Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM

42 posts, read 221,536 times

Advertisements

I have looked into various cites about CA and its huge diversity. However, let’s concentrate on SD. How well is diversity accepted? Do different races get along or are minority just ignored? Is there a particular area where different races are not accepted or are made uncomfortable? Well I saw something about Santee and the KKK so I guess that answers my question on that one. Our recent visit to SD turned out to be great..we are light skinned Hispanics and don't stand out a lot..my 3 year old has light honey colored hair with blondish highlights (natural) but you can tell we're Hispanic. We just hung around Mission Beach and it's immediate surroundings.. and didn't see a problem. We didn't have a chance to visit stores or many restaurants for that matter. I have friends who are Anglo and they tell me they've seen some foolish behavior towards minority but I'm not sure what part of SD they were referring to. My family is honest, hard working and considerate of others. We want a place to work and have fun as well. We have 4 kids and expect them to go to the University like we did. We would like this new place (hopefully SD) to give them an opportunity to go to school and make new (divers) friends and make a life there. I know every place you go will have its ups and downs we see that in AZ but I just don’t want it to be a BIG problema (oops…. it slipped)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
I lived in Santee for years and never once encounted any kkk dealings. Yes, San Diego is very diverse, even Santee. I left in 2001 and can only imagine it has grown even MORE diverse in the past 7 years. You'll be fine.

One tip, people will know you are hispanic when you use the term "anglo"... It's something that me or my "anglo" friends have never said, only heard from the hispanics.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:27 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
California and San Diego are very diverse and racially accepting. There are some pockets (usually in the north and eastern inland areas) where things are a bit more 'old fashioned' - Fallbrook, Vista, Santee come to mind as places where diversity, while tolerated, is not exactly embraced.

And Breeze, while you might not have encountered them, the east county still has it's fair share of peckerwood / ex-con / biker types flying with the same old nazi and racist agenda, especially in Lakeside, El Cajon and Santee. Those guys tend to cause more problems with each other than anyone else these days.

By the same token Vista, Oceanside, Escondido has been very aggressive with it's "anti illegal immigrant" stance which many feel is covert racism. The San Diego Minutemen have strong ties to longstanding racist groups in San Diego.

Compared to most of the country I would still say Californians and San Diegans are much more tolerant than elsewhere.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info...we don't really say "Anglo" when we speak. The reason I specified it in this manner was to get the correct point across.. I guess. I hope I didn't come across in the wrong manner. I had a lady that was giving her opinion on SD and when she new of this incident she replied "They (reffering to my friends) might of just taken things wrong you Hispanics always take things wrong..you're so defensive" and like I mentioned before, my friends were not of Hispanic origin. But on the other hand, our friends always leave a message " Call us back... your Anglo friends" So I guess you have a point about some Hispanics using that somewhat.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieandFrank View Post
Thanks for the info...we don't really say "Anglo" when we speak. The reason I specified it in this manner was to get the correct point across.. I guess. I hope I didn't come across in the wrong manner. I had a lady that was giving her opinion on SD and when she new of this incident she replied "They (reffering to my friends) might of just taken things wrong you Hispanics always take things wrong..you're so defensive" and like I mentioned before, my friends were not of Hispanic origin. But on the other hand, our friends always leave a message " Call us back... your Anglo friends" So I guess you have a point about some Hispanics using that somewhat.

I probably got uppity because that term grates on my nerves...don't use it

Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Is Gringo better?... a BIG J/K Sassberto hit a tune on the part about "come to mind as places where diversity, while tolerated, is not exactly embraced." Like I mentioned before...we get along with anyone who is respectful the same way we are. I've researched many areas around the USA and you’d be surprised on the answers I get. I was reading a San Diego newspaper last week we were there and read an article on minutemen protesting in front of a Catholic Church. If I remember correctly a baptism was going on and some words were said to the people there. It's sad to say that in this day and age we still have to deal with this issue. Whether it's plain discrimination or reverse discrimination. I LOVE who we are and am proud of it...but frankly being alive and being a free human being is the greatest thing possible. My husband and I are in our Mid 30’s and have still felt our share of things. Still…we are raising our kids to hopefully be of a new generation of unity and hopefully many others will do the same to create only 1 same nation under God. Because needless to say I’ve seen that when people bleed no matter their outside color…we all bleed RED. Unfortunately, bad things still exist and I wouldn't like to start off in a place where my family would be a target of racism. Thanks for all your input.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:36 PM

I honestly think you would do fine in Santee. REally! We really liked Santee alot and if we moved back to SD, I would look in Santee first, or La Mesa.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieandFrank View Post
Unfortunately, bad things still exist and I wouldn't like to start off in a place where my family would be a target of racism. Thanks for all your input.
I wouldn't go that far. This is still California, after all. I don't think you would be a target for racism in any of the places I mentioned.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
North County is very diverse compared to southern San Diego. I don't find it too diverse down there.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
North County is very diverse compared to southern San Diego. I don't find it too diverse down there.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego