,146 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to the Chula Vista area sometime next year. I'm single with no kids, and just looking for a nice condo to move into. I've checked online and the prices are pretty decent. I was wondering how safe Chula Vista is overall? I'm not looking for a gated community exactly (not that I could afford it but just somewhere I can walk to and from my car and drive around without having to look over my shoulder.

If the Chula Vista area isn't that great, any suggestions for surrounding areas to move to?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,541,442 times
If you compare CV to all US cities it's size we are a little bit above average when it comes to crime.CV does have a lot of robberies,and auto theft but that's pretty much all of SD.As for a place where you "don't have to look over your shoulder" that is not a good way to think.Things happen in RPQ,Carmel Vly,La Jolla,Carlsbad,Poway,places that people would put on the safe area list.So when something does happen in those places people blow it out of proportion or the news over-does it.Chula Vista is fine.It's in my 5 places recommended county wide.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:13 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,701,333 times
Personally I've never cared for any part of the south bay.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Just like me with the North County.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Just like me with the North County.
Yeah, I guess we all have our areas we are most comfortable with. I lived in East county forever so that's where I feel more at home

Old 07-02-2008, 12:20 AM

489 posts, read 1,948,706 times
Chula Vista gets a bad rap mainly because of its proximity to Mexico. but overall it is a decent area, particularly Eastern Chula Vista (Eastlake/Otay Ranch). I am partial because it's the only part of S.D. I've lived since moving here 17 years ago. I've noticed that many Chula Vista natives tend to stay in C.V., which says something. I would suggest a condo in Eastlake or Otay Ranch. Warning: If you see a condo advertised on a street in Chula Vista named "Woodlawn"--stay away! That is probably the roughest part of the area and is on the far western end.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,405,193 times
We live East of the 805 in Chula Vista and its without a doubt the safest "big town" I've ever lived in. I'm married with two kids and feel extremely safe here in Chula Vista. I've lived in the DC area, Norfolk/Va. Beach and a few of the bigger cities in Florida , San Diego is hands down the safest I've lived in.

Like some of the previous posters said if you look at condos in the Eastlake/ Otay Ranch areas of Chula Vista or just about anywhere East of the 805 you should be in good shape. Especially Eastlake , thats where we plan on buying when we can.

We're military and unfortuately have to move back to the DC area for three years....dreading it because its so riddled with crime....can't wait to get back to San Diego/Chula Vista !!!! Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 60,146 times
thanks for everyone's replies! i've gotten some great advice and i'm feeling better about the move to chula vista.

the reason why i was wondering about the safety in that area is that i was looking at condos in the area and they're all really affordable!! from where i'm from (MD/DC area), a 2 bed 2 bath 1000 sq. ft. condo would run about $450,000, not the $200,000 that i've been seeing in the chula vista area. i'm just not used to seeing affordable places in safe areas

thanks again all!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 AM

349 posts, read 1,538,880 times
I agree with everyone, stay on the east side (Eastlake, Rolling Hills, Otay Ranch). I once called a police officer out to Eastlake and he told me there were only 2 officers patrolling east of the 805 because it was so much safer than the west side. I can't remember how many officers he said were patrolling the west side but it was enough that I was shocked at the difference. Chula Vista covers a pretty large area, it is the 2nd largest city in the county after the city of San Diego. I feel very safe on the east side.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:32 AM

I live in Ranch Del Rey and there is just about the same amount of crime.I see the same in O.Ranch,Eastlake,and SM Ranch.The crime on the other side of the 805 is a little more dangerous and dramatic,but there is still a reputation issue when you divide CV by the 805.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego