Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 14,860 times

Advertisements

Can you bring a cooler that contains food and drinks into the San Diego Zoo? My family and I are leaving in a few days for a week in San Diego and the zoo is a top priority along with Legoland. I've been reading the messages on this board and would also like to go to La Jolla beach, Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park and possibly Seaworld. Looking for ways to save money as much as possible...any tips welcome and thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:09 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
I've brought in water bottles and baby food in the stroller but thats it. I was a member so I don't know how well they enforce food rules. I can say that the food is ridiculously expensive and the food options at Balboa Park are limited/just as expensive.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:41 PM

138 posts, read 1,001,933 times
You can't bring food in the park, but there is re-entry, so you can bring lunch and leave it in the car, if you have one. The parking lot is not far from the park, so it won't be a long walk. Just park under a tree or something to keep the shade over the food to keep it cold!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:47 AM

601 posts, read 1,450,915 times
Go to Yelp.com for food choices near the Zoo. Eat and fuel up before you enter the Zoo. That way you don't have to buy their overpriced, low quality food.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 PM

542 posts, read 691,599 times
You can most definitely bring food into the park. You only cannot bring in alcohol or glass bottles (or straws).

Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 AM

6 posts, read 23,931 times
Zoo yes...Legoland no. Night time zoo is great during the summer.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM

43 posts, read 79,447 times
Just an FYI: Albert's has pretty good food in the zoo and isn't much more than most of the (really bad) food shacks. By far the best at any zoo I have visited. There are only two amusement park restaurants I'd rate higher: Blue Bayou & Club 33 inside Disneyland.

Outside the zoo you could find something in the area immediately to the north...

The Wild Animal Park/Safari Park (new name) doesn't have anything comparable to Albert's. The best food inside Legoland is at the Fun Town Market.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Cannot bring coolers into the zoo or wildlife park. Straight from their website:

Can I bring food into the parks?
Guests may bring personal food items into our parks. Large food storage containers such as coolers are not permitted on grounds, and no facilities are available for food storage.

For the convenience of guests, there are picnic areas located outside the Zoo’s main entrance and near the Safari Park’s entry plaza within easy walking distance of our parking lots. Zoo and Park guests who have already entered our parks may get their hand stamped for re-entry on the same day of their visit during park operating hours. Our education department makes special accommodations for school groups who have set up their visit as part of our ongoing programs. For the safety of guests and the animals in our care, please do not bring glass, alcohol, or straws into our parks.

Here is the link if you are interested:
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/zoo/faq/faq_general

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 03-04-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 46,655 times
A cooler? Probably not, but you can definitely bring a backpack full of food and drinks. My wife and I are members and we take food in all the time. The only restrictions I know of are no alcohol and no straws and plastic disposable lids.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKellyCrew4 View Post
Zoo yes...Legoland no. Night time zoo is great during the summer.
FYI Old Thread I just did both Zoo and Legoland over the week. Did San Diego Sea World last trip

1 - Legoland/Zoo don't search. So regardless of the "rules" you are safe to go.
2 - Zoo allows food specifically (per FAQ on website) Legoland does not. If you like rules, there you go
3 - seaworld does search. Though small things can be allowed. Though seaworld says no snacks, they let me bring in fruit. Maybe a personal decision of the guard

Legoland knows full well that people bring food into the park (there was a question on why you didn't eat at the park in survey and one option was bring my own food).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: